PDA

View Full Version : Swing plane / crossover step

AlexNC
10-18-2015, 08:26 PM
I've been working through an issue lately where my backswing is getting away from behind my head and ending up behind my back, causing accuracy issues as I come through the swing, though it is still coming next to my ankle at the bottom. At the suggestion of one of my pro shop guys, I experimented with some changes with my push away, but I still had a tendency to come behind my back.

I recorded myself and saw that I was over exaggerating my crossover step - almost 4 boards as my right foot came over the left on step 2 of my 5 step approach. To me it looks like the exaggeration pulls my upper body to the left, so by the time the ball is dropping into the backswing the ball is outside the body to the right. I am gonna fix the crossover either way, but is this something that could be screwing with my swing plane? Will upload some video if I get a chance here.

Tony
10-18-2015, 09:27 PM
It would seem like crossing over that far would potentially cause you to swing your other leg out around and cause you to open your hips and shoulders causing your arm-swing problem.
Being able to take video can be so helpful in identifying issues like this.

AlexNC
10-19-2015, 09:58 AM
https://youtu.be/50cGnA3dhEI

Okay, so maybe not quite 4 boards, but it does look pretty erratic. My push away definitely ends up away from my body. Apologies in advance for the slight offset of angle, which i realize makes it a little more difficult to see the issue.

billf
10-19-2015, 10:06 AM
Video isn't loading so I will watch later.
A crossover that goes beyond the other foot can cause all sorts of body misalignment issues. They can vary depending on the person's flexibility, etc..
Normally a swing behind the back is from two things 1. ball too far outside the shoulder in the stance 2. the bowler forces the backwind without rotating the arm. The shoulder has four major muscles. Most people don't have the flexibility in them to allow the arm to go straight back with the hand facing forward.

billf
10-19-2015, 10:08 AM
Just watched. move the ball to the seam of your shoulder, push/drop to the left. It drops noticeably to the right. The only place for your arm to go is back and left.

AlexNC
10-19-2015, 10:11 AM
Thanks Bill, I wasn't aware of the arm rotation during backswing and have just been coming straight back with my arm position. As far as number 1 goes, I have my ball in between my chin and shoulder in my stance, or at least I perceive it that way. When work on things in front of a mirror I try to position it there.

AlexNC
10-19-2015, 10:14 AM
Just saw your next reply - I will check those things out. I had some coaching yesterday working on pushing to the left - sometimes it worked, sometimes I still managed to bring it around my back. He then had me isolate the swing before starting the approach, and then do the same before each approach to try and keep it in my head what it felt like.

Aslan
10-19-2015, 02:01 PM
I recorded myself and saw that I was over exaggerating my crossover step - almost 4 boards as my right foot came over the left on step 2 of my 5 step approach. To me it looks like the exaggeration pulls my upper body to the left, so by the time the ball is dropping into the backswing the ball is outside the body to the right. I am gonna fix the crossover either way, but is this something that could be screwing with my swing plane? Will upload some video if I get a chance here.

I'm dealing with the same thing. A long first step and a first step that crosses too far over my left foot (versus in front of). I've been working on making the first step shorter for months with minor success...but now I have to also fix "crossing over" too much. Amazingly frustrating that after 2 years I'm still working on the first step of the process...but I've seen some rather dramatic improvement addressing these kinda basic, approach-oriented items.

My first step being long was really screwing up my timing. My first step crossing over is more affecting my ability to walk a straight line without drifting. And the drifting is a potential problem because it makes it hard to play "inside" (especially without smashing the ball into the inside of my ankle...which HURTS) while drifting to the right.

AlexNC
10-19-2015, 02:31 PM
I'm dealing with the same thing. A long first step and a first step that crosses too far over my left foot (versus in front of). I've been working on making the first step shorter for months with minor success...but now I have to also fix "crossing over" too much. Amazingly frustrating that after 2 years I'm still working on the first step of the process...but I've seen some rather dramatic improvement addressing these kinda basic, approach-oriented items.

My first step being long was really screwing up my timing. My first step crossing over is more affecting my ability to walk a straight line without drifting. And the drifting is a potential problem because it makes it hard to play "inside" (especially without smashing the ball into the inside of my ankle...which HURTS) while drifting to the right.

I tend to overexaggerate motions like the crossover, but moreover any corrections I attempt to make. I am going to attempt to correct this push by making it more to the left, but I will have to be careful that I don't over do it. I have been told with other things in life that I tend to be a "bull in a china shop", and for me bowling is no exception. :p

Regarding the crossover step, I have seen the drills where they use some tape applied to the approach, I might try something similar at home or when my center is slow - just to make sure I am only crossing in front of the other foot and not into another dimension.