PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take to adjust to a new ball?

Gutternut
09-18-2015, 10:40 AM
For years I used a 14lb plastic house ball, learned to get it to hook a little but only using my 2 fingers and spun the heck out of it. I averaged 175 with my highest game being 276. I've acquired 3 mid performance balls and have been throwing them in league for 2 weeks and the highest I've managed to score has been 181. I cannot find consistency with them, I know practice makes perfect but I'm wondering if switching to a traditional grip would be useful. I know it will be awkward for a while doing so but could it help? How long did it take you to adjust to a new ball?

All 3 balls a are drilled for a lefty (I'm left handed as well) but layout speaking, does the layout matter if I'm not using my thumb?

Balls in question are

Messenger Black
Messenger Ti pearl
Track Rule Delta 1

Jessiewoodard57
09-18-2015, 11:43 AM
I would see my local Pro Shop and have them look the balls over. I would not go to conventional grips. You said "acquired" they probably need cleaning at the very least or resurfacing the Pro Shop would advise your best course to take at this point. Welcome to the forum

Amyers
09-18-2015, 12:15 PM
See a pro shop and have the balls fitted to you!!! Equipment that doesn't fit correctly makes your game more inconsistent and can cause you to develop bad habits.

Gutternut
09-18-2015, 12:16 PM
I would see my local Pro Shop and have them look the balls over. I would not go to conventional grips. You said "acquired" they probably need cleaning at the very least or resurfacing the Pro Shop would advise your best course to take at this point. Welcome to the forum

Yeah, they probably need cleaned and resurfaced. The black messenger is in perfect condition.

I took the Ti into the pro shop, the guy made face and immediately tried to sell me something new. Kind of off putting but I want to see if these will work before I go that route.

Forgot to mention these balls are 16lbs........so 2 lbs difference.

vdubtx
09-18-2015, 12:53 PM
The difference in weight can certainly lead to some inconsistencies being that you are used to throwing 14's.

The PSO is there to sell new balls obviously, but it you want to learn to use these as they are, a good PSO will do what you ask of them on your equipment. Getting them fitted to you though could mean plugging and re-drilling them. That can sometimes be as much as $60 per ball. Up to you if you wanted to plug all 3 and be in them for ~$180 or get a new entry level reactive ball that is drilled to fit you and learn to use it. Once you are consistent with that one, then add a higher level reactive.

A lot of ways you can go. Whatever you do though, pick a weight and stick with it for all of your equipment. Will only help you in the end.

Good luck. :cool:

Jessiewoodard57
09-18-2015, 01:02 PM
the fact you had been using 14# for years and jumped to 16# will throw you off . Also as Amyers said a good fit is paramount to having a consistent release. I would almost bite the bullet and buy a new ball. you have so many variables working against you with someone else's used equipment. The cost alone to plug and re-drill and resurface would make a new ball the route to go.

Gutternut
09-18-2015, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the insight. I hadn't considered the surfacing and redrilling costs since I don't use the thumb.

There is a demo day this weekend in my area, I think I'm going to go and check it out.

Any advice on going to one of these? Bring my own also or just show up and roll?

vdubtx
09-18-2015, 02:17 PM
If you can go to one, by all means go. Then you can really see the difference in how a low or high end ball will roll for you. Nothing to lose and everything to gain by trying out different balls all at one time.

Gutternut
09-21-2015, 11:55 AM
If you can go to one, by all means go. Then you can really see the difference in how a low or high end ball will roll for you. Nothing to lose and everything to gain by trying out different balls all at one time.

Glad I went to the demo day, it was great to try out all the different balls and they had the Track ID system so I was able to find out my ball speed and rev rate. (18 / 360)

Most aggressive ball there was the track Paradox

I really liked the Hammer Arson high flare.

vdubtx
09-21-2015, 12:28 PM
Glad I went to the demo day, it was great to try out all the different balls and they had the Track ID system so I was able to find out my ball speed and rev rate. (18 / 360)

Most aggressive ball there was the track Paradox

I really liked the Hammer Arson high flare.
Excellent. Always good to try different ones. It's not always the latest and greatest that fits a bowlers style and being able to try before you buy is awesome.

foreverincamo
09-22-2015, 10:14 PM
It took me a few hours to get used to my DV8 Marauder Mutiny, but over a month to figure out my Hammer Black Widow Legend.

billf
09-22-2015, 11:19 PM
A couple of frames. I know what it should do when I purchase and drill it so I'm usually close. My issue is execution, not the ball.

Tony
09-23-2015, 10:06 AM
For me it has depended on how similar the ball was to my current one's. It can take 10 or 20 games or more to start to get the handle on a ball that reacts quite a bit differently ( for me ).

I would take one of the balls and practice with it and try to get a feel for how it reacts, trying to get used to and sort out 3 different balls at once during league play would be difficult for me to do.

If you like and have been pretty successful with you're current grip and delivery it probably would be better to stick with it, it also might be worth having the fit, drilling, condition of the balls checked out by a pso ( as already suggested) to make sure they are not part of the problem.

Good luck!

Had not seen the weight difference, that would make a huge difference, if you want to continue your current bowling style you might be better off getting a 14lb mid level ball instead of making the big weight change.

Jaescrub
09-23-2015, 10:47 AM
The best thing I have found to with throwing a new ball is to use your go to ball aka ol faithful. Throw 6 full rack shots and if your on your mark with that ball switch to a different ball throw the same line and watch how the new ball reacts. Then adjust and repeat. I did a demo day with EBI and found out a ball I did not even want to throw that day was the best of the bunch for me. 3 games with a new ball. starting on a fresh shot and keep using it as the lane breaks down will show you the money shot. I have a ball that calls for more oil by the book. But found that when the lane gets broke down that ball with its layout kills the rack.

Gutternut
09-25-2015, 10:52 AM
This was my 3rd week using the Messenger Ti pearl and my scores are getting back to normal (for me) 181-190-190. I had 4 strikes in a row at one point, I'm getting the feel for it..........it has a ton of back end. I have to start on the far right board and aim for the 2nd and 3rd left arrow. Huge sweeping hook.

Still not sure if I should just get a new 14lb ball fitted for me

billf
09-26-2015, 07:26 PM
This was my 3rd week using the Messenger Ti pearl and my scores are getting back to normal (for me) 181-190-190. I had 4 strikes in a row at one point, I'm getting the feel for it..........it has a ton of back end. I have to start on the far right board and aim for the 2nd and 3rd left arrow. Huge sweeping hook.

Still not sure if I should just get a new 14lb ball fitted for me

Nothing in the game can compare to having a properly fitted ball. Why wouldn't you get one fit to you?

mc_runner
09-26-2015, 09:13 PM
It usually takes me a game or 2 whereas before it would take about a month. Making adjustments and reading the lane does wonders.

Gutternut
09-27-2015, 01:46 AM
Nothing in the game can compare to having a properly fitted ball. Why wouldn't you get one fit to you?

Strapped for cash at the moment.

foreverincamo
09-28-2015, 09:39 PM
Took two games with my Brunswick Vintage Gold Rhino Pro. Some balls just come easier than others.