PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Adjustment to Stop Getting Splits

ThongPrincess
02-05-2009, 03:54 AM
Last Wednesday night I had 4-10 splits in the 9th & 10th frames of game 2 and the first frame of game 3. I had another split in the 3rd frame and decided to take my glasses off. A member of the opposing team noticed and made a comment about the no glasses and converting my spare. I told him I was getting so many splits I didn't want to see them. After I got a few strikes I added that the pins didn't know who was bowling. ;)

Tonight the guy from last week came by and asked how it was going. I told him okay and he said but the glasses were on. I said that since I was getting strikes and spares they'd stay on, he looked up and agreed. Fast forward to game 3. I open with 3 splits. He came back after a non-split 4th frame and I told him it was about time for the glasses to come off. I split in the 5th and off came the glasses. 6th was a strike and there were no splits or opens the rest of the game.

So the lesson learned is to remove the glasses once the splits start to come. I dare anyone to find that adjustment in any bowling instruction book :p

kev3inp
02-05-2009, 04:49 AM
That's funny. But if I do that I'd be lucky to see the foul line from where I start.

Iceman
02-05-2009, 04:03 PM
lol - agreed. not in any instruction book - but will fit nice into mental instruction book. If you think your bowling good or not getting splits cause your glasses on / off, or not wearing your favorite socks, or anything by all means do what your mind feels necessary. It all plays into confidence. I sometimes attempt to fight off the I forgot something method in my mind, but it's always there even if you don't say it - you can just "feel" the difference.

Confidence is the best skill anyone can have and once mastered, it could be all the skill you need.

Jord_84
02-05-2009, 08:29 PM
thats really funny....i forgot my glasses out in my car 2 weeks ago and I bowled 610.
this past week I remembered to bring them and I bowled 577.

you may be onto something!

ThongPrincess
02-05-2009, 09:09 PM
We actually were talking about, once the laughter ceased. The league is a 9 PM league that doesn't start until 9:15 - 9:30 PM. My friend who was bowling on the opposing team commented I may have become too focused.

I thought about it and she may have been on to something. The splits started at the end end of game 2 or early in game 3, about 11 - 11:15 PM. It is very possible the fatigue factor starts to play into it and to compensate I may become too focused on target. By removing the glasses, I cannot over focus since everything begins to blur. I then am more relaxed and the ball rolls better, thus better carry.

She did ask if I know what board I was hitting, I said not the exact board, but in the vicinity of 10, then added + or - 5 boards. I knew I was outside 10, but not as far out as 5, she said I was around 7 ... see I was right :p

I like the reason is the pins don't know who is bowling, I'm now in disguise :D

Jord_84
02-05-2009, 10:05 PM
I think I'll "forget" my glasses at home next week and start keeping track of this theory.

PSBA10
02-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Actually ThongPrincess I think just the reverse is what happens. Since you can clearly see your target you tend to focus elsewhere, your timing, your swing plane, your release, etc. By taking your glasses off you are forcing yourself to concentrate on seeing and identifying your target. The mechanics become nothing more than muscle memory doing what they were trained to do.

Jord_84
02-06-2009, 07:58 PM
hahahaha, went out to throw a practice game and shot 219 without glasses.