PDA

View Full Version : That Purple Stuff Review (PART 2) by Lane Side Reviews

bowl1820
12-23-2015, 11:09 PM
Published on Dec 23, 2015

Check out part TWO of our in-depth look into the new phenomenon, "That Purple Stuff"! In Part two we will be looking at what carry down is, how it effects your game, and how lane shine makes it worse. We will also be looking at a ball that has 40 games on it, and how That Purple stuff made a difference when it was cleaned.

Will it live up to the hype? Stay tuned!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbQMMIoeGNw

bowl1820
12-23-2015, 11:16 PM
We'll see how the That Purple Stuff does! I have a feeling one of Santa's Staffers may have got me a bottle to test out in one of my Ball Cleaner Showdown's.

Amyers
12-24-2015, 02:02 AM
Good news nothing like freebies. Let us know if you see enough difference to be worth the price.

RobLV1
12-24-2015, 05:13 AM
I tried some Tuesday night, part way through league. In anticipation, on the first shot with the ball "cleaned," I moved five boards left... and struck. Personally, I don't think it should be allowed for use during competition, but that's just me.

scottymoney
12-24-2015, 10:13 AM
In order to use this stuff you really have to understand transition or else I think using this will actually make you worse.
I have seen it a few times as I resurface balls for people. They give me a ball that has never been resurfaced for well over a year sometimes 2 or 3.
I clean it up, remove the oil and resurface back to factory or whatever they want. (Most cases factory cause they don't know what they want)
Watching them throw it for the first game or 2 becomes a show. The ball reacts how it should but they never make moves. For a lot of people I think this will cause more issues than it is worth.

JasonNJ
12-24-2015, 11:46 AM
It looks pretty good, but doing a search online for this stuff I read on another forum 2 of the ingredients in this are toxic. Here are the 2 ingredients with links on how toxic they are. So I will be sticking with my ball oven to get oil out of my ball.

Methanol
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1174890-overview

Glutaraldehyde
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/glutaraldehyde/default.html

bowl1820
12-24-2015, 12:54 PM
It looks pretty good, but doing a search online for this stuff I read on another forum 2 of the ingredients in this are toxic. Here are the 2 ingredients with links on how toxic they are. So I will be sticking with my ball oven to get oil out of my ball.

The whole toxic chemical horse has been beat many times. The majority of products have "toxic" chemicals in them, it's all a matter of concentration in the solution.

Baking a ball can be dangerous, your heating petroleum products, chemical resins, plasticizers, etc. All can produce toxic fumes when heated.

Unless your sensitive to certain chemicals, it's a non-issue.

bowl1820
12-24-2015, 02:51 PM
I tried some Tuesday night, part way through league. In anticipation, on the first shot with the ball "cleaned," I moved five boards left... and struck. Personally, I don't think it should be allowed for use during competition, but that's just me.

In order to use this stuff you really have to understand transition or else I think using this will actually make you worse.
I have seen it a few times as I resurface balls for people. They give me a ball that has never been resurfaced for well over a year sometimes 2 or 3.
I clean it up, remove the oil and resurface back to factory or whatever they want. (Most cases factory cause they don't know what they want)
Watching them throw it for the first game or 2 becomes a show. The ball reacts how it should but they never make moves. For a lot of people I think this will cause more issues than it is worth.

In the two cases quoted here.

Rob understanding his equipment, product use and conditions anticipated what would happen and made a adjustment ahead of time and struck.

Scottymoney's bowlers on the other hand, not understanding their equipment and the changes made to it. Struggled and had to learn what adjustments to make as they used it.

This shows that understanding your equipment, how and when to use products and how they relate to one another and the conditions is important. A lot bowlers don't understand that and are surprised by the results, when they make some kind of change and are not prepared for it.

Now the thing that both of these cases have in common is that the bowlers went from "a little reaction" to "a lot of reaction" in a instant. Rob was prepared for it, the others weren't.

In Rob's case he "part way through league" before trying some purple stuff.

In the case of the "Purple Stuff" Ron Hickland advocates cleaning the ball after every shot, because as he stated in a post to me that "Clean equals consistent reaction".

"Clean equals consistent reaction" is not a new idea, I heard that back in the day. Watching the PBA when it was on Wide World of Sports and they wiped after every shot.

If you start the night cleaning the ball after every shot, your not going to see some huge change in reaction every shot. (This would be true with most any cleaner)

I'm not saying you won't have to adjust or that you might not have to adjust faster as the night goes on, just that your not going to have to make 3-4-5 board adjustments every frame.

But If you go through half the night without cleaning your ball then suddenly clean it like Rob did, of course your going to see a change in reaction.

It won't matter if it's Ron's stuff, Storms, Brunswick etc or one of the fancy new towels like the Genesis Pad you cleaned it with, it's just the fact you cleaned it.

As for Ron's "Purple Stuff" cleaner is it some miracle cleaner that will magically cause you to stop leaving 10 pins? or shoot nothing but strikes?

I haven't tried it yet so I can't say, I doubt it.

Most likely it's decent cleaner, like a few others. And will wind up just being a personal preference choice of whether someone likes it or not like all the rest.

Ric Hamlin:

Bowling is not nor should be a perfect scenario or environment...bowlers have become to complacent thinking they shouldn't have to or need to adjust or move and if anyone effects their playing area they become offended...bowlers need to learn how bowl more so than find more excuses...

RobLV1
12-24-2015, 03:01 PM
I need to clarify that I started using That Purple Stuff part way through the league because a friend of mine came up to me with a bottle and said, "Merry Christmas," so I tried it. Today I practiced four games and used it after every shot. I was amazed and apalled at how much grime came off of my ball. I now believe, more than ever, that it shouldn't be allowed during competition. That being said, I do think that it is the best cleaner that I have ever seen for use after every session.

mc_runner
12-24-2015, 03:31 PM
Rob, I think you might have just sold me on it (the videos helped too, lol). Not using it during league, but at least to keep the ball clean after sessions. If it can actually remove the oil as well as it claims, it will be worth the price.

bowl1820
12-24-2015, 04:00 PM
I need to clarify that I started using That Purple Stuff part way through the league because a friend of mine came up to me with a bottle and said, "Merry Christmas," so I tried it.
That's a friend! free product.

Today I practiced four games and used it after every shot. I was amazed and apalled at how much grime came off of my ball.

Besides the grime removed, what affect did the clean ball have on bowling? was your shot consistent? did you leave a 10 pin? by the end of the 4th game did you have to move so far left you were lofting over the entire left lane because the ball hooked so much?:):)

I now believe, more than ever, that it shouldn't be allowed during competition.

Don't allow that particular cleaner? or all cleaners?

If it's don't allow all cleaners, that's okay.

But if it's only that one (Purple Stuff) to not be allowed, because it cleans too good. That's not right and would open a big can of worms.

Like who and how do they define whats too clean?

That being said, I do think that it is the best cleaner that I have ever seen for use after every session.

looking forward to giving it a try.

One thing learned was just how filthy the lanes are!!

RobLV1
12-24-2015, 09:57 PM
1. I can't really say what effect the cleaner had as I shot 147-177 with reactive balls, followed by 231-203 with my plastic spare ball. I will say that I also used it on the plastic ball and it was carrying the corners with no problem. The sad thing is that this was on fresh oil (short pattern). The idea that anything, ball or product, will eliminate corner pins is ludicrous when bowlers insist on playing the wrong part of the lane!

2. All cleaners.

2. I'm looking forward to using it to clean balls after each session.

vdubtx
12-24-2015, 11:11 PM

That was just the easy house shot, not the cleaner. :p

Blacksox1
12-25-2015, 12:34 AM
That was just the easy house shot, not the cleaner. :p

Like the response.

I will demo this product soon. Maybe on Monday.

Sounds like rob and mwhite could go back to the early 1980s. I say this with respect, I bowled at that time too. Path forward is more my style, I like new challenges. Nothing ever stays the same.

Did anyone see the stage one rocket land at Cocoa Beach Florida?

RobLV1
12-25-2015, 02:30 AM
Like the response.

I will demo this product soon. Maybe on Monday.

Sounds like rob and mwhite could go back to the early 1980s. I say this with respect, I bowled at that time too. Path forward is more my style, I like new challenges. Nothing ever stays the same.

Did anyone see the stage one rocket land at Cocoa Beach Florida?

I would love to go back to the early 1980's... the time before my back got so bad when I could actually throw the ball over 12 mph! LOL

Blomer
12-28-2015, 05:20 PM
I ended up buying this cleaner on eBay and it came today. I just cleaned two balls, one that I clean after every session and one that I haven't used in a while and can't recall when I cleaned it last. But wow, the grim came off! And ohhh that smell! It says to clean in a well ventilated area and make sure you do so. Will be interesting to test it out tonight. I sent a message to to the creator, Ronald and he said to only add a small amount to microfiber towel or pad and I did so and it was plenty. I also asked what he meant by cleaning it after every shot and he said to wipe the ball down fm lane oils. He sells a microfiber pad and other side is other is a sued material. He said inside the pad is a another pad,which absorbs the cleaner. So after your initial application, continue to use the pad and the absorbed cleaner will keep the ball fresh for the series.