PDA

View Full Version : Practicing near recreational bowlers.

Blomer
09-11-2015, 07:59 PM
Today I went in to practice but I ended up talking to the pro shop guy for about an hour before I started to bowl. During my last two games, several middle school kids came in. They were oiling the lanes for to tonight's league so they stuck the kids two lanes down, one lane separating us. The entire group of kids would be on the lane and even on the la e that separated us. The guy oiling the lane told the counter guy that there are some inexperience bowlers for him to talk to. Didn't help, these kids keep going on the lane next to me as I bowled. I tried to wait for the, to ge off but they didn't. Frustrating.

RobLV1
09-11-2015, 08:45 PM
Look at the positive sides of this: these kids are the future of the sport, so let them enjoy it, and, more importantly, look at it as practice in concentration. If you can bowl next to a bunch of middle school kids, nothing should ever distract you during league. LOL

Tony
09-11-2015, 10:41 PM
It can be quite interesting, I went on a busy day when they were running a .99 a game special and was stuck with some inexperienced bowlers on both sides of, no open lanes . On the right I had a kid and his dad, the kid was the happy Gilmore of bowling...He would stand at the back of the approach and then run toward the foul line flinging the ball wildly.
On the other lane 2 guys that knew nothing about bowling, I would be standing on the approach preparing to throw and they would get up pick up a ball and come whizzing past me making a shot.

I decided to just work on ignoring them and timing my bowling to be between their shots and it was a challenge but I did it.

TonyInPortland
09-12-2015, 12:02 AM
And the bowling center is so desperate not to alienate any customers, they don't mention anything to them about lane courtesy or how to act on a bowling lane. But they are risking losing the serious bowler if they don't. I recently started to practice again, this summer, and, it was very difficult to find a time when these ill-informed and discourteous people, not all of them kids, were also bowling.

Kells
09-12-2015, 11:23 AM
Best scenario to practice focusing on your shot

vdubtx
09-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Look at the positive sides of this: these kids are the future of the sport, so let them enjoy it, and, more importantly, look at it as practice in concentration. If you can bowl next to a bunch of middle school kids, nothing should ever distract you during league. LOL

Absolutely this. Some of my best practices are next to kids running up on lanes. Certainly helps with concentration.

taxexpert2
09-12-2015, 11:52 AM
I tend to practice early in the day. Have found that families with children tend to show up after noon so the mornings are good if you want to avoid the busy-ness of the younger crowd.

TonyInPortland
09-13-2015, 11:03 AM
I tend to practice early in the day. Have found that families with children tend to show up after noon so the mornings are good if you want to avoid the busy-ness of the younger crowd.

I can't afford the rate. The time I usually practice is Mondays after 8PM, when it is cheaper, but I am surprised at how many people (and a lot of kids) are there at 8PM, at least during the summer. I think now that school has resumed, it will be less crowded .

billf
09-13-2015, 12:37 PM
I prefer practicing next to parties and open bowlers. Not only does it help with concentration I've picked up some clients to coach and lots of new bowlers. The parents are usually surprised to learn how cheap our youth league is.

mc_runner
09-13-2015, 03:27 PM
I don't mind it, it usually helps with the concentration and stuff which isn't really something you can easily work on. As long as kids aren't running in front of me on the approach when I'm beginning my throw (obviously a safety issue)

Jessiewoodard57
09-18-2015, 12:04 PM
I don't mind practicing next to recreational bowlers. I have struck up many a conversation helping them with targeting their shots. Many times they have asked me how do you get the ball to hook like that? Someone mentioned it that they are the future of bowling that is so true and any encouragement we can give them helps us all in the end. Lets face it must of the young generation are into technology "if I can't play it on my Ipad I don't play it at all" Oh I do get the totally unruly one that only want to mess with people but they are few and far apart.

foreverincamo
09-18-2015, 07:29 PM
Over the summer I nearly killed a 5 year old who darted in front of me when I was nearly at my point of delivery. I was just able to stop my down swing or he was toast. His Mom just glared at me like it was my fault her precious snowflake was nearly given a free ride down lane.

Jessiewoodard57
09-18-2015, 09:25 PM
I had a toddler with a party on the next set. I was getting ready to take my shot when I noticed the maybe 3 year old toddler with his head stuck in the ball return as his mom's ball was coming back had to stop and yell to her to get him quick. She barely got him away when the ball came out. Could have been a dead kid. Some people just do not watch their kids.