PDA

View Full Version : After 40 years, I finally got the 7-10 split....

swingset
01-14-2016, 09:44 PM
And I didn't even see it happen.

:mad:

Left it, and hurled my plastic spare ball at the 10-pin....it was a hair left of a direct hit, I could tell I had the 10 picked off, so I turned around and started walking....then I heard my team mates yell. It bounced right and flew over and took out the 7.

Gah!

I've hit pretty much every weird/hard spare I can think of, got the Greek Church a couple of times...but the 7-10 always eluded me. Ah well, milestones....next I wanna see it.

:)

Blomer
01-14-2016, 10:05 PM
That's awesome! Congrats!

Lefty651
01-15-2016, 01:20 AM
I've yet to see it done but I have faith it'll happen sometime! Congrats to you!

shadd
01-15-2016, 08:28 AM
...so I turned around and started walking...

Guarantee you'll never turn your back on a 7-10 again! Congratulations!!!

Man, if you were on the telecast you would have gotten $100,000...goals!

vdubtx
01-15-2016, 10:26 AM
Congrats! Have been close a few times. I never turn my back on spares, just in case something good happens. :cool:

foreverincamo
01-15-2016, 02:45 PM
Very cool. I pick it up once about 30 years ago.

TonyInPortland
01-18-2016, 11:40 AM
Guarantee you'll never turn your back on a 7-10 again! Congratulations!!!

Man, if you were on the telecast you would have gotten $100,000...goals!

The only time I saw it live was similar to the OP. He threw his normal 7 pin shot, turned around and walked back, it hit the pin solid(he does not throw the ball fast or with many revs), the pin bounced out of the pit, rolled across the lane and hit the 10 pin, solidly. He never saw it. And I have watched him countless times since, on the 7-10 shot, and now, he always watches. But has never come close again.

Tony
01-18-2016, 12:31 PM
Great to finally get one! I have picked up many different crazy spares but have not got a 7 /10. I'm glad to say, it's not often that I have one to shoot at and I'm glad to keep it that way !
Once one of my teammates picked one up, between the legs !
We got into the habit of throwing between the legs at impossible splits and we got pretty good at getting a pin or two, just as good as if we made a normal throw.
We were amazed when he got the 7 -10 !

got_a_300
01-18-2016, 01:18 PM
I have made the dreaded 7-10 split 2 times in the
last 36 years of bowling and unfortunately I've had
a lot of practice... as a matter of fact way too much
practice shooting at them last few years. :eek: LOL!!!!!

jab5325
01-18-2016, 02:12 PM
Anyone ever make the Greek Church?

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2015/02/hardest_shot_in_bowling_it_s_not_the_7_10_split_it _s_the_greek_church.html

I actually came close last week, missing the 10-pin.

shadd
01-18-2016, 02:56 PM
When it comes to the 7-10, what is your "strategy"? Do you aim channel side, hoping it kicks off the backstop or inside, trying to bounce off the side wall back across? Also, what pin do you target? If you do have a set strategy, where did that strategy come from?

I'm right handed and target the 10-pin and try to hit the outside to kick back off the backstop. This strategy has been with me since my youth days when the house I bowled at had a reputation for "solid" backstops, not sure if the reputation was warranted or not but I ran and am running with it to this day.

jab5325
01-18-2016, 03:00 PM
I personally never "try" to make a 7-10.

I just throw my usual 7-pin shot. I've came close a few times and have gotten it to slide onto the deck, but never picked up the 10.

NewToBowling
01-18-2016, 03:36 PM
Anyone ever make the Greek Church?

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2015/02/hardest_shot_in_bowling_it_s_not_the_7_10_split_it _s_the_greek_church.html

I actually came close last week, missing the 10-pin.

In that article those numbers are flawed because most times bowlers are concerned about count vs trying to convert thus the reason for low conversion rate.

got_a_300
01-18-2016, 06:24 PM
When I made my 1st 7-10 split I shot on the inside of the 10 pin
and bounced it off the side wall and rolled it across the deck to
take out the 7 pin.

On the 2nd one I made I shot the 7 pin head on and threw the
ball extra hard and fast and somehow it took a bounce out of
the pit or off the back curtain and hit the 10 pin and took it down.

I have no set strategy for shooting the 7-10 split I'll throw at the
7 pin sometimes and other times I'll throw at the 10 pin because
it is just a matter of luck if you end up making it.

BrianG
01-20-2016, 09:27 AM
I have made the 7-10 but unfortunately it was when i had the 6-7-10 split haha. Just missed the 6 pin and the 10 pin bounced off the back and then off of the ball and flew over to the 7. A couple other times while shooting at just the 10 pin I have had it bounce over to where the 7 pin would be. I have made the Greek Church but I threw it and walked away so I didn't see how I made it, I just heard everyone yell.

swingset
01-25-2016, 07:00 PM
When it comes to the 7-10, what is your "strategy"? Do you aim channel side, hoping it kicks off the backstop or inside, trying to bounce off the side wall back across? Also, what pin do you target? If you do have a set strategy, where did that strategy come from?

I'm right handed and target the 10-pin and try to hit the outside to kick back off the backstop. This strategy has been with me since my youth days when the house I bowled at had a reputation for "solid" backstops, not sure if the reputation was warranted or not but I ran and am running with it to this day.

I'm not accurate enough to have a strategy, lol. I just go for the 10 pin and hope for the best.