PDA

View Full Version : Gummed up ball returned!

Jessiewoodard57
11-09-2015, 09:32 AM
We tried a new "fun center" lanes that where just added to the Arcade section of the mall. They have 22 brand new lanes using AMF setters. The problem we encountered I would not expect from a brand new lane setup . Our balls where returning with black sticky bubblegum like patches all over the balls. It started out a spot here and there but mid way through the 2nd game it got so bad we packed it up and went home. At that point the balls where not reacting the way they should. Each throw they would do something entirely different due to the sticky spots contacting the lane surface. Cleaning them was a mess I had to use rubbing alcohol and a lot of elbow grease to remove the gummy mess then re polish each ball. Anyone have any Ideas why this was happening?

billf
11-09-2015, 10:56 AM
It's heated up and cooled grease. usually it hits the ball return belts and makes a hell of a mess. Either from a messy mechanic when they lubed the equipment or a seal from a joint or motor is leaking.
We have two pair that are like that. I replaced all the seals, motors and belts last season and it is still an issue. My hunch, which the owner disagrees with, is there is a build up in the subway system of the return.

LyalC52
11-09-2015, 10:58 AM
I recall bowing at a new house many years ago that had a similar problem the first few months
it was kinda tar like and yes sticky

went away with some time, maybe new install goo haha

Amyers
11-09-2015, 11:05 AM
I've also seen white good that is sticky at one of my houses that I bowl at the owner says it happens when the belts are too tight and start to melt. Mess to get off.

Ptnomore
11-09-2015, 01:54 PM
About a year ago, the house I bowl at purchased lanes and accelerators from a house that went belly up. The accelerators went in first. And they are a mess. Every ball thrown comes back with a patch of tar like stuff on it. And if it gets hung up somewhere, that tar gets spread across the ball. It takes ALOT of scrubbing to get that stuff off. The proshop owner uses Acetone. That seems like the only thing that takes it off without alot of work. But can you imagine the smell if every bowler was cleaning their ball with acetone, after every shot? He's selling cleaner and towels like crazy, the bowlers are pissed, and the house owner and proshop owner says there's nothing they can do about it. I have a Motiv Sniper spare ball. It's white and grey, at least it was. Now it's mostly black and white. It's ridiculous.

got_a_300
11-09-2015, 10:57 PM
The proshop owner uses Acetone.
If I'm not mistaken it is against USBC rules to use Acetone on
bowling balls as it changes the balls surface I think it makes it
too soft.

billf
11-10-2015, 08:09 AM
If I'm not mistaken it is against USBC rules to use Acetone on
bowling balls as it changes the balls surface I think it makes it
too soft.

Correct. Acetone is on the banned for any use list. That being said a lot of shops use it because it does work extremely well.

Tony
11-10-2015, 08:52 AM
RE: PTNOMORE
Sounds like a horrible situation, speaking as a non expert on bowling equipment but with a high level of experience on all sorts of other equipment, there's no doubt it wasn't originally designed to do that so there are probably things they can do , but don't want to because of cost or other reasons. If there were alternative bowling centers people would leave and they would have to do something, so I'm guessing there are not many options for the bowlers.

Jessiewoodard57
11-10-2015, 08:55 AM
I would be afraid to use anything stronger then alcohol for fear it would ruin the reactive cover of modern bowling balls. Not to mention acetone can loosen super glue. I could just see throwing the ball and having my inserts and/or turbo thumb pop out.

Jessiewoodard57
11-10-2015, 08:59 AM
BTW I talked to the mechanic at the lanes (a good friend of mine) and he said he still needs to replace the belts on 1 - 10 so next time ask for lane 11 or higher. I am happy the are fixing the problem as they plan on starting leagues there in 2016

Ptnomore
11-10-2015, 02:38 PM
RE: PTNOMORE
Sounds like a horrible situation, speaking as a non expert on bowling equipment but with a high level of experience on all sorts of other equipment, there's no doubt it wasn't originally designed to do that so there are probably things they can do , but don't want to because of cost or other reasons. If there were alternative bowling centers people would leave and they would have to do something, so I'm guessing there are not many options for the bowlers.

There are other options, sort of. There are other houses, one is smaller w older synthetics, not very well maintained and the locals there that form the leagues can be a bit out of hand for alot of folks that I bowl with (older, close to retirement, if not retired). The other one is another 20 minutes up the road, closer for a few, but much farther away for most making it difficult to get to by start time, as well as not being very well designed. Lugging your equipment up a flight of stairs is not fun...a FULL flight, not just 5 or 6 steps...especially if you typically bring 3, 4, or more balls with you like so many in some of these leagues do.

This house has spent quite a bit of money in the last couple of years. 2 years ago it was a brand new AC system and the Accelerators. This past summer they installed the synthetic lanes. It's a pretty nice house. Consistency is getting better, play wise, but balls are still getting damaged, and the tar on the balls is pretty bad.

We lost a few teams last year that opted to move to another house to start their own league, but they came back this year.

I guess it's something that we have to put up with.

Jessiewoodard, and yes, we've been seeing the finger inserts flying out of the holes this year, more so than usual...no doubt due to the acetone being used to clean the balls.

I won't use Acetone on my equipment. Never did. I just know what it can do to the ball long term, not to mention your skin and lungs. I prefer to not have to put on gloves just to clean my ball. A little elbow grease never hurt anyone.

Its' just that even with the acetone, I know that tar stuff is clogging the pores of the balls and increasing the necessary surface maintenance intervals of the balls, which significantly shortens the life of the ball. I see SOOooo many experienced GOOD bowlers now complaining that their equipment just seems to be dieing WAY too early. I'm certain that that tar stuff is what is doing it.

Jessiewoodard57
11-12-2015, 03:25 PM
Also found out this was not new equipment that went in but equipment that was bought from a Air Force Base. The machines had sat unused for 3 years.