PDA

View Full Version : Any known causes for a high shoulder?

ackwdw123
10-01-2015, 08:11 PM
Hi, I wanted to ask the group about an issue I am seeing with my son. He goes into his approach and lifts his shoulder. At first I was thinking the thumb hole might be too big and was causing him to compensate by grabbing the ball and raising the shoulder, but his thumb hole doesn't seem to big. He used this ball last season and he didn't raise his shoulder, so I doubt it is weight/too heavy. He raises it as soon as he begins his approach. I'm stumped and hoping someone might have some other things to check.

Thanks in advance,
-ack

bowl1820
10-01-2015, 08:37 PM
Question:

How high does he hold his balance arm in relation to waist level during his approach?

Higher or Lower can affect the tilt of your shoulders, raising and lowering the ball side shoulder somewhat.

ackwdw123
10-01-2015, 09:46 PM
Great point. I recall he had the balance arm close to his side and wrist is low. We will be able to bowl again on Saturday and I will keep an eye out for it. Might be a good time to revisit his entire release.

J Anderson
10-01-2015, 10:43 PM
Hi, I wanted to ask the group about an issue I am seeing with my son. He goes into his approach and lifts his shoulder. At first I was thinking the thumb hole might be too big and was causing him to compensate by grabbing the ball and raising the shoulder, but his thumb hole doesn't seem to big. He used this ball last season and he didn't raise his shoulder, so I doubt it is weight/too heavy. He raises it as soon as he begins his approach. I'm stumped and hoping someone might have some other things to check.

Thanks in advance,
-ack

Another question: is his shoulder high in the set up or does it go up as he starts to walk?

RobLV1
10-02-2015, 01:20 AM
The relevent question is: where is his shoulder when he releases the ball? Where it is before that time is totally irrelevent.

bowl1820
10-02-2015, 09:15 AM
The relevent question is: where is his shoulder when he releases the ball? Where it is before that time is totally irrelevent. .

I don't exactly agree with all of that statement, IMO if someone sees that something has changed in your approach, like raising your shoulder that would be just as relevant also.

Where thing's are at the start of and during the approach have a bearing on where they are at the release.

"Just knowing what city someone arrived at, doesn't necessarily tell you if they took the best road to get there."

Amyers
10-02-2015, 09:22 AM
If he is raising his shoulder he is starting off with a decent amount of lateral tilt I'm guessing and maybe subconsciously correcting for it during the approach. As long as the shoulder drops back into place before the release it shouldn't be a big issue. is head staying over the ball during the swing?

RobLV1
10-02-2015, 10:20 AM
I don't exactly agree with all of that statement, IMO if someone sees that something has changed in your approach, like raising your shoulder that would be just as relevant also.

Where thing's are at the start of and during the approach have a bearing on where they are at the release.

"Just knowing what city someone arrived at, doesn't necessarily tell you if they took the best road to get there."

This is why the USBC offers a progression of Coaching Certification Classes. Level One and Bronze look at the bowler from the start of the approach to the foul line. Silver and Gold Levels look at the bowler from the foul line backward. Something amiss at the start of the approach may be an area of concern, but as long as it has righted itself by the time the bowler reaches the foul line, it is often deemed to be a non-issue.

J Anderson
10-02-2015, 12:31 PM
This is why the USBC offers a progression of Coaching Certification Classes. Level One and Bronze look at the bowler from the start of the approach to the foul line. Silver and Gold Levels look at the bowler from the foul line backward. Something amiss at the start of the approach may be an area of concern, but as long as it has righted itself by the time the bowler reaches the foul line, it is often deemed to be a non-issue.

I think the ball is back in the original poster's court. He noticed a change in his son's approach. He did not say whether this has had a negative effect on his son's performance.

If it is a problem, it could be as simple as he's trying to copy someone else. It could also be that his hand has grown since last season and the ball no longer fits. It might also be that the ball is now too light for him.

ackwdw123
10-02-2015, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the information. I will be able to observe my son tomorrow/Saturday morning. This observation came about after he came to me asking if I could watch him and see if anything seemed incorrect. I noticed right after the push off, while ball was dropping in step 2 of his release, he looked like he was pinching his shoulder up. I had his span increased a week before his league started. He used this ball last year and I don't recall him raising his shoulder.

billf
10-03-2015, 08:27 PM
How does the rest of the swing look? Check for a reverse loop.

billf
10-03-2015, 08:32 PM
The relevent question is: where is his shoulder when he releases the ball? Where it is before that time is totally irrelevent.

But often is not always otherwise we wouldn't have a list of causes for effects. Also this is a youth bowler so why let a bad habit form now that could limit his potential later on? Either way raising the shoulder during the approach is biomechanically ineffecient. Excessive movement is wasted energy.

ackwdw123
10-05-2015, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the suggestions to check. I posted a 12 second video of his release https://youtu.be/yC3c31gsD4Y if anyone is interested in taking a look. I also took still shots at each of the steps to try and break down some possible areas for improvement. Step 1: right shoulder seems to be in a decent position. Step 2: shoulder is pinched/raised. Step 3: Seems like he is swinging the ball back behind his leg and balance arm could be up/out. (He naturally holds the ball out to the right quite a bit which I can work on with him if it is determined to pull the ball a little closer). Step 4: Balance arm could use some attention and hand seems to be on top of the ball in this specific shot. I'm by no means a coach and only into my 3rd season bowling so I'll take any suggestions
Edit: Not having luck uploading the still images. I will try later.

Amyers
10-05-2015, 10:36 PM
I'm not a coach either so take this with a grain of salt I'm sure Rob and some of the other coaches will comment. Where did he get that unusual motion at the start from? I believe if you eliminate that you'll fix the shoulder problem. He does an excellent job keeping the ball under his head. He could be a little more underneath and behind the ball at the release point overall not bad.

Tony
10-06-2015, 01:10 AM
I am by no means a coach but have worked with a gold level coach and learned a bit about proper form.
It appears from the video he has developed a habit of "setting" the ball out to the side and pausing then going into his delivery. That is what is causing him to end up with the ball behind him on the back swing and results in a slightly roundhouse delivery. This is most certainly could be corrected with some instruction.
Normally he should be keeping the ball in front of him when taking his first step and starting his delivery instead of bringing it to the side. His balance and position at release is pretty good, with some adjustment he should be good.
Could it be possible he is using a ball that is too heavy and is unable to hold / control it properly?
The best possible thing you could do is bring him to see an experienced coach and work on the mechanics of the swing and the shoulder issue will be taken care of at the same time.

billf
10-06-2015, 01:11 AM
Two glaring things right off the bat.
1. The ball in the stance being so far outside the shoulder would cause a swing behind the back. To keep the swing from going as far behind the back as this position would dictate he moves the shoulder combined with
2. the first step goes right creating and odd "V" shape with the body.

Basically he is putting his body in awkward, non-leverage positions to create space for the swing.
Ball in stance should be from the seam of shirt at shoulder to sternum. Ball should not be seen from behind (featured Mark Baker Hall of Fame positions). The push/hinge or whatever is used should go straight or as far left as needed (everybody's natural shoulder abduction is different) to allow for the swing to stay in-line and under the head.
Notice his swing goes out-in-out rather than in-out-in? That is a reverse loop.

ackwdw123
10-06-2015, 09:35 PM
Thanks for taking a look and offering the suggestions. Here is a list of what I am going to bring back to my son to work on.

1. Hold ball closer to help with swing staying straight.
2. Walk a straight line to approach.
3. Smooth and straight/in-line release.
4. Keep hand underneath and behind ball.
5. Balance arm out at release.