PDA

View Full Version : How to throw a straight ball

Timmyb
11-12-2015, 11:03 PM
I feel a little embarrassed to ask this, but it's a problem that's plagued my game for a long time. I cannot seem to figure out how to throw a ball straight. As much as I concentrate on it, breaking my wrist back, trying to not turn the ball, I still manage to put some amount of turn on it. Considering I'm moving to a much harder turning ball, it'd be nice to put this in my bag of tricks. Anyone have a few pointers?

RobLV1
11-13-2015, 03:28 AM
I feel a little embarrassed to ask this, but it's a problem that's plagued my game for a long time. I cannot seem to figure out how to throw a ball straight. As much as I concentrate on it, breaking my wrist back, trying to not turn the ball, I still manage to put some amount of turn on it. Considering I'm moving to a much harder turning ball, it'd be nice to put this in my bag of tricks. Anyone have a few pointers?

Come straight up the back of the ball, like you are trying to back it up. Finish with your thumb pointing to 3 o'clock.

billf
11-13-2015, 07:47 AM
Seems like anything in bowling you have to over-emphasize. I try to throw a back up ball and it comes out straight

Amyers
11-13-2015, 09:13 AM
Quit trying to throw reactive balls at spares and get a plastic one.

Jessiewoodard57
11-13-2015, 12:17 PM
I'm ordering a 14# Storm Mix this week. My PSO asked me which color I told him anything but red and silver since my son has that one. He said even pink? I said surprise me so I would bet he is going to order pink. I am so sick of my Taboo spare ball moving left no matter how much I come straight out of the back of the ball . Yes it's plastic but they should have called it a light to dry oil ball. That gas mask core still makes it move.

Amyers
11-13-2015, 12:34 PM
I'm ordering a 14# Storm Mix this week. My PSO asked me which color I told him anything but red and silver since my son has that one. He said even pink? I said surprise me so I would bet he is going to order pink. I am so sick of my Taboo spare ball moving left no matter how much I come straight out of the back of the ball . Yes it's plastic but they should have called it a light to dry oil ball. That gas mask core still makes it move.

Jessie I think your a lower speed higher rev guy a little like myself and even my pure plastic ball still hooks if I use my normal release on drier lanes. Norm Duke has a video on how he throws backup balls at spares it's really not that hard it's basically about staying way on the inside of the ball and releasing with the ball rolling off the thumb side of the hand instead of the palm side. For me the ball doesn't really back up but on dry lanes it does roll straight.

When I first started working with it I was about 50% with it but it was still better than I could do with the lanes hooking the ball. I'm around 75-80% now. using that release it's not quite as good as I can do with my regular release but it's a lot better than trying to throw the ball or stuff it somewhere it wont go.

Jessiewoodard57
11-13-2015, 02:02 PM
That describes me well. I watched Norm's 10 pin release so next practice I am shooting only 10 pins for a couple of games

Timmyb
11-13-2015, 04:04 PM
Quit trying to throw reactive balls at spares and get a plastic one.

I have an old Gemstar I'm going to have re-drilled along with the new ball, but I'd still like to be able to do this. I do bowl with a wrist brace, but that's out of necessity (carpal). I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

Ishkabibble
11-13-2015, 04:09 PM
I break the wrist and stay behind the ball and more push the ball down the lane rather than lift.
I have seen people take one finger out of the ball, might be illegal if you have a balance hole.

billf
11-13-2015, 06:24 PM
I have an old Gemstar I'm going to have re-drilled along with the new ball, but I'd still like to be able to do this. I do bowl with a wrist brace, but that's out of necessity (carpal). I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

So I assume you take the brace off for spares?

Ishkabibble
11-13-2015, 09:11 PM
I bowled with a wrist brace for over 20 years. No medical just weak wrists. I had the one that you could adjust side to side and the amount of cup. I would break it all the way back for 10 pins and was able to go almost no hook. If I took it off I could no hook it. This past summer I started bowling without is just because the added sweat the brace gave was making it harder to come cleanly out of the ball. Even with a terry cloth glove under it. It is like learning how to bowl all over again. Past few weeks I have been able to be pretty consistent and finally have my average in the 190's. By the end of season I hope to be above 200 again.

Timmyb
11-13-2015, 11:45 PM
So I assume you take the brace off for spares?

Only if you'd like to hear me cry like a baby. 40 years of bowling and 33 years a machinist, and my wrists are cooked. I should get them fixed, but blah blah blah. Doesn't hurt with the brace. Red hot pokers without.

I wear a sleeve under the brace, so by the time I take the brace off to shoot a spare, I've put everyone else behind. Plus, I kind of don't like to take it off once I've put it on and have it cinched up just the way I like it. I've seen plenty of guys that have no issues with throwing a straight ball with a brace on, so I figured I was the one doing something wrong.

djp1080
11-14-2015, 01:17 AM

Jessie, I have a Storm Mix (purple/black). I use it for most all my spare shots. I'm not so good at throwing a straight or a backup ball. Not being a high rev guy my Mix still hooks a bit. It will likely not hook as much as your Taboo plastic ball. I like the Mix as it give me a little hold on those 10-pins so it doesn't drop into the channel. Good luck!

JasonNJ
11-14-2015, 11:09 AM
I would suggest getting a spare ball too, either plastic or some pearl urethane ball like the Storm Mix much easier to throw those balls straight.

I have the Mix and it does have some hook but like djp1080 said I like the hold it gives too so if I miss a little right it has a chance of holding and not dropping into the gutter.

Tony
11-14-2015, 02:31 PM
I use a wrist brace and have a plastic ball but have found my greatest accuracy is using a ball with a small amount of hook and keeping the brace on, I think in my case it's years of throwing my strike ball at the 10 pins and not having practiced enough with the plastic ball to change my muscle memory.

Timmyb
11-14-2015, 08:24 PM
I use a wrist brace and have a plastic ball but have found my greatest accuracy is using a ball with a small amount of hook and keeping the brace on, I think in my case it's years of throwing my strike ball at the 10 pins and not having practiced enough with the plastic ball to change my muscle memory.

That's what I'm doing with redrilling the Gemstar (look it up) I used to throw back when the "hookingest" thing going was the original LT48. It has a weight block, but with the conditions I'm on Tuesday nights, I doubt it will move much. Would still like to figure out the straight ball someday......

Tony
11-15-2015, 10:49 AM
That's what I'm doing with redrilling the Gemstar (look it up) I used to throw back when the "hookingest" thing going was the original LT48. It has a weight block, but with the conditions I'm on Tuesday nights, I doubt it will move much. Would still like to figure out the straight ball someday......

I remember seeing those balls around, a snazzy spare ball ! lol
I am using a DV8 outcast right now but need to take a couple practice sessions and just throw the DV8 black spare ball. The problem seems to be when I move way out to the left and throw back at the 10 I have to really have an extended follow through to push the ball out right of the center arrow. I may try just moving 8 boards to 10 boards left and throwing with less angle, I believe that will be a better shot for me.

billf
11-15-2015, 01:11 PM
Only if you'd like to hear me cry like a baby. 40 years of bowling and 33 years a machinist, and my wrists are cooked. I should get them fixed, but blah blah blah. Doesn't hurt with the brace. Red hot pokers without.

I wear a sleeve under the brace, so by the time I take the brace off to shoot a spare, I've put everyone else behind. Plus, I kind of don't like to take it off once I've put it on and have it cinched up just the way I like it. I've seen plenty of guys that have no issues with throwing a straight ball with a brace on, so I figured I was the one doing something wrong.

Braces usually increase axis rotation. This obviusly increases the chance of any ball hooking away from what it is thrown at. It can be done but is a little harder to do.

Blomer
11-15-2015, 02:33 PM
This morning in league, my teammate in the first game shot at 6 10 pins only hitting two! Lol. It was crazy, pocket hits and leaving the 10. Obviously he didn't make the adjustment.

I throw across the lane using my regular release with a spare ball. I tend to reach a bit at the 10.

Jessiewoodard57
11-17-2015, 12:56 PM
I would suggest getting a spare ball too, either plastic or some pearl urethane ball like the Storm Mix much easier to throw those balls straight.

I have the Mix and it does have some hook but like djp1080 said I like the hold it gives too so if I miss a little right it has a chance of holding and not dropping into the gutter.

I actually am getting the mix but going to keep the hammer Taboo anyway. I shot 4 games of lowball last night and manager to throw it straight and hit about 80% of my 10 pins.