PDA

View Full Version : Distractions and Concentration Issues

DukeDi
09-29-2015, 12:19 PM
I bowl in two leagues, one mixed league and one Mens League. Normally my average in both leagues are within 5 pins of each other. Two years ago I avg. 220 in the mixed league and 215 in the Mens league. Last Season 207 in mixed league and 214 in Mens league. After three weeks in both leagues this season, mixed league 179, mens league 218.

I just can't get back on track in the mixed league. It is the same house for both leagues and pretty much the same shot, transition on the lanes is a bit different but not unmanageable. My theory is that I am letting outside influences have an effect on my game. i.e Teammates, opening on easy spare, the more jovial nature of the league distracting me etc. Etc.

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep focused or how to manage the distractions in more relaxed bowling environment?

billf
09-29-2015, 12:30 PM
How is your pre-shot routine? Does it differ at all in each league? MAybe take a few extra seconds before getting on the approach in the mixed league to ensure more focus.
The difference is only stringing one more strike. Maybe the transition is happening slighly different than when you think, like by one frame a game.

jab5325
09-30-2015, 09:01 AM
I'd be interested in hearing suggestions too--I face the same issue.

My Wednesday scratch league is very serious. Everyone still jokes/has fun, but it's a much more serious crowd.

The Thursday night league, I've dubbed "cowbell", because of the team that feels the need to ring a cowbell and scream all the time. By and large, the league is just there to get drunk. I've not shot over 520 in this league this season, because I just don't care. I find myself using it to practice and try new things, because it's a very distracting environment.

Aslan
09-30-2015, 01:23 PM
I have the same issue and thought I was alone.

Most people tend to think, especially for a guy like me that tends to OVERthink...that a relaxed atmosphere would be better, less pressure, etc... But I find that on Mondays in the "fun" league...I'm the anchor but nobody but me really cares if we win or lose...one girl averages like 87. In that league I'm averaging 169.

On Wednesdays I'm bowling 4th and was specifically recruited to bowl on this team because they wanted to put a team together that could compete for first place. On Wednesdays it's not "PBA serious"...but you might bowl a 206 and be cussing and mad at yourself because you opened in the 9th or 10th or got a pocket split. My average in that league is like 193.

For me, I bowl better when I feel like I'm a good bowler. It's a confidence thing. If I'm just a bowler on a team and nobody really cares...then I don't feel like a "bowler". So my confidence drops off and then my performance drops off.

One thing I try to do, which sort of helps (and others do this as well), is I try to pair myself against a bowler on the opposite team. On Mondays, I'm the anchor, so I match myself versus the other anchor. Usually they have a higher average than I do, so there's a challenge there to try and outbowl them. I don't pay attention to what the other players are doing...I just try to keep pace with the other anchor...a game within the game if you will. Does it work? Not always. Sometimes it does. Sometimes I'm getting outbowled SO badly that it actually crushes what fragile confidence I have. But, it's an idea.

billf
09-30-2015, 01:40 PM
When bowling with people better than ourselves wether it's opponents or teammates we tend to bowl better. The focus and concentration is just a bit sharper. Sometimes the transition even makes more sense. I struggle more in mixed leagues when the other team has people spraying plastic.

J Anderson
09-30-2015, 02:11 PM
When bowling with people better than ourselves wether it's opponents or teammates we tend to bowl better. The focus and concentration is just a bit sharper. Sometimes the transition even makes more sense. I struggle more in mixed leagues when the other team has people spraying plastic.

We've noticed this in our sport league. In summer when there are more people trying the league for the first time, or using it to try to improve for the fall, everyone's average tends to drop. In Winter, when we're left with the die-hards, the averages go back up. Fewer 'sprayers', no one giving up after the first game and throwing polyester straight at the pocket, and the result is a transition that the better players can deal with.

I also think it's easier to keep my mental focus in a serious league than a more relaxed social league.

HowDoIHookAgain
09-30-2015, 04:30 PM
My problem is I over-analyze mostly everything I do. I think too much about what I have to do, instead of just doing it. If I get a good shot, I think too much about repeating it and how I did it. If I miss a spare, I let it get to my head, and I tend to miss that spare for the rest of the game(s). It's tough to just concentrate on your game. But sometimes, I think we tend to concentrate a little too much, and let it get the best of us. It's also not good to get distracted with something else, and let it take away your game.

Get in a habit of something. When I step up on the approach, I always look down at my feet and put them in the exact spot I feel comfortable with. It's a little something that helps me to just relax. I may also play a game on my phone if there's a long break between shots, so I don't start thinking too much about what I'm doing right/wrong. Singing a song in my head will greatly help me, especially if I'm struggling. But really, for me, what it comes down to is being able to have some friends with me while I bowl. It just takes me away from the atmosphere of competition and reminds me that I'm bowling because I just want to have fun and enjoy myself, while at the same time being good, or at least half decent.

billf
10-01-2015, 01:26 AM
Distracted and lack of concentration

You mean like getting on the approach and not remembering where you were standing? What idiot would do that? Oh yeah, it was me. Talk about a total disconnect.
On the other hand my best games have been during distractions..trying to get the mortgage for this house last October. On the phone with the mortgage company during my scratch league. I would run from the back corner, grab the ball and go. Finished the first game with the last 8 and started the next with the front 8. Got off the phone, took my time on the approach and promptly pulled the snot out of the next shot. So spare, spare, open off the phone and 16 in a row while on the phone (told him to hold and put it on the table) with a rushed approach. Yes, my game sucks and it's all between my ears.

Aslan
10-01-2015, 02:30 PM
You mean like getting on the approach and not remembering where you were standing? What idiot would do that? Oh yeah, it was me. Talk about a total disconnect.

Other Bowlers: "Why do you keep writing things in that notebook? What are you writing?"
Me: "Where to stand and where to target."
Other Bowlers: "Why do you need to write it down?"
Me: "So I don't forget between frames."

And yes...even writing it down...at least once per night I forget to look at the notebook, go up and get the ball, go to get on the approach, and forget where I was supposed to stand/target.

Ishkabibble
10-05-2015, 02:30 PM
Been there too. I usually try to pair myself against one of the better bowlers and most of the time it works. My best in a rows defintially have been when I was not thinking about what I was doing jusy being on auto pilot so to speak. You still need to have focus but what you focus on makes a difference. If you dump one in the gutter most likely your next shot you will pull because you are thinking don't dump it in the gutter so you mind over-reacts instead of just letting your muscle memory do it's job. I think about 2 or 3 things to set myself up such as the spot I should be standing, making sure my arm and hand are set in the position I want. Then I visualize my line, look at my mark and go. I don't think about anything during my approach. If I do I usually will over do what it is I am thinking about. Another example of the KISS method being the best. After all bowling is 80% mental and 40% physical......

mc_runner
10-05-2015, 05:31 PM
Similar issues here. It's just a different mindset... if anything, the transition in the social league is easier for me. Everything is more about fun and less bowling-focused in general. Really its about having the best of both worlds... have fun (don't forget why you do it in the first place!) but also set your mind and concentrate again before the next ball. Now, if I could only practice what I preach...

DukeDi
10-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Wow. Thanks for all the comments. I had a little better time this Week I shot 611. Kept it simple and made sure I kept my pre-shot routine consistent and took a few extra seconds to focus in my point of attack. I had some mechanic issue going on (Kept pulling the shot) but I didn't feel lost like I had in previous weeks and made most of my spares.

Like a couple folks who replied to this thread I too tend to think to much and just need to relax and stroke the ball. Concentrate on my shot and not worry about what other folks are doing. I can't control that anyway.

GeoLes
10-07-2015, 04:18 PM
I just started bowling in a new league this season and the atmosphere is rather jovial - lots of high 5's and the like. I focus from pre-shot to finish right up to my return to my seat. I am thinking of what I did and what I should change and even if I miss a spare, I find myself being forced to high 5 someone before I can finish my thoughts.

Probably not a bad thing, but it is a concentration breaker for me because sometimes I will not remember the adjustument I planned for the next shot.

fokai73
10-08-2015, 12:00 PM
"Does anyone have any tips on how to keep focused or how to manage the distractions in more relaxed bowling environment?"

There are so many factors why you are struggling. It could be a lot of mental issues or the amount of bowlers in the mix league vs. the men's league. The temp. humidity. the type of bowlers can play a role. You could make the big mistake by thinking that you can play the same line, stand on the same board, use the same ball, and other things you do in the men's league which you carry on to the mix league.

But that big of a gap in the first three weeks is huge. 218 to 178. It's a lot of mental game issues and spares.

I used to bowl 2 to 4 leagues a year, all at different houses, patterns, and surface types - wood, SPL, and anvil. From serious to fun mix, to scratch swiss leagues. I struggled, then I was given tips that helped me do well bowling at these places. He said:

1. accept the environment and conditions.
2. Find a trigger. Mine is feeling happy and blessed no matter what because I have life and I could bowl. My smile irritated my opponents too. lol
3. "just you and the pins" not the league and its bowlers
4. two positive talks - none of these: I should of struck, I hope I do well, dwelling on missed spares.
5. Just bowl.

a