PDA

View Full Version : Ever have a center close during a league?

The KingPin
02-04-2009, 12:09 AM
So I was bowling in a league a few years ago and i finished my league and decided to quit that center. It was old wood lanes which were fine, but the place was managed poorly. Anyways the next year the center closed down during a league. I know many people were mad because of the fees they had paid and such. But I am curious if this has ever happened to anyone else?

TN_Valley
02-25-2009, 04:50 PM
I had an AMF center in town close after the league was over. I think we had the last night of league in the center. Go figure that that's when I shoot my 299. Solid 7 right handed, nuff said. It took FOREVER to get my plaque. I sent messages to USBC, but they thought that the league had ended two weeks before I shot it. It eventually got resolved.

Jord_84
03-02-2009, 09:31 AM
we had a center in a nearby town catch fire and burn to the ground mid season a couple of years ago. My familys house offered to host the leagues from that house and keep their lineage the same. At least they had a place to bowl, and they were able to pay the same...but gosh, I can't imagine changing mid season like that....and if any of those poor people had equipment in their lockers =/

ThongPrincess
03-03-2009, 10:11 PM
One of the centers in our area had a fire in the deli attached. The center itself was not damaged, but they tried to claim they were. They did not close right after the fire, but mid summer leagues they decided to close and remodel. From what I heard the bowlers were not warned and left scrambling to find centers to take them in to finish the season. Today there are a few leagues, but it is mostly a party house that draws celebrities and celebrity parties.

In January 1994 three centers closed ;). For my fellow Californians, you may know it was the result of Mother Nature shaking things up. One center never reopened, it was a Brunswick house and the lease was close to being up. There was asbestos so rather than renew the lease and have to pay for the clean up, the center closed and became a super market. I was told bowlers with equipment in lockers and the pro shop could not recover anything because of the asbestos.

Of the other two, one lost a wall that was replaced and the center remodeled. The other had a partial roof collapse, if I recall correctly. Repairs were made. Both centers are still open today.

Many years ago another center went bankrupt and no one was told, not even employees. Employees found out they were out of a job when they arrived for work only to find the center doors bolted. I don't know if the bowlers were able to get their equipment from the lockers or not, I would assume they eventually did.

JerseyJim
03-05-2009, 01:05 PM
We were evacuated last year because of a gas leak in the grill area. It happened in the middle of the 2nd game. They let us back in after 45 mins. The utility company, and fire department checked everything out and declared it safe.

Richie V.
03-05-2009, 05:39 PM
I nearly had it happen during my league earlier in the season...there was a water main break in the vicinity of the mall (near where my house is located). The mall had to be evacuated, and they were on the point of evacuating my house for the night when they finally got the break under control.

Jord_84
03-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Our boiler broke on one of the coldest days of winter...-23 or something like that. We had to cancel leagues for the day and it took nearly 2 days for the building to really heat back up again. We've had 2 pipes in the radiators in the entry ways burst too....that's a pain in the butt....all the water gets tracked onto the concourse.

Baroncad
03-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Well, not close per say, just stopped allowing people to bowl. AMF-Bunker Hill house was converted into a 300 Club. Made all summer Leagues shortened their season by two or three weeks.

Been there once, hated it. :mad: Great league house pimped (insert other word) out for lively fun & games (oh, you can bowl too) :confused: