PDA

View Full Version : Mike Fagan

fokai73
11-24-2015, 12:59 AM
Mike Fagan is pursuing his masters in finance and I think that's an awesome thing to do. It's sad not to see much of him on tour, but I'm for education that leads to a real careers and stable income. Very smart move....

Timmyb
11-24-2015, 08:37 AM
One of the more unique releases in the sport.

NewToBowling
11-24-2015, 09:35 AM
Yes, he gets a lot of juice out of that relaxed swing

Amyers
11-24-2015, 09:46 AM
I'm happy for him but it is sad to see that a very talented PBA pro can't make enough of a living on tour to make it worth while.

NewToBowling
11-24-2015, 10:21 AM
Not surprising with the paltry payouts. Even with sponsors paying for some travel and entry fees it's very hard to make a living as a PBA pro

scottymoney
11-24-2015, 10:45 AM
He said he will be back for the PBA League. I am sure he isn't done bowling but probably decided it was time to figure out a way to make money during his downtime form the Tour. Guessing it is more of a "after bowling/retirement" move.

Scott Norton is a lawyer when he isn't bowling and many of the other tour guys have other jobs too. It does suck that they can not make a living at it, but that is what happens when you don't have the sponsorship dollars and audience like you used to.

vdubtx
11-24-2015, 11:41 AM
He will probably make more bowling local tournaments in the DFW area. Having bowled a couple competitive tournaments here in the last month, I can see how a lot of the better players make a living off bowling not just the PBA tour.

Between tournament prize funds and calcutta's some of the top players are making a lot each weekend. Calcutta prize funds are sometimes higher than the tourney prize fund.

Aslan
11-24-2015, 03:43 PM
Between tournament prize funds and calcutta's some of the top players are making a lot each weekend. Calcutta prize funds are sometimes higher than the tourney prize fund.
Please define "Calcutta prize funds".

There are some amateur tournaments, especially in the SoCal area and Vegas area...I'm sure in New York and Texas as well...and the payouts are almost as good as PBA events. But I've found there's a downside:
1) These type of tournaments/leagues will often time limit PBA pro participation.
2) Many of these tournaments are handicap and at least in my experience with the abta (one of the bigger tournament associations)...accounting practices are HIGHLY questionable. Around here...you see the same people winning week in and week out...yet somehow each year they enter with a 153 average...despite averaging well over 185 every single tournament game.

...but it is sad to see that a very talented PBA pro can't make enough of a living on tour to make it worth while.

...it's very hard to make a living as a PBA pro

It does suck that they can not make a living at it, but that is what happens when you don't have the sponsorship dollars and audience like you used to.

Yup...sad to see pros in any sport struggle. I guess it just seems like if you're at that top level in the World...there should be a payout waiting. And with bowling...current technology and everything that's wrong with the sport...it just seems like it's more of a hobby now than a sport.

vdubtx
11-24-2015, 05:17 PM
Please define "Calcutta prize funds".

Essentially an auction for which team one thinks will win. Payout is tiered so a portion of cashers receive calcutta money in addition to tournament prize fund.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcutta_auction

Some teams "buy" themselves for $1500-$2000 like it's nothing.

billf
11-26-2015, 08:53 PM
The bowling season is short and requires very little travel anymore. Why not get a job making good money? If they made millions people would complain about that too