PDA

View Full Version : Fractured rib improved my game

CardShark613
12-16-2015, 11:30 AM
So I have a recently fractured rib. It was my last game of the season and a sweep was going to bring us up a pay grade so I didn't want to be blind. I didn't think I was going to be able to successfully bowl but I wanted to try in practice.

Whoa! It opened my eyes. Worrying so much about not hurting myself or giving myself a jolt of pain, caused me to RELAX. It forced me to have a fully pendulum arm swing, with no shoulder drop, and not muscling the ball. Just the simple act of relaxing, and especially not muscling the ball, changed my ball reaction in such a positive way that I was just amazed.

While I don't suggest everybody bowl with rib injuries, it really helped me solidify my form and release. But maybe this story can help reiterate how important it is to be relaxed and how a nice smooth release always is more effective than muscling the hook.

I swear my ball movement almost doubled

J Anderson
12-16-2015, 12:21 PM
I take it that your doctor didn't explicitly say you shouldn't bowl and you didn't ask if you could;)

I don't think there is any actual research or statistics on bowling while injured or sick, (I'm sure we have a couple people here who could make some up for us), but most bowlers have either witnessed or heard about people bowling well over their average when injured or ill.
I haven't heard or seen very many who actually learned from the experience were able to repeat the performance when healthy.

Tony
12-16-2015, 03:50 PM
I have had the exact same experience several times when injured, unfortunately when healthy and feeling good, i can't duplicate the results !

CardShark613
12-16-2015, 07:36 PM
Yea I've been wondering how well I'd be able to duplicate the performance when healthy, but what it definitely did do was draw my attention. At least if nothing else, it'll keep me thinking about being relaxed and keep my thoughts and practice on track to not muscle it. Nice easy smooth 1/4 turn release. It was just a huge eye opener that I've been doing it wrong lately!

ChuckR
12-17-2015, 11:21 AM
At 73, I developed a mild case of Sciatica in my left hip. When I start bowling I notice it and like you think about it and less on the game. It loosens up and the delivery has been staying much better. Like you, DON'T have Sciatica to get better swing. It turns out, though I won't tell her, that her comment to relax when I bowl works pretty well. Overthinking during leagues gives me negative results.