PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this league?

chrono00
12-27-2015, 11:04 AM
Not really sure if I can post the sheets here but if you search Bowl.com league sheets 29009 you can look at them

Big money league near me that attracted teams from other centers in the area shrinking other leagues.

From looking at the numbers it seems to be 90% of 200. Now 90% would be fine, the 200 is absolutely insane. More than half the bowlers in the league are over that threshold, with a good handful in the 220-230s range.

It's obvious with so many guys over the 200 level that they dominate the meetings and won't change to make it fair cause it benefits them.

chrono00
12-27-2015, 11:15 AM
Just breezing through real quick of averages with games played I think I counted 86-70 as far as 200+ bowlers to those under. So that's a good amount of guys getting screwed over on the handicap

fordman1
12-27-2015, 11:23 AM
Good bowlers migrate to leagues that they can take advantage of. Then they move on. Most leagues like this start shrinking and soon fold.

bowl1820
12-27-2015, 11:54 AM
It's obvious with so many guys over the 200 level that they dominate the meetings and won't change to make it fair cause it benefits them.

Since it's a competitive, big money league for high average bowlers that handicap isn't unfair. looking at those scores, a bowler better be bringing their "A" if they want to compete. Not wishing for a ton of handicap so they don't have to work at it.

If anything 90% of 200 is generous, that should be a scratch league.

You can view league standing sheets here also:

http://www.leaguesecretary.com/sproul_lanes/premier_mens_bowling_league/bowling/league/18724/2015/f/15/leaguefilesstandings.aspx

Looking at the rules,
http://www.leaguesecretary.com/sproul_lanes/premier_mens_bowling_league/bowling/league/18724/2015/f/15/leaguefilesrules.aspx

The league uses 90% of team difference for team handicapping, the 90% of 200 is for individual handicapping.

And is broken up into two divisions and uses a split season also (4 quarters).

At first glance it looks like a modified match point system it just uses team points, but set line ups like for man to man but there doesn't appear to be any points for man to man.

The current league average is 203, with 26 teams 5 man teams, all with rosters of 6-8 men.

Okay there are 179 bowlers that includes regulars plus thee roster players.

there are only 37 bowlers who have less than a 190 average.

larry mc
12-27-2015, 01:36 PM
seems its a league for high rollers who are sick of being beaten by sandbaggers

got_a_300
12-27-2015, 06:32 PM
Sounds like my kind of league too bad we don't have one like it around here.
I just wish we still had a scratch league around here but nobody wants to
bowl a scratch league anymore too many baggers now days.

bowl1820
12-27-2015, 07:11 PM
Even as bad as I've been bowling this season, I wouldn't mind doing that league myself.

Bowling that league against a bunch of high rollers you'd try harder, it would make you a better bowler. You can get lazy on a regular league.

fordman1
12-27-2015, 08:15 PM
Not really sure if I can post the sheets here but if you search Bowl.com league sheets 29009 you can look at them

Big money league near me that attracted teams from other centers in the area shrinking other leagues.

From looking at the numbers it seems to be 90% of 200. Now 90% would be fine, the 200 is absolutely insane. More than half the bowlers in the league are over that threshold, with a good handful in the 220-230s range.

Can you explain what you mean by big money league? Prize fund, jackpots what do you mean?

Hot_pocket
12-28-2015, 09:41 AM
Can you explain what you mean by big money league? Prize fund, jackpots what do you mean?

he's Probably talking about pots, brackets, eliminators etc. My Sunday afternoon league is big money. We have 2 Pots, brackets, the eliminator, love doubles, strike jackpot and a mystery game. The mystery game is only in game 2 and they choose 3 scores and people closes to the scores, over or under, win. Our prize fund is pretty decent also.

bowl1820
12-28-2015, 10:06 AM
he's Probably talking about pots, brackets, eliminators etc. My Sunday afternoon league is big money. We have 2 Pots, brackets, the eliminator, love doubles, strike jackpot and a mystery game. The mystery game is only in game 2 and they choose 3 scores and people closes to the scores, over or under, win. Our prize fund is pretty decent also.

Having lot's of side games like Pots,Brackets, etc. doesn't really make a league a "Big money" league.

A true big money league typically is one where there's a huge payout for at least 1st,2nd places, usually money contributed by a sponsor in addition to the regular prize money. These leagues typically have higher league fees to bowl also.

mc_runner
12-28-2015, 10:45 AM
Yeah, prize fund normally. Example would be first place getting like $10,000 and last place getting like $300. Costs more to bowl in per week and for obvious reasons tends to be more serious in terms of competition. Totally off topic but after the "big league" at my house (which I'm not in currently) there's still some action bowling late night. Would like to make it down there some time and check out the scene.... ideally when there is no work the following day, haha

TonyInPortland
12-28-2015, 10:50 AM
Only 4 points per night? Isn't it unusual to have a league with this many high-average bowlers not have any match-play points?

chrono00
12-28-2015, 11:19 AM
Didn't think to look on league secretary, to find the rules. 90% of team difference is Definatly more fair. It just seemed at first like they taking advantage of the handicap system. That league apparently started out as a semicompetive church league, and all the sponsorship money and stuff started attracting people to their league.

I don't remember all the details, but I know they got sponsorship money for the league, and the payout per point is around $45 per point.

As far as how much 1st 2nd ect pays out I'm not sure, but I am pretty sure the money is Definatly skewed toward teams higher in the standings

As far as match play points tony, not that I know of. It seems like all the leagues around here use the point per game plus totals for 4 points a night.

I'm sure they have plenty of side pots as well.

It is funny how that league attracted some players from the league in our house and others with sponsorship, and shortly after the league I am in also got sponsors, and have a pretty decent payout as well.

Hot_pocket
12-28-2015, 12:33 PM
i haven't had any leagues sponsored where i bowl. Whats the lineage fee?

Tony
12-28-2015, 05:12 PM

I can't speak for other leagues but I have bowled in a few sponsored leagues and in every case the sponsor money went directly to the prize fund. We paid the same amounts as if there was no sponsor. Most of them were beer companies.

fordman1
12-28-2015, 05:20 PM
In a four point system for 34 weeks it would take about 100 points to win. That would give first place $45,000.00. Must have some nice sponsors. You should call the PBA and tell them.

bowl1820
12-28-2015, 05:42 PM
In a four point system for 34 weeks it would take about 100 points to win. That would give first place $45,000.00. Must have some nice sponsors. You should call the PBA and tell them.

$45,000!!!

if you won every point, every week for 34 weeks with a possible 4 points a week, That would be 136 points.

At $45 a point, that's only $6210. Divided by at least 5 players that's $1,224 each. That's still good money though.

As for how how the sponsor money is used, can vary.

A lot of the time sponsor money is separate from the normal prizefund.

Example say a sponsor put up $20,000,

You could have say $15k for 1st, $5k for 2nd plus the regular prizefund.

Tony
12-28-2015, 05:51 PM
I am thinking you've added an extra zero. Still 4500.00 is a very tidy amount to win.

bowl1820
12-28-2015, 05:52 PM

The "League fee" for a big money league they had on the other side the county here last time I heard was like $25-$30 a night I think that was awhile back.

fordman1
12-28-2015, 07:22 PM
I am thinking you've added an extra zero. Still 4500.00 is a very tidy amount to win.

Snitch.. We use the 7 point sys. and pay over $19.20. Our 1st place gets about $4200. 24 teams. 24th gets mayby $1800.

Jekyll & Hyde
01-01-2016, 12:26 PM
i know i bowl better when i bowl against people who have higher avg. then me. it makes me want to beat them more. i saw my avg. jump up 20 pins just by doing that.

Hot_pocket
01-03-2016, 11:52 AM
I pay $36 a week and we have a a decent prize fund. I wish we had some sponsers though.

fordman1
01-03-2016, 03:21 PM
What part of the fee goes for linage?

billf
01-04-2016, 03:56 PM
It was obviously, to me anyway, set up this way to help the higher average bowlers. Nothing wrong with that as there are plenty of leagues around that award too much to handicap already.
I bowl one scratch and two handicap leagues.

fordman1
01-04-2016, 05:49 PM
Bill if I am a lower avg. bowler 180-190 why would I ever bowl in a league that is set up to screw me? We have lost a ton of leagues because high avg. bowlers get control of the league and top load the payoff and make unfair H/C rules.

bowl1820
01-04-2016, 06:55 PM
Bill if I am a lower avg. bowler 180-190 why would I ever bowl in a league that is set up to screw me? We have lost a ton of leagues because high avg. bowlers get control of the league and top load the payoff and make unfair H/C rules.

Interesting, in what way would the this league screw a 180-190 ave. bowler?

That league uses a handicap of 90% of team difference, that's the same handicap the mixed league I'm on right now uses. Everyone voted for it because they felt it gave them a better chance against the high ave. teams.

fordman1
01-04-2016, 07:02 PM
Bill said it was obvious. 90% is fine. Talking in generalities sir.