PDA

View Full Version : New ball.........finally

Gutternut
11-05-2015, 04:28 PM
So I just purchased my first "real ball", Game Breaker 2 Gold. No longer trying to hook my plastic ball

Check out that drilling, lefty AND thumb less bowler (kept the thumb for spares).............its unique lol

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y438/ryan85miller/a3d9f9d2-6ebc-41b0-94b7-1bc2ca6d01c8_zpszt8ndn1x.jpg

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y438/ryan85miller/0599fa76-9300-4e9a-b7e6-f41e62915cbb_zpsnqgjowbz.jpg

Tony
11-05-2015, 10:43 PM
Nice looking ball !

FWIW
I'm not sure if the rules are still the same or if your PSO told you, if you are throwing thumb-less the ball would have 2 balance holes and be Illegal. This was as of USBC may 2014

http://www.bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622321723

I am certainly not an expert on rules, but if you plan to bowl in competition it might be good to check it out, it might also apply to leagues but not sure if it does or if anyone would ever call you on it ....

Gutternut
11-06-2015, 01:41 PM
interesting.....I'll look into that.

I asked for them to drill the thumb so it would make it easy for my to use it for spares and in the event that I try to bowl with my thumb.

I wonder if a IT slug would be an easy fix.

Amyers
11-06-2015, 02:32 PM
interesting.....I'll look into that.

I asked for them to drill the thumb so it would make it easy for my to use it for spares and in the event that I try to bowl with my thumb.

I wonder if a IT slug would be an easy fix.

Maybe I'm an idiot here but how would an IT Slug fix the problem of having to many holes in the ball? Do they make a solid slug?

Gutternut
11-06-2015, 03:07 PM
That's what I meant. Adding an IT so I can use a blank slug. Idk lol

Tony
11-06-2015, 03:38 PM
Someone with a more in-depth knowledge of the rules might know the answer but I would guess you would have to plug the balance hole to make the ball comply with the rules, using a removable insert would make it too easy to play with the rule and that's why they came out and specified this rule in the first place.

bowl1820
11-06-2015, 03:51 PM
That's what I meant. Adding an IT so I can use a blank slug. Idk lol

Nope thats illegal too!

USBC Drilling Specifications:
2. One hole for balance purposes not to exceed 11⁄4 inches in diameter. This hole may not exceed 11⁄4 inches at any point through the depth of the hole. (Slugs and tape will be allowed, however interchangeable devices are not allowed)

As the ball sits, if you bowl thumbless its illegal. So you'd have to plug one hole or the other.

Also if you plug the "thumbhole" you'd have to check static weights from the new grip center (between the fingerholes) and if they are off change the weight hole.

or if you plug the "weight hole" you'd have to check static weights then too and make change if they are off.

bowl1820
11-06-2015, 04:06 PM
Do they make a solid slug?
Slugs are solid to begin with you have drill the hole in them.
you just make a new insert like you normally would and just not drill a hole in the slug, the problems are . If it fits good and and flush it could be hard to remove, if theres a void below the slug it would be illegal because of that too.

Now If you could legally do it, you could have a adjustable weight hole. By having slugs with differing size holes in them.

billf
11-07-2015, 08:26 AM
I'm drilling one of these today but mine will be legal :cool:

Mike White
11-07-2015, 11:12 AM
Slugs are solid to begin with you have drill the hole in them.
you just make a new insert like you normally would and just not drill a hole in the slug, the problems are . If it fits good and and flush it could be hard to remove, if theres a void below the slug it would be illegal because of that too.

Now If you could legally do it, you could have a adjustable weight hole. By having slugs with differing size holes in them.

If USBC really was serious about the "No Void" rule, then every ball with a Vise IT would be declared illegal.

The process of installing the Ball It causes there to be a void below the Ball It.

Gutternut
11-09-2015, 11:28 AM
well I guess I better learn to bowl with my thumb :(