PDA

View Full Version : I'm drifitng 5 boards right

NewToBowling
09-18-2015, 01:55 PM
I stand with left foot on 30 board (6 dot). At the foul line my left foot drifts to the 25 board. I looked at myself multiple times and it happened every time. Is this normal?

vdubtx
09-18-2015, 02:00 PM
Some may say that drift is a bad thing. Others may say that if you drift the same amount consistently, it is fine.

Myself, I drift and do so the same amount each time.

jab5325
09-18-2015, 02:29 PM
There's a guy (righty) in a Wednesday night league at my center who drifts about 10 boards, slides on his right foot, and throws the ball about 10mph........who has shot 300 on more than 1 occasion.

The point being......the most important thing is doing something consistent. Develop an entirely repeatable approach, armswing, release, and follow through that gives you the chance to strike. Then, develop an adjustment scheme that allows you to know where to shoot for spares. If you can do those two things, you'll be pushing 200 no matter how weird it looks, with the opportunity to average much higher if you have the mental game.

NewToBowling
09-18-2015, 02:36 PM
Well it is consistent so maybe I shouldn't fight it

Amyers
09-18-2015, 03:23 PM
Drifting to the right will cause problems if you try to throw more inside lines as you are walking into the path of the ball causing it to wrap around the body. It's not the worst problem you can have but it can cause so difficulties. I do bowl with one guy that is very high average 220+ who drifts 10 boards during his approach so it can be done.

J Anderson
09-18-2015, 04:29 PM
I stand with left foot on 30 board (6 dot). At the foul line my left foot drifts to the 25 board. I looked at myself multiple times and it happened every time. Is this normal?

Since it seems to happen every time this is normal for you. The fact that it's consistent is good.

Most professionals either walk straight or drift left, some as much as 5 boards.

Assuming that you're right-handed, I think what is probably happening with you is that you are sighting a target on the right side of the lane and unconsciously walking toward it. Your hips and shoulders are probably square to the line you're projecting the ball on. The main problem with drifting like this is it limits how far you can move left on the approach.

If you drift right when playing straight up the boards, say standing on 16 or 17 and aiming at 10 at the arrows, that 5 board drift is going to but your body or your ankle in the path of the ball. Nothing good can happen from this situation. You either hit your ankle with a heavy object or you will alter your swing and miss your target as well as getting an inconsistent release. This situation and when bowlers vary in the amount of drift from shot to shot on the same line are the only times I worry about someones drift.

NewToBowling
09-18-2015, 06:13 PM
After thinking about what I observed it's not so much about drifting it's more about that last slide step. I think I am straight throughout until the last step which does a drastic five board move right to help balance at release.

RobLV1
09-18-2015, 10:06 PM
Try walking slightly left and sliding back right into the board on which you started. This is a very effective way of staying inside the ball and projecting it from left to right.

NewToBowling
09-18-2015, 10:47 PM
Try walking slightly left and sliding back right into the board on which you started. This is a very effective way of staying inside the ball and projecting it from left to right.

Yes that is one way. I'll observe myself some more but at this point I may be resolved with what I am currently doing

Amyers
09-21-2015, 10:14 AM

The steps with your right foot (assuming right handed) should be balance beam steps. Think your right foot should step directly in front of your left. This causes you to walk slightly to the left during the approach so when you complete your final step which is a cross over you are about where you started.

NewToBowling
09-21-2015, 11:00 AM
The steps with your right foot (assuming right handed) should be balance beam steps. Think your right foot should step directly in front of your left. This causes you to walk slightly to the left during the approach so when you complete your final step which is a cross over you are about where you started.

In theory thats how I should be doing it. I do step balance beam style but I guess I make a drastic step over to the right on the last step

Amyers
09-21-2015, 11:12 AM
In theory thats how I should be doing it. I do step balance beam style but I guess I make a drastic step over to the right on the last step

My wife struggles with this also. You may have a different issue but I know with her it's on the first step. She steps to the right on that first step. If you start right and then cross over it's impossible to walk straight.

Aslan
09-22-2015, 06:39 PM
I find that when I start playing an "inside line"; I tend to drift right.

Rob pointed out my drift when I was in Vegas. It doesn't usually happen if I'm playing outside or the 2nd arrow...but I think once I get to 3rd arrow and start to open up that angle...my mind/body tries to subconsciously compensate.

billf
09-22-2015, 11:14 PM
If your are sliding five boards right it is IMPOSSIBLE for your wing slot to be under the head. If it was then you would hit your slide leg calf every time. If you want to fix it there is a simple drill that with time and effort will correct it. If all you plan to bowl is recreational leagues with house shots, then it isn't nearly as important but will cause the swing to go around your body.
If you need to slide this way for balance then either your footwork, timing or spine tilt is also off.

dnhoffman
09-26-2015, 11:04 PM
I dunno... I drift quite a bit too, but I find I do more harm than good when trying to correct it. Just being consistent seems to be the better goal for me.

vdubtx
10-02-2015, 11:08 AM
Good article on Bowl.com about drift.

http://www.bowl.com/Source/Source_Home/Dealing_with_Drift/