PDA

View Full Version : Drilled up a new ball

foreverincamo
09-28-2015, 09:36 PM
For my birthday in April my wife got me a Brunswick Vintage Gold Rhino Pro. I finally got it drilled up. Went pin up, pin is 5 1/2 " from my VAL, PAP is 6" over, 1" up. Went to my Thursday night league house and bowled on lanes that haven't been oiled since Saturday morning. Ball did great. Could wheel the ball out to around 7 and it came back easily. Carry was sporadic as the pin deck was full of carry down. Left way more 7's than 10's. Bowled two games. All I tweaked was the radius around the thumbhole I like to have. Great ball for scorched lanes.

RobLV1
09-28-2015, 09:55 PM
Thursday night league where the lanes haven't been oil since Saturday morning? If this is really the case, the owners should seriously consider selling... they are going nowhere but down!

Blomer
09-28-2015, 10:47 PM
I got a Roto Grip Haywire drilled up a few weeks back. My alley laid down a little more oil so I wanted alittle more aggressive ball. From first week to the next I went up 61 pins and from that week to tonight I went,up 83 pins. Love this ball.

foreverincamo
09-29-2015, 09:28 AM
Awesome Blomer! Rob, where I bowl league, it's just a little 16 lane mom&pop operation. They only oil what needs done for leagues. Not much traffic at all. The lanes are the original wood lanes that were installed in 1962. They take care of the place.
This gave me a look at that ball for what it's for- get through scorched lanes and still carry.

Amyers
09-29-2015, 10:35 AM
Awesome Blomer! Rob, where I bowl league, it's just a little 16 lane mom&pop operation. They only oil what needs done for leagues. Not much traffic at all. The lanes are the original wood lanes that were installed in 1962. They take care of the place.
This gave me a look at that ball for what it's for- get through scorched lanes and still carry.

I'll take your word for it but if they didn't oil any of my wood lane houses for 5 days you would never get the ball past the arrows

billf
09-29-2015, 12:00 PM
People seem to forget that oil is actually conditioner. It wasn't originally intended to be used to dictate "patterns" but rather to condition the wood to enhance the longevity of each board by protecting the enamel coating. Conditioner is expensive but far less so than having to replace the lanes prematurely.

TVan
09-30-2015, 03:22 PM
I got a Roto Grip Haywire drilled up a few weeks back. My alley laid down a little more oil so I wanted alittle more aggressive ball. From first week to the next I went up 61 pins and from that week to tonight I went,up 83 pins. Love this ball.

I think this ball is soon to be in my bag. Like what I see and hear from those who have it.

vdubtx
09-30-2015, 03:31 PM
I think this ball is soon to be in my bag. Like what I see and hear from those who have it.

Ditto on that. Saw one in action last night and the ball is nice and smooth with a nice finish. Since my Hyper Cell and Disturbed have done so well for me in the past, this one is getting into my bag.

NewToBowling
09-30-2015, 03:32 PM
I think all new balls are nice when first rolled. I like to hear stories about them after say 50-100 games.

TVan
09-30-2015, 03:47 PM
I think all new balls are nice when first rolled. I like to hear stories about them after say 50-100 games.

Absolutely true.

foreverincamo
09-30-2015, 03:50 PM
Just to clarify, I went to where I bowl in my Thursday night league. I went on Monday, and the lanes were last oiled on Saturday. Not sure what they use for oil nowadays, but back in 1987 when I worked there, the owner used mineral oil. Wasn't flammable and 5 year old dumb kids could lick their bowling balls without getting poisoned.

Blomer
09-30-2015, 06:46 PM

If you maintain them they will still be great! Ive had several balls that I cleaned and others i didnt and made a huge difference!