PDA

View Full Version : Ball hitting pin just as it slides into gutter

NewToBowling
01-12-2016, 01:17 PM
For anyone watching the Scorpion Championship on ESPN this past weekend you saw Jason Sterner shoot at the 10 pin and barely grazed it before falling into gutter. Ball was basically 3/4 of the way in the gutter but had enough to knock out the 10 pin. They counted it as a spare but could easily marked it as an open. I guess the ball has to entirely enter the gutter channel to be an invalid shot?

Ishkabibble
01-12-2016, 02:16 PM
I didn't see but I believe it is not a gutter ball until the ball actually hits the gutter.

Goose
01-12-2016, 02:45 PM
Can anyone comment or clarify? Gutter or Spare? i did something similar this past weekend, but shooting at the 7, ball hit the gutter just about 1 foot before the pin, popped back up and took the 7 down and out. Both lanes on either side were clapping.

NewToBowling
01-12-2016, 03:05 PM
At the 43 minute mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDXEmXMfFmU

Hot_pocket
01-12-2016, 03:06 PM
if its in the gutter its a gutter if it aint in the gutter then its live.

Ishkabibble
01-12-2016, 03:30 PM
Can anyone comment or clarify? Gutter or Spare? i did something similar this past weekend, but shooting at the 7, ball hit the gutter just about 1 foot before the pin, popped back up and took the 7 down and out. Both lanes on either side were clapping.
Once the ball hits the gutter it is a dead ball. If it pops back on the deck and takes out a pin(s) the score needs to be adjusted.

SAbowler
01-12-2016, 03:33 PM

If it bounced out of the gutter, it should have been an open frame. In Sterner's case, the ball hit the pin before it dropped in the ditch.

foreverincamo
01-12-2016, 07:11 PM
Jason's shot was a ligit spare. But it doesn't get any closer to being an open. Too bad he wasn't shooting the 8-10 because he would have picked that up

SAbowler
01-13-2016, 09:21 AM
Jason's shot was a ligit spare. But it doesn't get any closer to being an open. Too bad he wasn't shooting the 8-10 because he would have picked that up

I saw a guy pick up a 7-10 split last night. First time I've ever actually seen one covered.