PDA

View Full Version : Push away direction... Confused.

edpup316
11-09-2015, 05:58 PM
As I'm typing this, I still am unsure if what i'm asking makes sense.

I have heard and been told and read different things about what the path of the push away should look like i.e. towards your target, in front of your body and that if someone was standing behind you they shouldn't be able to see the ball during the push away. Those are are well and good if your if never move left of the 20 board but what happens if you have to? I put together a little diagram with the mark being the second arrow, to possibly illustrate what i'm getting at.

Obviously you don't want if your standing on 30 and your mark is 14 you wouldn't have the same body angle as standing on 20 and throwing at 10. Right?

I have always gotten confused on this fundamental.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g203/edpup316/Capture.jpg (http://s57.photobucket.com/user/edpup316/media/Capture.jpg.html)

billf
11-10-2015, 08:30 AM
Hope this helps

https://youtu.be/JY8HdN2XYvc

fokai73
11-10-2015, 01:19 PM
Many times bowlers think they are starting their pushaway straight towards the target, but in reality, some times they are pushing away to the outside of their body center. By doing what ND is saying in the video is one way to learn not to bump the swing outside. Bumping the swing outside can cause many things to go wrong in a persons physical game like falling off the shot, for example. Having another pair of eyes is helpful when working on the swing plane.

GeoLes
11-11-2015, 03:33 PM
As I read the original question, I think the question is should the push be along the board on which you are walking (assuming that you are walking straight and not drifting), or should you pushoff at the target. The Norm Duke video seems to be address correcting a faulty ball alignment rather than where to push.

I push off directly at the target rather than straight in front of me, (unless my target is directly in front of me, that is). I am sure there are many who push off in directly in front regardless of the direction of the target. (Norm Duke talked about going forward and then angling to the right in order to shoot corner pin, so he may always push forward.)

My wife had that problem early in her game development. She felt she had to swing her arm wide to reach a mark outside of her body position and kept dumping the ball in the gutter. Eventually, she learned to open her torso to allow a swing line close to her body. It may seem like a very small thing, but awareness of ball alignment and direction of push off has vastly improved my ability to hit my mark as well as my ability to get the desired ball movement and pin response, each time I bowl.

So it is a very good question.

billf
11-12-2015, 08:09 AM
In stance ball is centered on my shoulder seam per Mark Bsker. I push over my left knee as Joe Slowinski says. Ball weight is how Norm Duke described. Works for me but doesn't for everybody
Also my hips and shoulder are very much open which allows me better leverage with less shoulder strain. Basically my push may actually be straight but my body is more sideways.

Amyers
11-12-2015, 01:32 PM
In stance ball is centered on my shoulder seam per Mark Bsker. I push over my left knee as Joe Slowinski says. Ball weight is how Norm Duke described. Works for me but doesn't for everybody
Also my hips and shoulder are very much open which allows me better leverage with less shoulder strain. Basically my push may actually be straight but my body is more sideways.

Be careful with this because if your not using DYDS with the over the left knee push away your going to plant the ball in your leg a lot. This gets confusing when your mashing multiple styles together. I don't think Duke or Baker would suggest pushing away like that.

billf
11-13-2015, 07:58 AM
Be careful with this because if your not using DYDS with the over the left knee push away your going to plant the ball in your leg a lot. This gets confusing when your mashing multiple styles together. I don't think Duke or Baker would suggest pushing away like that.

Actually if you watch the entire Norm Duke "Learn to bowl competitively" DVD, he does when playing deeper angles. Mark Baker says the deeper the angle played the more loop that is needed in the swing. Given my hip and torso angle to the lanes it does keep the swing inline with my head. I've never, ever have hit my leg. I have hit my ankle a few times though.

Amyers
11-13-2015, 09:17 AM
Actually if you watch the entire Norm Duke "Learn to bowl competitively" DVD, he does when playing deeper angles. Mark Baker says the deeper the angle played the more loop that is needed in the swing. Given my hip and torso angle to the lanes it does keep the swing inline with my head. I've never, ever have hit my leg. I have hit my ankle a few times though.

I wasn't saying you couldn't do that just to be careful with it. If the bread and butter stand on the big dot and throw it at the second arrow guys start trying that they are going to have issues was my only point.