PDA

View Full Version : What to do with extreme humidity?

JasonNJ
10-29-2015, 02:41 PM
Last night during my Wednesday Night Mixed league the bowling center was a sauna. It rained all day and was still raining when league started. I could not slide at all and pretty much everyone had the same issue. In fact one of the guys on the team I was playing against actually took a fall and practically fell onto the lane. I've been bowling here 2 or 3 times a week for the last 14 months or so and never had conditions like this.

What are some of the things I can do next to combat this? Thanks.

Jason

LyalC52
10-29-2015, 03:05 PM
get shoes with changeable soles and heels
never used on but I heard the slide socks are good for heavy humidity

or be "that guy" and dust your shoes and approaches with easy slide lol

Amyers
10-29-2015, 03:22 PM
Get a soap stone to rub on your shoe can help sometimes too. Interchangeable soles are great if this is a frequent problem. Mine get a decent amount of use because I bowl in some houses that are synthetic approaches and some wood.

NewToBowling
10-29-2015, 03:44 PM
Humidity, what's that? :)

RobLV1
10-29-2015, 03:53 PM
Changeable heels and soles, as well as slide socks are the best way to combat the sticky approaches resulting from high humidity. Once you find something that allows you to slide, you need to realize that high humidity also affects the oil on the lanes. Usually, high humidity creates over/under ball reactions. There are two things that you can do to minimize this: use a solid reactive ball with some surface, and stay away from the oil line. Either play the dry on the outside, or the oil inside, but avoid the line that gets you too close to both the oil and the friction.

vdubtx
10-29-2015, 04:09 PM
Was in the pro shop last weekend and the center was having travel league. Had been raining for the past 2 days, 10"+ and they sold out of their slide socks because of the 100% humidity. The slide socks do work, plenty of people use them. I don't personally.

Tony
10-29-2015, 08:16 PM
This happened a few weeks ago and it was horrible, some of the guys with interchangeable soles were able to change and it helped, a couple of others used slide socks and that worked well. Heard one guy took his slide shoe off and just wore his sock. Since then I got a slide sock and threw it in my bag....

JasonNJ
10-29-2015, 09:09 PM
I'm definitely getting shoes with interchangeable soles. What do you guys think about the Dexter tanks? I found them online for $129.

Blacksox1
10-30-2015, 01:00 AM
I'm definitely getting shoes with interchangeable soles. What do you guys think about the Dexter tanks? I found them online for $129.

http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/18818-Need-new-shoes!

Check this thread JasonNJ
(http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/18818-Need-new-shoes!)

Tony
10-30-2015, 10:24 AM

I found some sst6 online amazon for 99.00 it was a good deal but I returned them because the opposite shoe is non interchangeable sole/heel and the shoe had too much grip for me.
(FYI for most people this wouldn't be a problem but due to an injury I sometimes drag my non slide shoe a little and the grip caused me to stumble.)
I did like the stability of the wider boxier toe area.

classygranny
10-30-2015, 07:36 PM
Combat humidity? Move to Phoenix, we only have to deal with that one month of the year...(:>

mc_runner
10-31-2015, 05:43 PM
Stay low and expect to bend your knee more. It's less of an issue with interchangeable soles, however.

billf
11-02-2015, 02:09 AM

Love my Tanks. Only shoe to ever last more than a season for me and I'm on my third year with them! I bowl at least three leagues a week year round plus practice a few days a week.