PDA

View Full Version : Ball dropping off pin deck location

bowl1820
12-17-2015, 01:20 PM
Okay after watching the video in the thread " Interesting video about ball motion and balling up and down ".

I thought I'd do my own video and check it out, so this last Tuesday I videoed during league to see what happened.
(I videoed just the shots on the right lane because it was the only place I could set up.).

I videoed myself and also got video of Drew (240 ave) the PSO here trying out the new Melee Hook he drilled up before league.

This is a short video and shows a example of where the ball drops off for a strike and a 10, 4 and 9 pin leave.

I was using the Hammer Bad A$$ and Drew was using a Melee Hook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn5z-NV3ocY

shadd
12-17-2015, 02:24 PM
So Dang interesting (Just like the other video referenced), thanks for posting 1820! When looking at the different shots (yours, couldn't tell much from the angle/zoom of Drew's ball) it looked like the 10-pin leave was the best "pocket shot"...even the strike looked like it got more head pin and less pocket. The more I get on here, the more I think I need a 3rd strike ball and a spare ball if I really want to improve. I have a feeling that good old paralysis by analysis is going to kick in while figuring out which ball I want/need for my 3rd, thanks a lot guys haha.

vdubtx
12-17-2015, 02:26 PM
Thanks for posting your own video of this. Very good information.

JasonNJ
12-17-2015, 02:34 PM
Awesome thanks for sharing. It helpful to see another video validate the one I posted.

Tony
12-17-2015, 06:27 PM
Very nice to see actual video examples of the ball path.

fortheloveofbowling
12-18-2015, 01:05 AM
It is also important to understand that you can strike in all these scenarios as well. Entry angle and ball energy management at the pocket can enlarge the pocket to carry on high or half pocket hits as well as flush shots. Watching the ball as it exits the deck on strikes is just as important for making adjustmets. I had a discussion with a gentleman that had the AZ series record of 873 for several years and he said he made 5-6 adjustments on strikes during huge strings.

RobLV1
12-18-2015, 08:43 AM
It is also important to understand that you can strike in all these scenarios as well. Entry angle and ball energy management at the pocket can enlarge the pocket to carry on high or half pocket hits as well as flush shots. Watching the ball as it exits the deck on strikes is just as important for making adjustmets. I had a discussion with a gentleman that had the AZ series record of 873 for several years and he said he made 5-6 adjustments on strikes during huge strings.

Good point! The idea of watching the ball exit the pin deck is to allow you to make adjustments BEFORE you leave something to clean up. We've all seen people string together a bunch of light hits, but in terms of giving yourself the best chance to strike, it doesn't get any better than the ball exiting on 20. Thanks for the share, Al!