PDA

View Full Version : Follow through and slow-mo video

foreverincamo
11-14-2015, 10:33 PM
Ever watch bowlers releases while in slo-motion video replay? I've noticed the high rev players have a pronounced follow through across their body, then they pull their arm back to their throwing side. I've been mulling around the idea of working on a secondary release to get more revs when my normal stroker release isn't cutting it. Anyone out there have any advice on such a release?

fokai73
11-15-2015, 02:53 AM
as a classic type bowler, I gave up on trying to "rev it up". Instead I worked on, still working on improving what I already have.

Improving Accuracy is really important for mortals with average to low rev rate. Also important, is the ability to roll different axis rotation and axis tilt. Likewise, also important is speed control. Not to mention, learning to read ball motion and pin action. See where I'm getting at? There's so many important things to develop to get better. In fact, there are many more things to develop that I have not mentioned, but trying to get more revs is not at the top of my list. Not for me anyway.

Many bowlers want to learn to Rev it up more, yet they deviate from these other important things I mentioned. RevRate doesn't really matter if a bowlers can improve in the important things. Looks at Guys on tour like ND and WRW don't have Barnes or rashes revrate, yet ND and WRW are proof you don't need max revs to win. Look at the women side, CDB has <300 revs and look how many titles she has too.

By no means am I stopping you. It's just my thoughts about rev rates. I wish I could have 400 revs, but I was honest with myself one day and redirected my training to more important things, and gaining more revs wasn't one.

RobLV1
11-15-2015, 04:49 AM
Ever watch bowlers releases while in slo-motion video replay? I've noticed the high rev players have a pronounced follow through across their body, then they pull their arm back to their throwing side. I've been mulling around the idea of working on a secondary release to get more revs when my normal stroker release isn't cutting it. Anyone out there have any advice on such a release?

I wrote an article for BTM a few months ago entitled, "Working The Inside of the Ball." As well as a description of how to do it, I also examined the question of who should do it. This is NOT something that you want to do to develop a "secondary release." It takes a whole lot of work and commitment and it requires changes not only to your release, but to the timing, footwork, and armswing that lead up to the release. .

billf
11-15-2015, 01:06 PM
Improving Accuracy is really important for mortals with average to low rev rate. Also important, is the ability to roll different axis rotation and axis tilt. Likewise, also important is speed control. Not to mention, learning to read ball motion and pin action. See where I'm getting at? There's so many important things to develop to get better. In fact, there are many more things to develop that I have not mentioned, but trying to get more revs is not at the top of my list. Not for me anyway.

Many bowlers want to learn to Rev it up more, yet they deviate from these other important things I mentioned. RevRate doesn't really matter if a bowlers can improve in the important things. Looks at Guys on tour like ND and WRW don't have Barnes or rashes revrate, yet ND and WRW are proof you don't need max revs to win. Look at the women side, CDB has <300 revs and look how many titles she has too.

I'm a fairly high rev bowler. I've actually worked on cutting down on my rev rate. While I agree that there are other factors more important than increasing rev rate, like anything but, naming bowlers who haven't been consistent winners in ages doesn't help the point. Maybe that's because the higher rev players have been dominating men's and women's tours the past few years.

foreverincamo
11-15-2015, 10:04 PM
I don't know what my rev rate is, but I'm sure it's pretty low. I'm doing pretty well in league as a stroker, and I bowl in a tough house. There were 3 honor scores last year, all 300's, and no one has broken 800 since the 2012-2013 season. I'm averaging 208.
The secondary release is more for tournaments, sweepers, etc., just to have another weapon. That is, if I can do it. I'm just going to try it and see what I do with it. I'll video myself throwing both ways and calculate the difference in rev rate, if any.

foreverincamo
11-16-2015, 10:42 PM
Well, I tried a bit to change my follow through, and even though it did increase my revs, it aggravates my elbow a bit too much. Back to the drawing board.

billf
11-19-2015, 06:01 PM
May I suggest trying different axis rotations rather than rev rate? Should be less strain on the body and still allow you to play more of the lane.

foreverincamo
11-20-2015, 05:37 PM
I'll get with my coach about it when she returns from the World Championships in Vegas. I'm just lost right now yet I'm averaging 13 pins better than last year. I shot 636 last night yet it felt awful.