PDA

View Full Version : Bowl1820's 2015-16 Scores

bowl1820
09-02-2015, 11:41 AM
Well last night was the start of the winter league after laying off the summer, A lackluster beginning but it's a start.

First thing I did was go to the ProShop and ordered some new shoes, I decided on the Brunswick TPU-X's. Cost $170 out the door, should have by tomorrow.

I'd like to have stayed with Dexter, But since the 9's are new and just rolling out, we don't really know if there are any issues in them, Plus they only come with one sole and they cost more and I didn't want a older model SST.

The TPU-X's have been updated to a newer version which fixes the issues with the first gen. ones, also they come with extra soles and are cheaper which saved me enough money that can pay for two nights of bowling.

Well we had a full team(4) lined up for last night, but the 4th man didn't show. After some calls we found out he wasn't going to bowl after all, seems his wife quit the league she was on.

So "he" decided he won't bowl. I wouldn't have minded if he had just let us know, I had another guy there I could have got, but now he's on another team. Oh well someone will come along.

Started off the season with a somewhat lacking 152-174-195 for a 521, they had some oil out for the start. That will get changed though about thanksgiving time. We have no idea who won, using the new hdcp system now and we didn't know all the averages yet.

The need for new shoes are very evident now, the traction sole on my current ones should be called a slip&slid sole. Hard to get a good push off when there's no grip.

I started off using the Bad A$$ but had to switch when I pulled the finger grips out of it and my glue was dried up. So finished off with my old Storm Pyro.

I left seven 10 pins for the night and picked up all but one.

Aslan
09-02-2015, 02:15 PM
We have no idea who won, using the new hdcp system now and we didn't know all the averages yet.

I HATE that about the beginning of the season. You leave the center thinking you 'might' have taken 1 or 2...but it could be 0 or 4.

bowl1820
09-09-2015, 10:49 PM
Week 2

Well a welcome surprise, our fourth bowler appeared! He decided he could bowl after all. He bought a $30k truck last year and just bought a $25k motorcycle and had to see if he could afford bowling this year.

But the downer was my new shoes hadn't arrive distributor was out and hadn't informed us, but they are supposed to be here Friday.

I'll be glad when they arrive, It's hard to concentrate on shot making when your thinking about your footing. Plus my feet were getting a little sore by the end of the night with my current shoes. The support in them is getting a bit weak.

It's a slow start this year for scoring, I had 147-174-181 for a 502 series this time.

Last week I started with the Bad A$$, this week I started with the DV8 Dude. I wanted to see how they each with would react with the current shot through the night.

The Dude reacted very smoothly as usual, but was lacking in surface to handle the fresh oil. As the night wore on it started working better.

I only left three 10 pins, but only picked up one.

Two weeks in using the "Team Difference" handicap system, We won 1 game last week and only 1 game this week.

Comparing this system to the old handicap system, It was as I figured. There's basically no difference. We won and lost the same number of games. The place where there is a difference is in the margin of pins you win or lose by.

In the "Team Difference" system the games are slightly closer, this system is likely to affect those games that would have been very close or ties in the old system and could swing them the other way.

Stormed1
09-10-2015, 12:41 AM
I can relate to the no-show bowler situation.. When the season ended last year we had a solid lineup for this year. Then my son got a new job in which he works Wednesday nights so he had to quit. We had someone lined up to replace him and he backed out the day of our first league night. Another bowler backed out a week before we started so we bowled the first 2 weeks 1q bowler short even though my daughter was subbing for us.I have 2 part time guys lined up but neither can start till sometime next month. One is waiting for clearance from his doctor after having open heart surgery last march. The other is waiting for his daughters track season to end as their meets are on Wednesdays. So far we are 9-12 for the season

bowl1820
09-16-2015, 10:55 PM
Week 3

181-172-180 for a 533 series

Well not much better than last week, but maybe a little more consistent. Not many strikes mostly just shooting spares, so it didn't add up to much.

I had my new shoes and was wearing them, I was nervous about wearing them during league. I had wore them at home to get them to loosen up some and conform to my feet some.

Before league I got on the lanes and just did slides over and over trying to get the feel of them and broke in some.

I've done it before, but It was a experience none the less. Seeing just how much I had lost with on my old shoes compared to the new ones.

The grip of the new traction shoe was really strong with the H-2 shark tooth heel and TP3 rubber push off sole.

The slide of the SP-8 white microfiber slide sole wasn't bad, I think this white microfiber sole feels just slightly more grippy than the old Dexter Tan colored S8 sole, a few more games on it and I think it will be alright though.

The H-5 graduated rubber heel is the one that needs some more breaking in, it's similar to the Dexter Tri-Dex heel. Being new it's kind of grabby, If you shift weight back on your heel you can really feel it start braking you. You need to keep your weight shifted forward on the ball of your foot, which is more where you want it.

I tried the H-7 leather heel once , the lane would need to be a bit more tacky for me to use it, it felt good during the approach. But when you wanted to stop and your weight shifted to your heel, you kept going.

A few more games and they should be okay, the TPU-X's do feel good on your feet.

Aslan
09-18-2015, 01:59 PM
I gotta ask my coach about new shoes later this month. Now that sliding is getting to be more and more part of my shot (versus planting)...suddenly I can't wear the dirty old shoes I was wearing.

In Vegas I started to stick too much at Gold Coast so I bought a pair of those shoe covers. But damn...that was TOO much slide. Had to go back to the shoes and just hope for the best.

bowl1820
09-23-2015, 12:28 PM
week 4

Another mediocre week 187-148-201 for a 536 series. Let five 10 pins, 1 the 1st gm, 3 the 2nd & 1 the 3rd gm. and picked up 2.

That 2nd game the shot really changed fast, Likely because of all the plastic balls being used. several splits and that game went away. Started with the Bad A$$ (I had changed surface on it before start, which I think gave it better control at the start), 3switched to the Dude right at the end of the 2nd game.

We played the first place team and we only took one point because we tied the first game. We bowled about average and were missing one person. They bowled just a little over average.

The first place team consists of a 80 ave. using a Hello Kitty ball, a 111 ave. using a house ball, a 200 average using a plastic T-zone and the 188 ave. using a Track 300c. and we spotted them 69 pins.

The new shoes are breaking in okay, the heel is starting to not be so grabby. I may have to change soles to see if I can get a little more slide the white microfiber okay, but I feel I'm coming up a little short on my slide. Could be the heel is slowing me down to quick though.

Tony
09-23-2015, 03:53 PM
week 4

Another mediocre week 187-148-201 for a 536 series. Let five 10 pins, 1 the 1st gm, 3 the 2nd & 1 the 3rd gm. and picked up 2.

That 2nd game the shot really changed fast, Likely because of all the plastic balls being used. several splits and that game went away. Started with the Bad A$$ (I had changed surface on it before start, which I think gave it better control at the start), 3switched to the Dude right at the end of the 2nd game.

We played the first place team and we only took one point because we tied the first game. We bowled about average and were missing one person. They bowled just a little over average.

The first place team consists of a 80 ave. using a Hello Kitty ball, a 111 ave. using a house ball, a 200 average using a plastic T-zone and the 188 ave. using a Track 300c. and we spotted them 69 pins.

The new shoes are breaking in okay, the heel is starting to not be so grabby. I may have to change soles to see if I can get a little more slide the white microfiber okay, but I feel I'm coming up a little short on my slide. Could be the heel is slowing me down to quick though.

That's quite the group you're bowling against, a hello kitty ball and a t zone with a 200 average ! That might be interesting to watch, not sure about bowling them....and they are the 1st place team ?

Sounds like the team from the traveling Circus !

bowl1820
09-23-2015, 04:26 PM
That's quite the group you're bowling against, a hello kitty ball and a t zone with a 200 average ! That might be interesting to watch, not sure about bowling them....and they are the 1st place team ?

Sounds like the team from the traveling Circus !

After 4 weeks they have 25 points out of a possible 28.

It was something watching the girl throwing the hello kitty ball, gutter ball then spare, gutter ball nine count. She shot 51 POA

The 200 ave guy, came in with book ave of 161.

First week goes 232-173-246
2nd week goes 158-216-182
3rd week 178-204-217
4th week 156-223-168

Aslan
09-23-2015, 06:04 PM
Maybe they calculated his entering average wrong.

They had me listed at a entering 162. When I inquired, he showed me my two leagues; 162 and 149 and they take the highest average. I reluctantly told him the 149 was a sport shot league and should be adjusted higher. So now I have an entering 174 average. DOHT! :mad:

Mike White
09-23-2015, 07:49 PM
Maybe they calculated his entering average wrong.

They had me listed at a entering 162. When I inquired, he showed me my two leagues; 162 and 149 and they take the highest average. I reluctantly told him the 149 was a sport shot league and should be adjusted higher. So now I have an entering 174 average. DOHT! :mad:

Unless USBC has changed the rules regarding sport condition averages, you only apply that adjustment if you have no non-sport average.

Aslan
09-24-2015, 03:24 PM
Unless USBC has changed the rules regarding sport condition averages, you only apply that adjustment if you have no non-sport average.

*$&$

Well....I'd feel like a terdburgler to ask him to change it back.

But I did not know that.

It's not gonna matter. After 2 weeks I'm averaging 173 and we're 8-0. Dropping my entering average to 162 is just gonna tick off the sidepot guys and give us a better shot at winning the next week's points and start 12-0. Then the average will be 173 legitimately.

But thanks. Thread mini-hijack over.

bowl1820
10-07-2015, 10:45 PM
Week 5's disaster was a 169-145-133 for a 447 series, but we at least took 5 out of 7 point's.

Was really pulling the ball a lot, speed was down. About 80% of this is operator error, the other 20% is because of the slow break in of the white microfiber slide sole of my new shoes. The white MF sole that comes with the shoes doesn't slide as much as the old standard tan leather sole. (I've seen that complaint from others about the white microfiber soles, that started back when Dexter did away with the old Tan soles.)

I found I was coming up about 2+ feet short of where I normally stop at the foul line. At first I thought this was because of the graduated rubber heel, But it was the white sole causing me to stop too early.

bowl1820
10-07-2015, 11:34 PM
Week 6 Not much improvement, but some hope.

148-227-160 for a 535

The main thing this week was I got my slide working better, which caused my speed to increase about 2 mph over last week. I was hitting pins at 15 mph. The low games are mainly missed spares.

For the shoes I made some slight mods.

http://s5.postimg.org/sqv38pv9j/heeladjustment.jpg

As you can see on the heel, the rubber has these tiny rubber nubs. I took my palm sander and removed most of them in the yellow boxed area. They were already beginning to wear off anyway and that area is were most of the braking happens. (That was a trick on older shoes if you needed more slide, you rounded that leading edge off some.)

As for the white microfiber sole, I had the option to try the Grey felt which slides alot or just stick on the Tan leather sole from my Dexters (which would fit). But I gave one thing a try first.

I pulled the W.M.F. sole off while still at home and poured some talc on it and rubbed the heck out of it. (Don't worry I knocked it all off before I went to the lanes, so nothing got on them I checked before we started bowling).

Something I noticed about the W.M.F. sole, I think that microfiber might pick up a some moisture in it. Because that's how it felt sliding, like when the approaches have a lot of humidity on them. Also when I was rubbing the talc on it, the powder started feeling odd like it was picking up moisture out of the sole.

My slide was a bunch better after that, I didn't have to touch that sole all night. I think if it stays that way it should smooth out good now.

Other than the sole, The TPU-X's fitting great! The traction sole worked great!

Aslan
10-08-2015, 02:11 AM
I bought a pair of cheap off brand shoes at Sears...simply because they were only $19.99 new on clearance.

Well, Mudpuppy Cliff Notes: They fit great and felt great...but the sole was so slippery I felt like Bambi on ice and the heel was so badly manufactured that there were uneven parts that would stick. So one minute you're sliding out of control and then some random part of the heel will catch and catch hard. I took them back.

bowl1820
10-13-2015, 11:56 PM
A better night this week, 211-193-206 for a 610 series and broke even in the brackets. Left 4 ten pins and picked up 3 and we took all the points.

I think I got the surface on the Bad A$$ dialed in now for the THS here. Went with a Gray Scotchbrite (600 Grit paper will work too), sanding down from my PAP followed by a light touch of 1500 grit paper. This got it through the heads good with a bit more aggressive move on the backend.

We only had 5 bowlers tonight 3 on the other team didn't show up, so the shot held up and the BA worked good for all three games.

Shoes are doing good, slide is improving. I moved up on the approach too, since I had been coming up short on my slide. My speed was back up some too.

Tony
10-14-2015, 01:06 AM
Nice scoring ! Sounds like the change in surface is working well.

Makes for some quick games with all those bowlers missing !

I'm guessing they stayed home to watch the CUBS !

Amyers
10-14-2015, 08:51 AM
Congrats bowl I know you struggled at the start keep it up

vdubtx
10-14-2015, 11:06 AM
Nice shooting Bowl1820!

bowl1820
10-14-2015, 12:56 PM
Nice scoring ! Sounds like the change in surface is working well.

Makes for some quick games with all those bowlers missing !

I'm guessing they stayed home to watch the CUBS !

Yeah that's a little more surface than I was using before, (even though I was executing badly at the time) I could see the surface before was a little too touchy.

The games didn't go too fast, everyone tried to keep a normal pace up. So we didn't get done too much earlier than the rest.

Congrats bowl I know you struggled at the start keep it up

Nice shooting Bowl1820!

Thanks! Now to see if I can repeat it next week.

I had videoed myself the last 2 weeks to see what was doing wrong, so maybe it's paying off, fingers crossed.

bowl1820
10-29-2015, 12:48 AM
week 8
Well slid back down again 158-201-143 series 502, We won all our points though.

Carry just wasn't there for me, a lot of spare shooting. I was able to up my speed some for the second game which helped, but 3rd game even that didn't help.

bowl1820
10-29-2015, 12:50 AM
week 9

Well this was our first position night, But wasn't bowling much better 161-222-162 for a 545 series. We won most of the points.

At least I wasn't alone all of us on our pair were having a problem, both lanes were really playing different than is typical.

The left lane wasn't bad and I had most of my strikes on it, the right lane though the backends were flying. I had to move about 6 boards left and play deep on it.

I made a slight change in release toward the end of the 1st game and started striking. The shot held till about the end of the second game and the line was done for.

Everyones games were similar the first game, everyone struggled. The 2nd game scores all went up and the 3rd fell off. And everyone struggled in similar ways caused by the differences in the lanes.

The odd thing was watching the lanes on either side of us, they didn't have this problem. I got there a little later than usual so didn't see the lanes being oiled.

bowl1820
11-13-2015, 05:20 PM
Well slump continues
Scores 162-157-192 for a 511 series, Left 5 ten pins and picked up 3.

bowl1820
11-13-2015, 06:03 PM
Scores 202-152-184 for a 538 series, Left 4 ten pins and picked up 2.

Nothing really to shout about this week, The first game had high hopes. Lots of strikes at the beginning then it dwindles to just spare shooting.

Second game hardly any strikes, made most spare just didn't add up to anything. Third game strikes and spare just didn't add up here either.

Bright spot was I won brackets with those scores.

We had 2 300 games shot, down at the other end of the house.

Main change this night was I removed the white microfiber slide sole from my TPU-X's and replaced it with my old Dexter buckskin slide sole. Much better slide! I have the white microfiber slide sole broke in as much as I think it is going to get.

The White microfiber slide soles the shoe companies replaced the yellow/tan buckskin soles with, Just do not slide as like the old buckskin ones did. They'd be okay for a slicker approach, But not for our approaches.

I'm going to order a new yellow/tan buckskin one from bowlingball.com, so I can put the old one back on my SST7's.

The real bright spot is my team has been climbing the ladder, we're now in 5th place and only5 points out of 1st.

The next couple of week we play teams ahead of us, so if we can keep winning we might hit 1st place. Still got a ways to the end of the half, but we got a chance.

bowl1820
11-28-2015, 09:09 PM
week 12
Scores 156-194-191 for a 541 series

It took some work but, We took 4 points. My team was missing 2 players and the other team had 2 missing also (though they prebowled) so it was going fast.

bowl1820
11-28-2015, 09:12 PM
week 13

Scores 158-212-192 for a 562 series

We only took 2 points, all the teams seemed to be struggling this night. There wasn't much of a backend.

I only left four 10 pins and pick up all of them.

Blomer
11-29-2015, 03:45 PM
It's seems t me at least always about this time of year I struggle and then pick it up. I. Sure you will get it going again.

bowl1820
12-07-2015, 08:34 PM
Scores: 139-165-164 for a 468 series.

Well at least I wasn't the only one struggling. Always next time.

I found one thing out, they changed the pattern to 42'.

bowl1820
01-03-2016, 02:05 PM
Too catch up:

Week 15: 185-146-160 for a 491 series
Week 16: 188-169-201 for a 558 series
Week 17: 144-157-159 for a 460 series

Week 18:End of 1st half:
190-170-193 for a 553 series

Well this was a miserable first half, average is 9 pins below my entering average (Which was down from what it should be).

Looking at how the scores breakdown by lanes, Scoring is still higher toward the middle of the house slightly. With the low and high ends being lower (Typically because that's were theres more open bowling and they either start or finish oiling.)

Next half will have to try and learn from past mistakes and step up the pace. Really got to work on my focus, been distracted too much. But the cause appears to be clearing up, so here's hoping.

http://s5.postimg.org/amkg4vblz/K_Q_2015_16_1st_half_chart.jpg

The team is not doing too bad this year, for the first half we took 50% of the points and finished in 17th place. Which was only 7 points out 7th place.

bowl1820
01-08-2016, 09:49 PM
Week 19

Well its the start of a new half, but not a end to the slump. 159-143-168 for a 470 series.

Shooting a bunch of spares and keeping pretty clean, but that doesn't add up to much. Just can't string the strikes together.

Watching others who bowl similar to me, they are having similar problems to mine.

bowl1820
01-13-2016, 12:04 AM
Well got a little bit going tonight, Shot 180-262-214 for a 656 series.

Changed the surface on the BA to P800/Royal Compound/Royal Shine, then kept it kind of tighter inside. I had hold to the left and some recovery on the outside. Had to keep the speed consistent, 3rd game started slowing down till I noticed the mph on the monitor.

I was doing the cleaning after every frame again, only left 2 ten pins.

Amyers
01-13-2016, 09:59 AM
Well got a little bit going tonight, Shot 180-262-214 for a 656 series.

Changed the surface on the BA to P800/Royal Compound/Royal Shine, then kept it kind of tighter inside. I had hold to the left and some recovery on the outside. Had to keep the speed consistent, 3rd game started slowing down till I noticed the mph on the monitor.

I was doing the cleaning after every frame again, only left 2 ten pins.

Congrats Bowl I know it's been a struggle for a while. It's always nice when you make a change and it works. Good luck next week.

bowl1820
01-13-2016, 12:45 PM
Congrats Bowl I know it's been a struggle for a while. It's always nice when you make a change and it works. Good luck next week.

Thanks! I'll breathe a sigh of relief when I have 6's a few weeks in a row.

bowl1820
01-30-2016, 12:36 AM
Week 22

Well the slump continues, at least the low carry does. The odd thing about this slump is out of 22 weeks I've only bowled under average 8 of those weeks. Not that much under either, I'm picking up spares left and right, but few strikes so it adds up to little.

This night it was 168-157-224 for a 549 series. Started that 3rd game off with a hambone.

The spare leave for everyone this night was the greek church, it was popping up on ours and every lane around us. I left the 4-6-7-9 and just about picked it up.

I got to say one thing, I don't know if the cleaning after everyshot is responisble, but I haven't hardly been leaving the 10 pin like I was since I've been doing it. This night only 2 left, one in the first game and one in the last.

JasonNJ
01-30-2016, 01:24 AM
I got to say one thing, I don't know if the cleaning after everyshot is responisble, but I haven't hardly been leaving the 10 pin like I was since I've been doing it. This night only 2 left, one in the first game and one in the last.

Hmmm....I'm going to try this the next night of league.

bowl1820
02-03-2016, 10:55 PM
Well not particularly bowling great, but not exactly bad either. This week it was 188-155-213 for a 556 series. We are 5 weeks into the 2nd half and I'm averaging 10 pins higher than the 1st half.

I'm staying real clean, Splits are down, corner pin leaves are down, The problem is I'm not stringing strikes.

We've made it into first place (though after this week I just found we dropped to 2nd place, out of 1st by only one point though).

This week was something, backends were way tight. They had a small afternoon league just before ours and I don't think they stripped the lanes good when it oiled.

The lanes were pretty oily, this image shows the oil on my ball after my last shot at the end of game 3 and that was playing in about the same area as everyone else had been. The lanes were breaking down real slow. I even tried playing outside and there was that much oil there.

http://s5.postimg.org/x4lfba2rr/oil_on_ball_at_end_of_night.jpg.

I was even cleaning the ball every frame. Now I can't say it has anything to do with it, but since I've been cleaning every frame. Which I started doing at the start of this half my average has gone up, maybe it's a coincidence.

But my corner pins leaves have fell way off. I've only been leaving 2-3 10pins at most, last night was the most I've left for awhile 6. (I was testing another cleaner "simple green & alcohol mix" this night though, which I won't be putting back in my bag it don't make the cut.) and most of them weren't pocket hits to begin with.

bowl1820
02-10-2016, 09:05 AM
Week 24

Well had a good night shot 235-192-298 for a 725 series. For a 197 pins over average, I think that will get me league season highs.

Didn't know how the night would go, we were on the last pair of lanes 31-32 and thats where they started oiling also.

I was also trying out my new leather (Bowlingball.com branded) shammy pad. Which did a great job wiping oil off the ball.

First game was pretty good only left three 10pins, picked up one and missed one (third was on the last ball)

Second game had four 10 pins, picked up one in the tenth frame. Not all 10's were left on pocket hits, several were on brooklyns.

The lanes were hooking, the heads were kind of dry. But we did have some midlane oil.

Third game I had moved in about 2 boards and started crushing the pocket. Had the front 11 and the on the last ball I gripped up on it with my thumb alittle. I knew it just as I was releasing it, but couldn't stop.

Tugged it in about a board and a half and the ball started going brooklyn but not quite and it left the 6&10 pins.

Not complaining though, I was keeping my arm straight and coming through the ball great, releasing toward the pins and could feel the ball rolling right off my hand.

We are 6 weeks into the 2nd half now and I'm now averaging 19 pins higher than the 1st half average. 1st Half ending ave. was 174, current 2nd half ave. 193, overall ave 179.

bowl1820
02-24-2016, 11:49 PM
Well didn't follow that week up to great.

week 25-
186-167-171 for a 524 series

week 26-
212-163-151 for a 526 series.

The trouble down at this end of the house, the balls are not finishing strong. I think this is because there's a small league just before us and when they re-oil it's not stripping the lanes good (if at all).

bowl1820
03-02-2016, 11:52 AM
Week 27

2nd half, first Position round.

Shot 157-266-170 for a 593 series. We split points.

First game I was trying too hard, my swing was too stiff and missing spares etc.

Second game I just got up there loosened up and started swinging and striking.

Third game I was still swinging okay, but the lanes were changing fast.

Thank's to Ole Roy's I'm trying out some new cleaners. They sent me some samples of his "Front 9" and "Late Shift" cleaners. They look okay so far.

While I'm not saying it's the cause, the cleaning the ball better between frames (Whether your using just a leather pad or a liquid cleaner) might be helping.

Since I started doing it at the beginning of our second half.

I'm averaging 10 pins higher than the first half, I've shot the same number of 200 games in half the time I did in the first half and the number of 10 pins I've been leaving are way down.

The ball does act pretty consistent, also I've found adding the routine of cleaning to my pre-shot routine I've been focusing better. Which I think bears out what they say about having a good pre-shot routine.

I think I got work on the mental game more, get more loosened up on the the approach and just bowl.