PDA

View Full Version : ring finger and pinky finger in ball?

goneal32
12-30-2015, 08:01 AM
I have injured my middle finger and tried to bowl with ring finger and pinky finger. I have always had trouble with a very low ball track, when I used my ring finger and little finger my rev rate and ball motion improved a lot. Has anyone tried this before? It seems that I can keep my hand under the ball much better and weaker balls become stronger motion. The balls I used were a polished Jackyl and a Unhinged oob, both have drillings with the pin over the middle finger, so when I used ring and pinky finger, it actually put the pin just to the right of the ring finger. Balls had much more revs and easier to control, balls felt lighter..Is this something I should consider doing all the time?

BrianG
12-30-2015, 08:37 AM
One of the guys on my team did the same thing earlier this year because he jammed his middle finger. He had to throw the ball a little slower but his accuracy was still good. He said it was a little uncomfortable at first but he got used to it. He only did it for one week and went back to throwing the ball normally the next week though.

Hot_pocket
12-30-2015, 11:43 AM
if it works for you then stick with it. I tried sarge easter, bowled well but switched back after a while.

foreverincamo
12-30-2015, 03:18 PM
I've seen balls with all 5 fingers drilled and for index and middle, but not middle and pinkie. That's interesting.

J Anderson
12-30-2015, 03:20 PM
I have injured my middle finger and tried to bowl with ring finger and pinky finger. I have always had trouble with a very low ball track, when I used my ring finger and little finger my rev rate and ball motion improved a lot. Has anyone tried this before? It seems that I can keep my hand under the ball much better and weaker balls become stronger motion. The balls I used were a polished Jackyl and a Unhinged oob, both have drillings with the pin over the middle finger, so when I used ring and pinky finger, it actually put the pin just to the right of the ring finger. Balls had much more revs and easier to control, balls felt lighter..Is this something I should consider doing all the time?

My only concern would be what happens to the fit when you switch to those fingers. Just checked with one of my balls and the span for the pinky would definitely be to long. It also might cause my thumb to chafe since all my thumb holes are oval.

Oh yeah, you probably don't want a stronger ball motion when shooting corner pins.

Tony
12-30-2015, 05:05 PM
You mentioned rev rate and other functions but not scoring. Are you getting higher scores?

At first I thought the span would be a concern, but by trying it with one of my balls I can see that your hand position is rotated, the issue would be not having a rounded thumb hole. Another concern would be the added stress on the pinkie finger.
Being that the orientation of your hand changes significantly I wonder if using middle and 3rd fingers, when your finger is healed but changing the finger holes to reflect that same hand position / moving finger holes to the left would result in the same ball motion as you're getting now due to the core of the ball.