PDA

View Full Version : Further Validation of Rob's coaching skeelz...

Aslan
09-30-2015, 04:17 PM
Okay...quick coaching (non-gifted related) update/note:

So, I've gotten a handful of lessons from Rob M....it's not as easy to get coaching from him because he's in Nevada...so I see him twice a year. But...it gives me a different set of eyes and it's good to get together when the opportunity presents itself.

Now...some things that we worked on earlier that other coaches have validated/repeated; for example;
- Mainly my approach...shortening the first step, trying to calm it down, slow it down, not rush the foul line, etc...

More recently, two things that Rob noticed earlier this month was that I wasn't opened up right at the foul line AND I was drifting right about 5 boards (consistently). And the more we'd try to open up the angle...the more I'd have that tendency to drift.

Well, went to my lesson last night (my usual coach I see every few weeks) and we spent the majority of the lesson on those two items...not because I mentioned that Rob noticed them...but she noticed them. So...example of how two different coaches...noticing the same things...on the same page.

Now, how am I fixing that...why is it a problem...blah blah...that's not necessarily important. I may fix the drift I may not. The drift is remarkably consistent (3-5 boards EVERY time)...so it might not be worth the effort. Attempts to fix it last night didn't work out. And my tendency to close my shoulders parallel to the foul line...that's gonna be a work in progress (and may partially explain my inability to play inside).

My point of the thread is just to further validate coaching (for the non-gifted among us). Many people think that because there are varying styles in bowling...and many are successful....that there's no point in going to a coach...because every coach will tell you something different. While YES...coaches tend to coach very close to what THEY have found to be successful...and that may, and will differ a but from coach to coach...there are also a LOT of fundamentals that you'll find coaches will consistently teach. I mean, from my early videos...how many coaches...and users on this site...mentioned the long first step? MWhite, VDub, Bowl1820, etc... And almost every coach...including the highly credentialed Mark Baker....have all noticed that first step and it's one of the first things we try to address...and to this day is a top priority to fix.

So...I give coaching (for the non-gifted)...and RobM...and thumbs UP! :eek:

vdubtx
09-30-2015, 06:15 PM
http://i.imgur.com/f7FdEdG.jpg

Coaching is guud!!

billf
10-01-2015, 12:38 AM
So you drift ball side AND get your shoulders parallel to the line. Yep, that would keep you from playing inside. You know enough about coaches and especially Mark Baker to know it's your footwork causing it. Which you know because coaches keep pointing it out lol

One question...Rob, is it actually a drift or is it straight and the slide goes lateral? I'm only asking because I've had a rash of these as of late. Seems to be caused by bowlers trying to force a hook. They get on the side of the ball very early and swing the arm in sort of a semi-circle motion. The swing is so far out the slide to the side is needed to maintain balance.

RobLV1
10-01-2015, 04:46 AM
It's actually a combination of the two; drifting right and sliding right. The drifting right is a bad thing, while the sliding right is a good thing. Since I wrote the article on "Working the Inside of the Ball" for BTM a couple of months ago, I've been noticing more and more how so many modern bowlers actually walk left and slide back right. It's almost like walking around the ball and it works really well. It allows them to slide back in the direction of the the intended line of the ball: from left to right, while keeping the hand behind the ball rather than over the top.

Aslan
10-01-2015, 03:03 PM
Having learned to bowl many years ago...I've always learned that you approach the foul line straight on...feet pointed towards the foul line...and you square up to the foul line as you slide/release.

The difficulty with that midset in the new era...and I'm sure Bill and Rob can better explain/elaborate...is that when you start opening up angles and playing inside...you can't really be left and throw right...if you're also trying to be square to the foul line.

So what I was doing to compensate (unintentionally, subconsciously) is I would go straight...but my feet would almost automatically drift toward the target...because in my MIND...I'm thinking, "Uh oh...my target is over THERE!" In addition, and even WORSE, I would have to make a last second swing adjustment to push the ball right (towards the target). So my shoulders are square...parallel to the foul line...but I'm subconsciously trying to send the ball right...which causes and results in all kinds of bad outcomes.

So now I'm trying to get used to foot work where my stance...my feet line up with my target (similar to how I'd line up for a corner-pin spare shot)...but I still try to travel straight...and the hope is, that because my shoulders are open...I can now swing towards my target when I reach the foul line.

The "drift" occurs during the last step. And right now...the coach is not too concerned with that. It would be more of a concern if:
A) I was drifting as I was walking (which is how people normally tend to drift).
B) My drift was inconsistent.

Since I drift 3-5 boards right on my last step (slide)...and it's never less or more than that...the drift is controllable. But I MUST get used to the new stance/approach if I'm ever going to play inside the oil line and have a consistent shot. And that's what I'm working on now.

Rob was the first to point out the drift and suggest opening the shoulders. My regular coach then pointed out the same things (without me saying anything) during the recent lesson...when I was talking about struggling moving inside with the Asylum (which doesn't carry well if I try to play outside in the dry).

billf
10-01-2015, 03:12 PM
The crossover step puts most peope 3 boards left. Some coaches such as Mark Baker are teaching the pivot/power step also be a crossover with the slide being on the same board as this step yet angled so the slide foot will end where it began. I tried this myself for a few hours and got all messed up. The rash of slides to the ball side I've seen lately have been more than 10 boards!