PDA

View Full Version : Spare shooting tips

PAV1983
11-15-2015, 09:25 PM
Hello all,

I am beginning to realize that I am making progress after all. However, I cannot make spares to save my life. Although I can find the pocket, I cannot finish off the frame. So many missed spares is having an extremely negative impact on my game. If I could hit the spares, I would be up in the 150's in 160's, average wise, by now. What advice can you provide when it comes to shooting spares?

Any help is always appreciated.

Phill

vdubtx
11-16-2015, 11:32 AM
My advice is to get some practice and start with a spare shooting system. For instance, the 3-6-9 spare shooting system. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VUCLtS_SrI

Another important part of this is making sure you are hitting a target consistently.

Lastly, I advise to go straight at spares on your right side with a plastic ball(if a righty, left side if a lefty) and hook at the opposite side if playing on a house shot. If you are ever playing on a Sport condition, I advise to use a spare ball for all leaves.

Cannot emphasize enough about using a spare ball. Too many times when I was starting to get better and the ball hooking at last second and leaving a 6 pin or 10 pin standing.

Making your spares is the easiest way to increase your average.

fokai73
11-16-2015, 01:10 PM
a spare ball is important. I can use any of my strike ball for spares rolling end over end, but I rather not risk a release error and the ball hooks on me. With a spare ball it wouldn't hook that much or not at all.

Finding a spare system that works for you is important. I use the "4th arrow" system. And when I practice, I make a fun game out of it. I'd play against a friend playing low ball. we try to hit the corner pins only, the 10 and 7 pin. The goal is 2 points per frame.

Blacksox1
11-16-2015, 07:32 PM
My advice is to get some practice and start with a spare shooting system. For instance, the 3-6-9 spare shooting system. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VUCLtS_SrI

Another important part of this is making sure you are hitting a target consistently.

Lastly, I advise to go straight at spares on your right side with a plastic ball(if a righty, left side if a lefty) and hook at the opposite side if playing on a house shot. If you are ever playing on a Sport condition, I advise to use a spare ball for all leaves.

Cannot emphasize enough about using a spare ball. Too many times when I was starting to get better and the ball hooking at last second and leaving a 6 pin or 10 pin standing.

Everyone should do all parts of this post. Best of all, you got it for free for being a loyal member of bowlingboards.com :)

mc_runner
11-16-2015, 10:17 PM
Practice, practice, practice! It may not be as fun but the more reps you can put in and the more comfortable you get with all leaves - right side, left side, etc... and more comfortable with where to stand and throw to hit them - the higher your average will be. Strikes for show, spares for dough :cool:

manke
11-17-2015, 10:37 AM
I was taught pick up your spares the strikes will come. Practice shooting spares with either a straight ball or your strike ball, just be consistent.

Jessiewoodard57
11-17-2015, 11:27 AM
Sunday at league I missed a lot of single pin spares especially the 10 and 7. Monday nights is our practice night so I decided to play 4 games of low ball and managed to throw my hammer spare ball straight. I picked up abut 80% of my 10 pins so I cannot wait till tonight to put the practice to work for me. I use to move far left to hook my strike ball at the 10 pin only to have it move at the last moment. I noticed that most of the pros use plastic or urethane and bowl straight at it.

PAV1983
11-17-2015, 07:16 PM

What do you think about me using a house ball for those corner spares (10 pin)?

RobLV1
11-17-2015, 08:12 PM
What do you think about me using a house ball for those corner spares (10 pin)?

Not a good idea! Your spare ball should be drilled to fit your hand just like your strike ball.

Amyers
11-17-2015, 10:26 PM
Not a good idea! Your spare ball should be drilled to fit your hand just like your strike ball.

Rob nailed it. Use plastic ball, practice, And make sure your using angles correctly. Watch for improvement

vdubtx
11-17-2015, 11:13 PM

Rob nailed it. Use plastic ball, practice, And make sure your using angles correctly. Watch for improvement

Exactly. Spare ball should feel no different than any other ball in your arsenal.