PDA

View Full Version : What to do about the guy that stands there forever on the approach.

Tony
12-19-2015, 01:25 PM
I assume every league has a few guys that get up on the approach and you'd swear they fell asleep they stand there for so long. I bowled next to a guy last week who stood there for what seemed like a minute but was actually about 25 seconds, and half the time he would break and step back and then do it all over again.
My strategy was just to avoid him, if he was up to bowl I would just stay in my seat until he had thrown the ball.
Does this bug you and what works for you?

Timmyb
12-19-2015, 02:04 PM
We have a number of them in my league. I count to 15. If they haven't moved by then, fair game. Bowling courtesy also extends to not taking too much time.

J Anderson
12-19-2015, 02:19 PM
These guys don't bother me in the least. In fact I like either having one on my pair or next to it in singles competitions since many of the higher average bowlers will become so irritated that it begins to affect their performance.

Your league could make a rule about this but it's doubtful that the rule would be evenly andeffectively enforced.

Most of the 'trance' bowlers are their own worst enemies. Their muscles tense up leading to poor swing mechanics, and they tend to overthink the shot leading to second guessing themselves and losing confidence.

fokai73
12-19-2015, 03:05 PM
I bowl with a few at leagues and I know it bugs other ppl when they freeze at approach. Plus two lane courtesy, it makes for a long night.
I do agree, standing there for so long can cause some problems before they take the first step.

fordman1
12-19-2015, 04:01 PM
I always give 2 lane courtesy. Except when the statues bowl next to me. Then I go to the USBC rule one lane courtesy. After a while they will tell me to go ahead and they wait. 90% of one pin spares I don't even set my feet just walk up and throw the ball. The 10% is the "10PIN" I don't take long just have to set my feet in the right area.

dnhoffman
12-19-2015, 04:25 PM
I give two lane courtesy - with the caveat that when lane 2 starts their approach, i'll step up - when it's the lane next to me I'll wait until they throw.

Honestly - I'm one of those people who is absolutely annoyed at people who don't give two lane courtesy because it goes right into your peripheral vision and is just kind of an inconsiderate jerk move.

How to deal with those people that take forever? Well, I prefer to make jokes about it, or just accept it. I'll take someone who statues for 20 seconds over someone who walks up on me two lanes over any day of the week.

Timmyb
12-19-2015, 07:31 PM
I give two lane courtesy - with the caveat that when lane 2 starts their approach, i'll step up - when it's the lane next to me I'll wait until they throw.

Honestly - I'm one of those people who is absolutely annoyed at people who don't give two lane courtesy because it goes right into your peripheral vision and is just kind of an inconsiderate jerk move.

How to deal with those people that take forever? Well, I prefer to make jokes about it, or just accept it. I'll take someone who statues for 20 seconds over someone who walks up on me two lanes over any day of the week.

This whole "two lane" thing is something fairly new. Standard growing up was one lane. I'll bow to the two lane thing if the guy starts all the way back, because I don't. Past that, I kind of find it a bit annoying, and I think it slows down the game as well. I set the first foot, the second, smash my thumb in the hole, and go. If there's 5 seconds, I'd be shocked. But you should clarify--Do you mean two full lanes between you and him? Because if it's one, that's a one-lane courtesy.

Blomer
12-19-2015, 07:48 PM
We have a few guys like that. I often will just sit till they are done. But, if I can beat them to the lane to go, I will. We have a could of two lane bowlers also, they usually let others go and wait.

AlexNC
12-20-2015, 12:03 AM
We have a particular team in our league with a few guys that do it. In addition to the delay on the approach, they often don't realize when they are up. It felt like it took an additional hour bowling them.

Tony
12-20-2015, 01:48 AM
This whole "two lane" thing is something fairly new. Standard growing up was one lane. I'll bow to the two lane thing if the guy starts all the way back, because I don't. Past that, I kind of find it a bit annoying, and I think it slows down the game as well. I set the first foot, the second, smash my thumb in the hole, and go. If there's 5 seconds, I'd be shocked. But you should clarify--Do you mean two full lanes between you and him? Because if it's one, that's a one-lane courtesy.

To clarify the original question lets say you are bowling on the 7/8 pair and up to bowl on lane 8.

One lane -- you would bowl when lane 7 X 9 are clear

Two lane -- you would bowl when lanes 6,7, X 9,10 are clear

One pair --- you would bowl when lanes 5,6,7, X 9,10 are clear ( not part of the original question )

Timmyb
12-20-2015, 09:57 AM
To clarify the original question lets say you are bowling on the 7/8 pair and up to bowl on lane 8.

One lane -- you would bowl when lane 7 X 9 are clear

Two lane -- you would bowl when lanes 6,7, X 9,10 are clear

One pair --- you would bowl when lanes 5,6,7, X 9,10 are clear ( not part of the original question )

That's what I thought. My personal opinion is two lanes is too much. This is a fairly recent thing. The standard was always one. I think it's part of the reason we finish up at nearly 10pm now, and not 9:30. Too much standing around pointing at each other, and not enough bowling.

Jaescrub
12-20-2015, 10:47 AM
That's what I thought. My personal opinion is two lanes is too much. This is a fairly recent thing. The standard was always one. I think it's part of the reason we finish up at nearly 10pm now, and not 9:30. Too much standing around pointing at each other, and not enough bowling.

Two lanes is too much. I know some leagues use this ours however use the one lane rule. I feel if you need two lanes then your not mentally prepared for your shot.

fordman1
12-20-2015, 11:15 AM
It has been 2 lanes around here Metro Det. for as long as I can remember. It is the amount of lanes you have to wait that extends bowling it is not being ready when it is your turn. There are so many side pots now that it is hard to be ready when it is your turn. Say you are in 5 brackets and there are 15 you have to find your name. We have a Texas hold em game that has 10 boards each week. You have to post your scores. There is a sign in sheet for King of the hill, and H\C king. High scratch and High H\C game. Lucky digit and Lucky strike cause people to stop and listen for their number. Very few leagues have people standing at the end of the approach when they are on deck.

Tony
12-20-2015, 12:28 PM
I personally don't need 2 lanes and it does slow the game down, plus annoy some players from both sides from what I see in my local area. The worst are some of the guys that need 2 lanes, stand up on the approach for 20 seconds before throwing the ball, plus aren't ready to go up and bowl when their turn comes up.

I can see how players that stand at the very back of the approach are more prone to being disturbed by players 2 lanes over. It's really a matter of focus, instead of waiting for 2 lanes of clearance those players would benefit from learning to block out the distraction and focus down the lane.

In many sports the top players block out the distractions and often aren't even aware of what's happening around them.

The main thing I try to do is avoid the situation by watching the sequence of events and jumping up and bowling when it's my turn and I see an opening or staying back for a minute and let them clear out of the way.

The interesting times are the guys who wait for 2 lanes and get pissed when someone steps up and bowls when they thought they should be waiting for them.

Jaescrub
12-20-2015, 02:10 PM
It has been 2 lanes around here Metro Det. for as long as I can remember. It is the amount of lanes you have to wait that extends bowling it is not being ready when it is your turn. There are so many side pots now that it is hard to be ready when it is your turn. Say you are in 5 brackets and there are 15 you have to find your name. We have a Texas hold em game that has 10 boards each week. You have to post your scores. There is a sign in sheet for King of the hill, and H\C king. High scratch and High H\C game. Lucky digit and Lucky strike cause people to stop and listen for their number. Very few leagues have people standing at the end of the approach when they are on deck.
Wow I'm in that area a lot. 9 mile in warren mostly. You ever go to Bowling IQ that place is the best if you want to practice.

fordman1
12-20-2015, 02:43 PM
No Jaescrub never been but have heard a lot of good things about it. I bowl mostly now at Ford. Used to bowl at Taylor, Oxford and every place down river.

dnhoffman
12-20-2015, 02:53 PM
Maybe it's because I start at the back of the approach

Jaescrub
12-20-2015, 06:04 PM
No Jaescrub never been but have heard a lot of good things about it. I bowl mostly now at Ford. Used to bowl at Taylor, Oxford and every place down river.
That's cool. The wife's family are all from Mi and live all over so I'm up there a lot. We mostly drive so we take our equipment. Bowling IQ is great 4 amf lanes and 4 Brunswick. They will lay down any Shot you want to bowl on. You can also bring your own beer it's great!

TonyInPortland
12-22-2015, 04:32 AM
I always think it's funny when someone stands there for 25 seconds, and then walks up and throws a bad shot. I always say "couldn't they have done that in 5 seconds?"

Plus I tend to bowl very quickly, which makes it even more irritating to me when someone does this. Some people bowl like they drive, very slowly and annoyingly.

mc_runner
12-22-2015, 08:16 AM
I always think it's funny when someone stands there for 25 seconds, and then walks up and throws a bad shot. I always say "couldn't they have done that in 5 seconds?"

Well, obviously they must have felt rushed. :cool:

TonyInPortland
12-22-2015, 09:01 PM

Plus I tend to bowl very quickly, which makes it even more irritating to me when someone does this. Some people bowl like they drive, very slowly and annoyingly.

I say that to myself, btw.

BrianG
12-23-2015, 09:33 AM
In my men's league there are a lot of older bowlers with bad knees and backs so they do stand up there for a while because it takes time for them to feel comfortable enough for them to start their approach. It used to bother me but I got used to it. The only time it bothers me now is when a team sees that my team is getting in a groove and they will deliberately slow down and take their time to throw us off.

jab5325
12-23-2015, 03:57 PM
There's an older guy in my Thursday night league who likes to take his time on the approach to the point it's noticeably ridiculous. His average is somewhere south of 160. He's also one of the two-lane people who groans, but never directly confronts, someone who doesn't give this courtesy. In addition, after his ball hits the pins, he'll step off the approach, grab his towel, and step right back up.....long before the ball gets back to the rack. It's a curious case and one of the many reasons it's my last year bowling in this league.

He's about the only one in all the nights I've bowled who is noticeably slow.....this seems like a pretty mild case compared to what the OP described.

As for the two-lane thing....if it's feasible, I will wait on my shot a couple seconds until someone 2 lanes over at least finishes. If not, I just go.......I try not to make people wait.

Timmyb
12-24-2015, 12:35 AM
Had a guy last night in league that was doing EVERY bit of maintenance you can imagine right at the ball return on the lane directly next to me. I waited for what seemed like about 30 seconds, and then stepped on the approach. He was not yet on the approach. When I threw my shot (which was a loud and blustery strike), I turned around and was quickly reminded that there is something called etiquette in bowling. I informed him he should look into it. That ended the conversation.

Lefty651
12-24-2015, 01:30 AM
I mean you could politely (or not) ask them to hurry up but we all know most people don't want to talk to them. Without being rude I'm not sure there's much that can be done.

TonyInPortland
12-24-2015, 11:51 AM
I am also slightly annoyed by the bowlers that stand at the foul line until the ball hits the pins. I try to get off the lane as soon as possible, in order to speed up play.

mc_runner
12-24-2015, 01:25 PM
I am also slightly annoyed by the bowlers that stand at the foul line until the ball hits the pins. I try to get off the lane as soon as possible, in order to speed up play.

I do when I'm posting my shots. If I can hold the finish position until the ball hits the pins (which is probably 3 seconds?) I know that my timing is solid. This is pretty much only for strike balls, however.

fordman1
12-24-2015, 02:12 PM
We use 2 lane courtesy. Myself I wait until the person I am waiting for takes their 1st step then I get on the approach. Once they have turned around and started walking back off I go. Never made any sense to wait until they were off the lane.

RobLV1
12-24-2015, 03:04 PM

How can you watch the ball exit the pin deck if you have turned your back to exit the approach?

fokai73
12-24-2015, 11:46 PM

real bowlers post shots to read ball motion, watch the pin action, and watch where the ball lands in the back of the pin deck. You must not like watching the PBA tour......

Blacksox1
12-25-2015, 12:19 AM

That is your choice TonyInPortland. I like to see where my ball exits the pin deck to make adjustments. Good luck!:)

Tony
12-25-2015, 03:15 AM
Nearly had a scuffle on wed night, apparently one guy was standing up on the approach and the other guy 'walked up on him", I am not sure of the details. When I walked back from the lane there were several guys standing in the middle of the aisle jawing about it, the bowler who was "wronged" , his father who was there and his other team members were yelling at the guy who was on the team we were bowling against.
I heard threats about beating someones Xss and taking it outside, it was pretty much due to one really big guy who is well respected in the league and who was bowling on the next pair against the guy who felt he was wronged stood in-between the guy / his dad and teammates and the guy they were pissed at and told them all to settle down and go back and sit down at their tables, who diffused the situation.

Really is this worth all of that ? How foolish

TonyInPortland
12-25-2015, 12:45 PM
That is your choice TonyInPortland. I like to see where my ball exits the pin deck to make adjustments. Good luck!:)

You can backpedal and still watch your shot though.

TonyInPortland
12-25-2015, 12:46 PM
How can you watch the ball exit the pin deck if you have turned your back to exit the approach?

I did not say turn your back. You can see it hit the pins from the approach, you don't need to stand at the foul line. You can if you want, I just said I find it annoying.

Tony
12-25-2015, 01:32 PM
You can backpedal and still watch your shot though.

Yes, that's exactly what I do. I pause at the foul line for a second then backpedal a couple of steps seeing the ball pass all the way through the pin deck and then turn and and walk off the approach. It seems like that's the most common scenario I see, the guys that stay right at the line until the ball passes through the pin deck are the exception around my area.

I also see guys that turn immediately and don't look back, usually it's guys that know the shot is crap on a strike shot or know they got it , on a spare shot, this also only happens a small percentage of the time, in my observation.

I can definitely say since joining this site I have learned the value of, and become , much more observant of what's happening on the lane , both when I bowl and, when others bowl.

fokai73
12-26-2015, 12:37 AM
Posting is not just to watch your ball going down lane to see where the ball ends up in the pin deck (too much drive, deflection, or back 20) and watch pin action (how 6 pin moves), but posting is a sign of good balance, leverage, etc... also a time to look at your slide foot from time to time. I don't need to further explain about the slide foot, it's obvious back peddling and heading back to the settee is far more important. The whole approach takes just 8 to 15 seconds. From the time the feet sets to end posting, it doesn't take that long. With a few exceptions of course. I never seen a pro become a pro by back peddling on every shot.

But then again, there's a difference between the mentality of a house hack vs a real bowler......

Tony
12-26-2015, 01:07 AM
Posting is not just to watch your ball going down lane to see where the ball ends up in the pin deck (too much drive, deflection, or back 20) and watch pin action (how 6 pin moves), but posting is a sign of good balance, leverage, etc... also a time to look at your slide foot from time to time. I don't need to further explain about the slide foot, it's obvious back peddling and heading back to the settee is far more important. The whole approach takes just 8 to 15 seconds. From the time the feet sets to end posting, it doesn't take that long. With a few exceptions of course. I never seen a pro become a pro by back peddling on every shot.

But then again, there's a difference between the mentality of a house hack vs a real bowler......

If you want to make a point that others might consider valuable, you might post a link to a Gold level coach showing
his perspective on posting a shot, or you could be sarcastic and use name calling.

You be the judge on what a real bowler would do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5r8P5KV3wU

billf
12-26-2015, 06:14 AM
In our scratch league we have Galen Cathcart, reknowned human rain delay. Wants, will wait for and expects at least two lane courtesy. Prefers four lane. Then when he finally does get on the approach there is the pre-shot set up that you can time with a calendar. This guy is no house hack. He bowled collegiately at Pikeville, bowls Regionals and every tournament he can find. Averages 230+ on THS. Great guy but annoying as hell to bowl with or against. I literally went out to smoke once when he got on the approach in the tenth frame. I smoke the whole cigarette and made it back in time to see his last shot.

How do I handle it? I just wait. I'm always behind the ball return while the guy in front of me is bowling but will just talk while there when the slow bowlers are up.

One time I did grab the microphone and announce to all twelve lanes that Galen was up so not to go near the approach. He laughed. He knows he is slow but can't fix it.

More than one lane courtesy needed shows a lack of focus on the target. When a human truly is focused the eye has tunnel vision with the brain ignoring peripheral. Post your shot. Too many positives to not do it correctly.

Timmyb
12-26-2015, 10:29 AM
I will fall back on this fact: the pros get 25 seconds from either the competitor stepping off the lane, or his own ball coming back on the return. It just shouldn't take any longer than that. And as far as jumping back immediately after you through the ball, who the hell has the balance for that? I'm 260 pounds. I don't reverse gears that fast. 2-3 seconds isn't the big deal here. It's the statues and the 2-4 laners that slow us down.

A five man league used to take 2.5 hours to finish. Now we start at 6:30. and most times we're not out till 10. That's just wrong!

fordman1
12-26-2015, 11:37 AM
Tim you are probably right about the times being an hour longer. Remember 2 things there is rarely a late league anymore. No need to rush as in the past. The other seems to be that there are more pots than ever before. At least in my leagues. They have
Mystery,
Progressive Mystery,
Lucky Strike,
Lucky Digit,
Ball Raffle,
Go to the counter and post King of the hill scores for H\C and actual,
Post scores for High Games Scratch and H\C,
Texas Hold-em, Up to 10 games,
Brackets 12 H\C,
Brackets 6 Scratch.
Could this be why league takes longer?