PDA

View Full Version : Bowling Down or Up to the Competition or your Team

Blomer
01-12-2016, 07:05 PM
This year I have been bowling on three leagues. On Monday is the league in which I have been bowling for 3 seasons. Several good bowlers in the league. My team however isn't so great. I'm the high bowler of 182 then there is a 175 bowler and other three in 160s. I've been bowling decent, last year I averaged 170. B when I bowl on this team I've been struggling the last 5 weeks. Last night finally bowled average. On ?Tuesday's it's a strong league. My team has a 200 plus bowler, 190, 185 and 170 and I'm bowling 186. Sunday's we have a 200 bowler, 190, 180 and then a 150 and I'm bowling 185.

Does anyone seem to have similar issues.

foreverincamo
01-12-2016, 07:19 PM
I did this when I was younger. I matched the other team or competition level on the four leagues I was in. Now I push myself no matter what to score my best. Always try to break 200 even if it means throw the last 6 in a row to do it.

jab5325
01-13-2016, 08:10 AM
This is a terribly bad habit of mine.

My scratch league average (after a terrible, terrible start) is 185. First ball average of 8.8, 75% single-pins (ouch, I know), 59% overall spares (double ouch), 44% strikes.

My handicap league average is 170. FBA of 8.65, 68% sincle-pins, 52% overall spares, 34% strikes. I use this league as "practice", but that's no excuse for such poor spare shooting. The "competition" is very, very bad and it's more of a time for guys to get hammered and act like lunatics. Despite this, it's definitely bowling down to the competition. But, my team is in first place by a comfortable margin, so I don't feel too bad.

scottymoney
01-13-2016, 09:22 AM
This happens a lot. Psychologically and also how the lanes break down. Higher average guys tend to be more consistent and some can break down the lanes and play where they should. My team leads our league in team average and we tend to get guys to bowl their better games against us. This purely based on they get that miss room right against us. Numerous times I have hard from the guys we bowl against on any given night how the back ends are hooking more. It mainly is because we break down the lane and have a good miss spot to the right.

Tony
01-13-2016, 09:31 AM
My wed league I have a 200 bowler on my team and a couple of guys very close to me 179 / 180 and I am at 183 and Fri I also have a 200 plus bowler and one guy about 10 pins behind me and I'm at 179. I am starting to make my focus on hitting 200 every game and striving for that, I hope that translates into an increase in average for me, I want to end the season in the 190's in both leagues!