PDA

View Full Version : Hy Road Reviews

Mr Straight Ball
01-09-2009, 02:17 PM
While designing and testing the HY-ROAD we kept in mind that we needed to maintain the superior on-lane performance that has come expected from the Thunder Line of bowling balls. Our desired outcome was to create a bowling ball that strategically placed itself in-between the T-Road Solid and T-Road Pearl. What better way to do so than combine the two coverstocks, hence creating a hybrid coverstock. By utilizing the ever so powerful Inverted Fe² Technology for the weight block, we knew that we could create the mid-lane read needed to handle a medium-heavy lane condition. By encasing the weight block inside the R2S Hybrid coverstock, we found the perfect balance between its two predecessors. We found the Hybrid to be a great go-to ball once the T-Road Solid is too much. It gives you better mid-lane control than the Pearl. The reaction can be described as the ultimate benchmark reaction, mid-lane read with a predictable hook motion.

Coverstock: R2S™ Hybrid
Weight Block: Inverted Fe² Technology
Ball Finish: 1500-grit Polish
Ball Color: Black/Ultramarine Blue
Durometer: 74-76 Rex D-scale
Flare Potential: 5” - 6” (High)
Fragrance: Boysenberry
Weights: 12-16 lbs.

Mr Straight Ball
01-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Specs: 16.1 - 3oz top - 2.5" pin
Layout: 5x4x2 (1/2 finger, 1/2 side) hole 4 1/2 across
Style: 18.6 mph – plenty of those RPM things
Surface: Took the factory shine off with Bowling Concepts Clean N Dull and then hit it with Track Clean ‘N Sheen (it’s still shiny)

WARNING: This ball is the truth!

I have been awaiting for the second coming of a ball similar to the Hot Rod Hybrid and it has arrived! What makes this ball special is how smooth it glides through the fronts, yet it does not skate through the midlane in search of the backend. This ball is a great blend of the solid and pearl version as it does not need a ton of oil to scoot and it does not make the hockey stick motion down the lane.

The first week I had the ball, it did not have the hole since my driller and I were rushing to make league. I liked the reaction but it was erratic, turns out it had 7/8 finger and 15/16 side. WHOA! By adding the weight hole, the ball became a lot more stable and now does not flare the whole ball in all direction. SHEW! Now what I have is a ball that reads the mids yet does not go sideways down the lane…PERFECT!!! Normally I am greeting my friend “Mr. Solid 9”, so far, the ball enters the pocket and keeps the pins down and going backwards! The carry has been tremendous with this ball the three outings I have used it. In 9 games, I have seen 9 or 10 strikes on the board multiple times.

So far, this nugget has seen a 44 foot house shot (house does not strip on our league night, mucho carry down) and a house running a 44ft well-maintained top hat that has plenty of friction out. This ball is proving it’s not afraid of a little oil or a little friction.

Take the "Hy-Road" and get your butt to the pro shop to get one!!!

JerseyJim
02-25-2009, 11:57 PM
BALL SPECS
Pin Length - 3"
Starting Top Weight - 2 oz.
Ball Weight - 16 lbs

DRILL PATTERN
Pin to PAP - 4" Pin over ring finger
CG to PAP - 4"
X Hole (if needed) - n/a
MB Location - n/a

BOWLER STYLE
Rev Rate -
Ball Speed - 16.5 - 17.5
PAP/Track - 4 3/4 x 0" up

PICTURE AND VIDEO LINKS

SURFACE PREPARATION
Grit -
Type (Matte, Polish, Sanded) - Polished - Scuffed slightly with gray scotchbrite

LANE CONDITION
Length - 37"
Volume - Medium
Type (Wall, Xmas Tree, Sport) - THS

BALL REACTION
Length - 8
Back End - 9
Overall Hook - 9
Midlane Read - 5 - 7 after the scuffing
Breakpoint Shape - hard arc

COMMENTS: This is my first Storm ball, I won my choice of balls in a raffle, and decided to get this instead of the Cell Pearl.

Carry - This ball displays surprising carry. It's close to the type of action that I got from the LM Absolute Power, and Sure Strike

Likes - It's clean through the front. It reacts quickly when it hits dry. It's a good bench mark ball.

Dislikes - In its box condition, this ball was too over/under for me. I gave it a light scuffing with a gray scotchbrite and that did the trick. It's much more predicable for me.

mike-boogie
10-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Just got this ball, and I absolutley love it! Had my local pro shop drill it according to how I throw and it isvan awesome ball! Would recomend it to anyone who might be thinking about buying it.