PDA

View Full Version : Participated in my first 9 tap tournament.

Blomer
12-13-2015, 08:32 PM
I came to my center to drop off a few balls that I used today and will need tomorrow. They had a 9 tap tournament going on and the next session was starting in about 15 minutes, so I decide des t partake. I quickly realized it wasn't the THS, and moved to more a down and in shot. Did alright, no money but had fun. Very interesting to do. Anyone done these before?

classygranny
12-13-2015, 09:16 PM
I go to Vegas every July for a big 9-pin tap senior tournament. A bunch of us from my Friday league get together and go. It's a doubles tournament with one session as singles. It goes for three days. Lots of bowling but we have a great time. Some games I've been known to barely get average, even with the added 9-pin tap bonus.

epiepenburg
12-13-2015, 09:42 PM
They are pretty popular here in WI. Two of my leagues do it the last night of league when the top two teams are bowling each other. Those nights they usually put down a sport pattern as well.

larry mc
12-13-2015, 10:39 PM
every time i go in 1 i always leave 2 pin leaves . when during regular tourneys i leave 1 pin lol

AlexNC
12-14-2015, 08:33 AM
My house has them frequently, and also after each league meeting at the beginning of the season. They are usually pretty fun and inexpensive so I do them when I have a chance.

BrianG
12-14-2015, 10:09 AM
No tap tournaments are the main type of tournament around me. All of the ones I have entered are handicapped which kind of sucks for me but it does give more bowlers the chance to bowl competitively and have a legitimate chance to win which is always good for bowling.

scottymoney
12-14-2015, 12:02 PM
My center has 1 every month now. They are fun and it is doubles. Not uncommon to see guys tossing 300's every game. The last one a guy tossed 1500 for 5 games. Perfect throughout and still lost because of handicap, my partner and I lost to him and his partner by 1 pin.

The thing with no taps is it fits guys who have a good amount of handicap but can get to the pocket every shot.

TonyInPortland
12-14-2015, 12:16 PM
I get emails every month for these no-tap tourneys. What is it with no-tap? Scoring is not high enough? Back in the 70s and early 80s, when I began league bowling, I never heard of no-tap. Now, with averages so much higher, what is the point?

I get it for beginners or seniors or something, but if I am paying money to enter a tournament, and I leave a 10 pin, I darn well want to shoot it. No way would I ever enter one.

NewToBowling
12-14-2015, 12:29 PM
I would enter one just for fun if they offered it here

jab5325
12-14-2015, 12:35 PM
My center just had one and I didn't enter.

For some reason, I hate no tap tournaments. I want my scores to reflect what I actually threw.

JoeInPI
12-26-2015, 11:08 PM
C'mon Tony- The point is to have fun- if you are seemingly leaving ringing 10's during league night, they're fun to go into just so you can shrug them off. I don't think people go to no-tap tourneys to say "look how high my average is now!" or at least not beyond kidding about it.

foreverincamo
12-28-2015, 11:53 PM
It's just for fun. Although I don't understand the use of handicap in a 9-pin no-tap tournament.