PDA

View Full Version : Bowling Books

NYMIKE
12-28-2015, 12:21 AM
I ordered The Game Changer by Mark Baker for instruction. Also I bought vintage books How to Bowl by Ned Day (1942), Bowling for All by Joe Falcaro and Murray Goodman (1943), and 10 Secrets of Bowling by Don Carter (1958) I like vintage books. I noticed there are not many books that deal with history of bowling, there is one Historical Dictionary of Bowling by John Grasso, unfortunately it's over $100 though a lot of it is available for free on google books. Any good books about the subject, not necessarily instructional?

RobLV1
12-28-2015, 07:57 AM
"Bowling Across America," 50 States in Rented Shoes, by Mike Walsh. St. Martin's Press, New York, 2008. A fun read!

Briantime
12-28-2015, 09:45 AM
I love the vintage stuff available for bowling. I have really been enjoying the old TV matches that are on Youtube.

I'm going to check out the one's you mentioned. Thank you

Tony
12-28-2015, 09:50 AM
I would like to get the Mark Baker book, have read some of it on-line, looks like a great reference.

fortheloveofbowling
12-28-2015, 05:48 PM
Fast Lanes (Carmen Salvino Biography)

Pin Action (basically a Ernie Schlegel Biography)

Bowled Over (lots of vintage pictures)

Lets go Bowling (lots of vintage pictures)

Par Bowling Published 1976 (Basically the Bowling Bible for many years)

NYMIKE
12-29-2015, 12:33 AM
I will pick up Bowling Accross America, and Pin Action which I presume revolves around NYC bowling

Briantime
12-29-2015, 04:01 PM
I just got a copy of:

"Pin action : small-time gangsters, high-stakes gambling, and the teenage hustler who became a bowling champion"

Story of Ernie Schlegel and the bowling/gambling scene of the 70's.

If it's half as good as it sounds, I'm going to really enjoy it!

fortheloveofbowling
12-29-2015, 05:03 PM
I just got a copy of:

"Pin action : small-time gangsters, high-stakes gambling, and the teenage hustler who became a bowling champion"

Story of Ernie Schlegel and the bowling/gambling scene of the 70's.

If it's half as good as it sounds, I'm going to really enjoy it!

Great book and some of the great stories of action bowling in New York area in the 60's and 70's.