PDA

View Full Version : I love payimg it forward ...

Jessiewoodard57
10-26-2015, 11:22 AM
I recently won a Roto Grip Haywire from the Forum (thank you guys) that I've not gotten to use in league play yet but I want to tell you what happened last night a league. My partner has 3 daughters 2 in their early teens ( both are in our league as one team) and one about a year old. She is married and a stay at home mom so I figure money can be tight. The 14 year old has rolled a 200 game with a plastic ball conventional grip. In the game she started with a 9 spare followed by 3 strikes then another spare but from there it went down hill quick. She told her mom she could not wait to get a better ball and go to fingertip grips ( she hooks the plastic a little bit already ) but mom said she would need to wait. I recently switched from 13 to 14 pound equipment and as luck would have it I just happened to have the ball I rolled my first 200 game with in my bag, a 13# Brunswick Rhino Gold so I reached in to the bag and pulled it out . I asked her what pound ball she bowls with and yup you guessed it 13#. I handed her the ball and said to her a gift for you. I explained her mom how I was switching to 14# equipment and this was the last 13# ball I had not given away. I gave her my PSO owner's name and address and told her it will need to be plugged and redrilled for her. I also told her mom to give him my name and ask him to put the plug and redrill on my tab. What a smile! It sure feels great paying it forward. Not to mention encouraging the younger generation.

billf
10-26-2015, 11:41 AM
People ask me how I can give balls away like I do instead of selling them. Now you are one person that can understand it. Times are tough for a lot of people so being able to do something like this is gratifying.
You're a good person and I wish you all the best.

Jessiewoodard57
10-26-2015, 11:57 AM
At the end of this league I will get a DV8 outcast free. I'm already looking into the high school team that bowls there at our center. I want the coach to find a young person that is needy and deserving of a new undrilled ball

JasonNJ
10-26-2015, 12:01 PM
That's awesome Jessie. You're a good man.

billf
10-26-2015, 12:04 PM
Our high school team has benefitted greatly from donated balls. Each month our center has a ball raffle with the proceeds going to the youth league (covers sanction fees, awards, fun day at the end of league, etc.). Anyway, with me bowling so many leagues and coaching the kids many have come by during leagues to talk. They have ended up talking with many bowlers who have come to watch them practice or compete. With a town of 30k people I had four kids compete in Chicago this year for Jr. Gold. The result? Many ball raffle winners have donated the ball to the high school team with some even covering the drilling, slugs and grips. Most bowlers on the JV teams have plastic balls and some are still using conventional grip (uggh).

AlexNC
10-26-2015, 12:22 PM
I recently won a Roto Grip Haywire from the Forum (thank you guys) that I've not gotten to use in league play yet but I want to tell you what happened last night a league. My partner has 3 daughters 2 in their early teens ( both are in our league as one team) and one about a year old. She is married and a stay at home mom so I figure money can be tight. The 14 year old has rolled a 200 game with a plastic ball conventional grip. In the game she started with a 9 spare followed by 3 strikes then another spare but from there it went down hill quick. She told her mom she could not wait to get a better ball and go to fingertip grips ( she hooks the plastic a little bit already ) but mom said she would need to wait. I recently switched from 13 to 14 pound equipment and as luck would have it I just happened to have the ball I rolled my first 200 game with in my bag, a 13# Brunswick Rhino Gold so I reached in to the bag and pulled it out . I asked her what pound ball she bowls with and yup you guessed it 13#. I handed her the ball and said to her a gift for you. I explained her mom how I was switching to 14# equipment and this was the last 13# ball I had not given away. I gave her my PSO owner's name and address and told her it will need to be plugged and redrilled for her. I also told her mom to give him my name and ask him to put the plug and redrill on my tab. What a smile! It sure feels great paying it forward. Not to mention encouraging the younger generation.

Very cool of you to do this! Where do you find a pro shop that lets you keep a tab 😝

Jessiewoodard57
10-26-2015, 12:31 PM
I see him weekly and he knows I'll pay him at our Tuesday league. He is the type guy that when I wanted to switch to 14# equipment he reached into his own bag and plugged and drilled one of his own balls (A storm 2 fast ) giving it to me for the price of the drilling so I could test the weight. This is why this man has my full support.

Jaescrub
10-26-2015, 01:11 PM
I love this! Most of the people on here know of my luck at winning contests for balls. I gave all but one to teammates or Jr bowlers ;) and the one I kept was the very last ball I won from Storms Diandra Asbaty. It's a really good feeling to give needy bowlers such a gift.

LyalC52
10-26-2015, 01:22 PM
Good on you Jessie!!!!

LyalC52
10-26-2015, 01:27 PM
Very cool of you to do this! Where do you find a pro shop that lets you keep a tab 😝

establish a good relationship with one
I'm sure the guy who does all mine and my daughter's stuff would do the same

after all, we are talking mostly labor and very little out of pocket
I'm sure any good PSO is willing to float a small tab to a good customer

Tony
10-26-2015, 02:03 PM
Nice work, it's a great thing to do !

It's great you have a PSO like that too, the guy I've been going to seems pretty nice but last time I saw him he called me Terry, I would have thought after buying 3 balls from him and having 2 or 3 others drilled plus referring 3 other bowlers to him, and attending one of his ball roll-outs, all in the last 6 months he would remember my name! SMH

Jessiewoodard57
10-26-2015, 02:14 PM
I forgot to tell you the high school team I am donating to has none other than PBA Hall of Famer, Walter Ray Williams Jr as their asst coach how cool is that!

vdubtx
10-26-2015, 02:15 PM
Good on you Jessie. :cool:

Aslan
10-26-2015, 02:56 PM
I forgot to tell you the high school team I am donating to has none other than PBA Hall of Famer, Walter Ray Williams Jr as their asst coach how cool is that!

Wait....

Is the single-mom teammate hot? Send pix plz. I have quite a few older, drilled bowling balls....I TOO may be in the market to "pay it forward"...especially if she's hot.

Jessiewoodard57
10-26-2015, 03:05 PM
LOL, don't know about you Aslan, She is married with 3 daughters as a matter of fact she is only about 3 years older than my daughter

JasonNJ
10-26-2015, 04:11 PM
LOL, don't know about you Aslan, She is married with 3 daughters as a matter of fact she is only about 3 years older than my daughter

Next thing Aslan is going to ask is your daughter hot? :cool:

Jessiewoodard57
10-26-2015, 10:48 PM
LOL She is a fox but is happily married to a Baptist pastor.