PDA

View Full Version : The randomly changing lane(s) of courtesy

Tony
12-19-2015, 01:15 PM
I have bowled for years in a league where 1 lane is the standard although a select group of guys will wait for 2lanes, that has been no big problem as we generally will keep moving along and they can stand for an extra couple of minutes and wait.
I started bowling in another league and was told by one team and it seemed to hold true over the past 6 weeks that 2 lanes was the standard in the league. Last week as I paused waiting for a guy 2 lanes over one of the guys on the other team urged me to go a couple of times. When I asked about it, they insisted one lane was the league rule.
What is generally expected in your leagues ?

SAbowler
12-19-2015, 01:33 PM
One lane courtesy in the leagues I am in. IMO, someone asking for two lanes is just being a prima donna. LOL

J Anderson
12-19-2015, 02:41 PM
I have bowled for years in a league where 1 lane is the standard although a select group of guys will wait for 2lanes, that has been no big problem as we generally will keep moving along and they can stand for an extra couple of minutes and wait.
I started bowling in another league and was told by one team and it seemed to hold true over the past 6 weeks that 2 lanes was the standard in the league. Last week as I paused waiting for a guy 2 lanes over one of the guys on the other team urged me to go a couple of times. When I asked about it, they insisted one lane was the league rule.
What is generally expected in your leagues ?

First of all, the standard USBC rule is one lane courtesy, anything else, like two lane or PBA style courtesy, must be written into the league rules and at the very least all team captains should have a written copy of the league rules.

All three leagues that I am a member of use one lane courtesy. In one of them there was even big to do resulting in a number of e-mails back and forth with USBC over how farback one had to be from the approach while awaiting ones turn. The sport league explicitly states one lane, yet 25% insist on giving two lanes.

JasonNJ
12-19-2015, 02:49 PM
The leagues in my center do 2 lane courtesy. Took me a while to get used to.

bowl1820
12-19-2015, 03:11 PM
Technically there is no USBC lane courtesy "Rule" in the rule book, It's just in the "Etiquette" part at the back of the book after the index.

So if a league or tournament doesn't actually have it wrote into a "rule" in the rules. Theoretically you would not have give any lane courtesy.

But the standard practice in most all leagues & tournaments is one lane courtesy . But mainly you just have to see what the standard practice is for your house or league and go with that be it one lane or two lane courtesy.

RobLV1
12-19-2015, 04:27 PM
Most of the senior leagues here follow a two lane courtesy. It drives me nuts, particularly when there are so many prima donnas who will slam their balls down on the return if someone steps up too soon. Early on, I used to purposely go to practice on Saturday afternoons next to families, kids, and bumpers. A few weeks of that and the idea of needing two lanes on either side becomes totally absurd.

dnhoffman
12-19-2015, 04:33 PM
I'm all about two-lane courtesy... I don't like people stepping into my peripheral when I'm focusing on a point target, and give the same respect to everyone else.

Practicing next to kids is one thing, and I see your point Rob, and I also think that it's ok to wait an extra 5 seconds to give your fellow league bowlers some respect given that it's a more committed situation.

That being said - if someone walks up on me two-lanes over, I just step off and smile. Sometimes they realize I stepped off and act all flustered like "oh i'm sorry do you want to go?" and I'll just say "no it's fine, go ahead :) ) - people can call me a prima donna all they like, but the peripheral vision messes with my approach and I'm happy to wait until that person is done.

I don't slam balls down on the rack, and if someone slammed a ball down as a result of something like that, especially if they were on my team, I'd tell them to calm the **** down...

fortheloveofbowling
12-19-2015, 06:36 PM
I'm all about two-lane courtesy... I don't like people stepping into my peripheral when I'm focusing on a point target, and give the same respect to everyone else.

Practicing next to kids is one thing, and I see your point Rob, and I also think that it's ok to wait an extra 5 seconds to give your fellow league bowlers some respect given that it's a more committed situation.

That being said - if someone walks up on me two-lanes over, I just step off and smile. Sometimes they realize I stepped off and act all flustered like "oh i'm sorry do you want to go?" and I'll just say "no it's fine, go ahead :) ) - people can call me a prima donna all they like, but the peripheral vision messes with my approach and I'm happy to wait until that person is done.

I don't slam balls down on the rack, and if someone slammed a ball down as a result of something like that, especially if they were on my team, I'd tell them to calm the **** down...

All good points. Personally in a league situation i can deal with 1 lane but competition above that it is always 2 lane or pba courtesy. Any better leagues i have bowled over the years will have some doing 1 and 2 lane courtesy. It just takes a little observing to find out what courtesy others around you want.

foreverincamo
12-20-2015, 08:30 PM
I agree with Robb. I swear one lane is enough, but I just bowled against a team that gave so much courtesy that we were the last ones done by 20 minutes. Glad we beat them

Tony
12-21-2015, 12:08 AM
Trying to determine what the expected courtesy was in this league was my original question, based on the conversation and the observation during play, it appears quite a few players are expecting 2 lanes and others are fine with 1 lane, I guess it will just be something to play by whatever the players on adjacent lanes are expecting.
I'm not exactly sure it's as easy as just observing, in some instances yes it's pretty easy to tell what a guy is looking for but in other circumstances my pausing and looking over 2 lanes sometimes gives the other guy the impression that I am looking for 2 lanes of courtesy.

RobLV1
12-21-2015, 09:10 AM
Several years ago I was the Vice President of a high average senior doubles league. It just so happens that the President of the league was scheduled for surgery on the first day of bowling, so he asked me to run the meeting. As we were going over the league rules, I decided to ask if the league bowlers wanted to add a rule on lane courtesy. They did. Of everyone in the room, only two bowlers wanted two-lane courtesy. The overwhelming majority voted for a one-lane courtesy. Despite the vote, several weeks later, I stepped up on the approach only to have one of the well-known prima donnas step back and slam his ball down on the ball return. I approached him several minutes later and asked if he was aware that the league had voted to use a single lane courtesy at the league meeting. Still angry, he replied that he had not attended the meeting (what a surprise!), but it didn't matter because he still expected a two-lane courtesy. This is one of the main reasons that despite my age, I choose to bowl evening leagues with bowlers of all ages.

scottymoney
12-21-2015, 10:07 AM
The problem isn't really 1 or 2 lane courtesy it is the issue of knowing when it is your turn. Like letting those who are cleaning up a spare to go and finish their turn. Surprisingly they have not created a stoplight system for each lane to determine when it is ok to go. lol

TVan
12-21-2015, 04:11 PM
One lane is typically fine but I do like to give myself two lanes. Mainly because I have a fairly slow approach and seeing some runner go flying past is distracting. I also had words with a guy older than me who is only bowling to see how fast he can finish. I was up and he waited. I let my shot go, watched it hit the pins and turned to see him just before he hit me while on his approach. I am 32 and he is probably 50. He isn't the biggest guy and I am not the smallest. He might have taken the brunt of the collision. I said "whoa" as I sidestepped him. He turned and said "what?" I calmly said "in a hurry, you got a hot date later?" He said "no I just thought you would stay on your lane. ". Now I was playing deep and on the left land and he plays the outside and was in the right lane. I never crossed but he should have waited a second or two. It wasn't like I stood there for any extended time. I quickly defended myself saying "I was fine you need to slow the f*** down and relax". This guy and his team always complain about the conditions and whine about pace. It's like they a miserable to be there. The owners out out a great service and a great league. These guys run out other teams with their attitude and I had finally had enough when his impatience and bad attitude almost caused a collision. I went on to beat him senseless (in score, in a 40 point system I was heads up against him). This was a few months ago and it just so happens I bowl him next week and we are in first ahead of them by only a few points. Should be fun.

NewToBowling
12-21-2015, 04:19 PM
Yeah, one of my major pet peeves is people going before the bowlers next to them have even finished their toss. It's slightly annoying after you post your shot and slowly walking back and the bowler next to you is already 3 steps into his/her approach

TVan
12-21-2015, 04:28 PM
This guy darn near met me at the foul line. I had only turned around and felt like I need to jump out of the way. He was one step from his release. He's a real piece of work. Can't wait to beat him senseless tomorrow.

got_a_300
12-21-2015, 08:32 PM
Can't wait to beat him senseless tomorrow.

I hope you beat him like a drum and make him like it. LOL!!!!

bowl1820
12-21-2015, 08:49 PM
Okay, I dug the list out. This came from the old bowling books.

Lane Etiquette

Unless noted otherwise in your league or tournament rules.

-Observe one lane courtesy. (Note: Some leagues and tournaments require two lane courtesy)

-The bowler on the right should bowl first, if both reach the approach at the same time.

-The Bowler on the righthand lane can waive the right of way to the person bowling on the left lane if they so choose.

-A bowler shooting a spare has the right of way over a bowler with a full rack.

-Make sure to stay off the approach until the bowler has completed their shot.

-Don't pick up your ball from the ball return rack while another bowler is preparing to bowl and is in their starting position.

-Don't stand next to the ball return while waiting for your second ball.

-Refrain from creating noises or movements that may be spotted out of the corner of their eye.

-If another bowler constantly causes distractions while you are preparing to bowl, let them have the right of way. This way you can stay in control of your game and remain relaxed to take your shot.

billf
12-26-2015, 08:33 AM
This guy darn near met me at the foul line. I had only turned around and felt like I need to jump out of the way. He was one step from his release. He's a real piece of work. Can't wait to beat him senseless tomorrow.

I know I can be an a#$ but he would hate me. I would and have purposely started lofting the gutter early to annoy these types. I look over when getting on the approach and say "excuse me while I borrow your approach". Even if my slide foot is only at the gutter's edge my balance foot will be across the 20 board.

swingset
01-14-2016, 09:41 PM
I'd find a new league if anyone insisted on 2-lane. That's just silly.

Lefty651
01-15-2016, 01:21 AM
I don't have the awareness to notice 2 lanes so luckily my league is only a 1 lane courtesy

fordman1
01-15-2016, 03:42 PM
1820 the only thing your list didn't mention is having to wait and wait for slow bowlers. If you have a couple on both pairs next to you it is exasperating. Every bowler should go with what the league is used to bowlers doing. It could be one lane or it could be two lanes. Just go with the norm.

When I get up at the same time as a "slow" bowler I tell the to go ahead and get set I will be done before they figure out exactly which half board they want to use.

Tony
01-15-2016, 11:06 PM
Seems like on both of the leagues I'm in have some guys who demand 2 lanes and get upset when someone steps up two lanes over. It's a little inconsistent and although I've mostly determined what guys are expecting it can be a little bit of a challenge to give them there space and not be there for 1/2 the day on the am 4 game league. Still what strikes me funny is some teams insist we have 1 lane and some others insist it's 2 lanes, I joined the AM league after a month into the season so I don't know what the rule is or if it's specified in the league paperwork.