PDA

View Full Version : New Seaon, New House Shot!

Blomer
09-16-2015, 08:23 PM
So the new season started Monday and there was a new house shot! I struggled with the extra oil they laid down. Others are saying this is to accommadate the high rev guys, which most of the leagues aren't. I generally stand on 30 and go for the 15 board but the balls wouldn't come back. I started throwing it tighter inside and did a little better, but just didn't feel right doing it.

I went in yesterday to practice and stayed the 30 board to start my approach but threw at the 10 board and did much better. I know making adjustments is key, just felt weird. I just picked up a new ball as well, Roto Grip Haywire. I've been eyeing it since it just came out so I went for it. Didnt get a chance to throw it yet but can't wait to do so.

foreverincamo
09-16-2015, 10:57 PM
In my league, before the season started, they resurfaced the approaches and evened up the lanes. The scores have been a bit higher with the all original 1962 wooden lanes all trued up. It took a month for the approaches to stop being so slick it was like walking on ice.
It depends on who we bowl as to what degree the lanes are burned up. We have teams that all throw aggressive equipment with high rev rates, and they eat the oil off the lane. Other times I barely move all night.

RobLV1
09-16-2015, 11:39 PM
Any time I hear "I generally stand on the X board, and go for the Y board," it sends shivers up my spine. The first article that I ever wrote for BTM back in 2007 dealt with the dangers of preconceptions in bowling. Centers are different. Individual pairs are different. Your opponents are different. The weather is different. The oil machine needs maintenance. The oil machine was just repaired. etc., etc., etc.. If you get rid of the preconceptions and approach each league session as a new experience, it can only help you to raise your average.

Jessiewoodard57
09-17-2015, 02:26 PM
Rob I can attest to that. Monday night I went to roll my 4 free games at my Tuesday night league center, I like going Monday because they have league Monday night too and the lanes are fresh at 6 pm. Anyway, by the end of my 4 games I had my Storm 2 fast working well so I tried the same setup and the ball just never made it back to the pocket. Had to do a ball change to get there. That was the same center same lane machine same tech oiling just 6 lanes down.

fordman1
09-22-2015, 07:03 PM
We just got new Brunswick synthetics they replaced the 16 year old ones both were top of the line. Still have wood approaches. So far the shot has been brutal.

DukeDi
09-23-2015, 11:37 AM
Could not agree with you more Rob. You will also have a distinct advantage against opponents who hold fast to said preconceptions. Two weeks ago, my team members and I saw the lanes changing and adjusted accordingly. The opposing team we were bowling held fast to there normal lines and tried to adjust by only changing equipment. Needless to say we took all the games that night, only game one was close.