PDA

View Full Version : Consistency over everything else

NewToBowling
01-15-2016, 07:07 PM
I know this may go against coaches or long time bowlers here but I believe consistency trumps over everything else when it comes to bowling release and approach. Ability to repeat your shot over and over is key.

Take the most recent 900 bowler from Pennsylvania. People have blasted him (other forums, not this one) for his "weak" and "ugly" approach. How he doesn't have much of a crossover step or weak hand with weak release and less than optimal revs. The one thing he has is consistency and muscle memory. He probably looks the same each and every time and was able to achieve the ultimate accomplishment. Sure a walled up house pattern and some lucked helped me also.

Not everyone can look like Chris Barnes but on house shots at your local league it doesn't matter as much.

foreverincamo
01-15-2016, 08:19 PM
Well said. I watched the video of him, and he probably has the lowest rev rate out of all the 900's. Does it really matter?

Hobbit
01-15-2016, 08:33 PM
Consistency is king here!
If u can't repeat your swing, you will forever be struggling..

Would like to mention that you also need a smart bowling brain in the sense of understanding adjustments, releases and oil patterns/breakdown .. you may have the best physical game, but without a good head on your shoulders your ultimate development will be limited...

bowl1820
01-15-2016, 08:38 PM
Consistency has always been one of the hallmarks of bowling.

One of the first things I had heard was even if you did it wrong, If you did it consistently that way you could work with it.

swingset
01-15-2016, 08:48 PM
I don't think there's a bowling expert in the world who would argue that consistency isn't the key.

That's not why people teach good form, tho.

Good form maximizes your ability to build consistency - by removing most or as much of the body mechanics that promote inconsistency.

Can you be great with "poor" form? Of course...in many sports, from golf to bowling (let's face it, a lot of pros are off balance at the line, have erratic swing planes, strange leg-work, etc.), but consistency is better nurtured with good form than bad. That's really all it is.

Tony
01-15-2016, 11:12 PM
It's pretty easy to agree with consistency, even with poor form or / and balance slow speed or less than optimal rotation if you can do it the same imperfect way every time and hit the target you're shooting for chances are you will be a pretty good scoring bowler even if you don't look like you should be a good bowler, it's just the way it works.

fordman1
01-16-2016, 12:01 PM
I say consistency is important. League bowlers will do fine if they have revs and speed. The game has changed over the years and speed is much more important than you would believe. I know bowlers who have gone to 14 lb. balls for more speed. The new balls grab the lane so much just get it near the head pin and the pins will fly all over the place. Spares are a whole different animal. Be consistent.

Blomer
01-16-2016, 06:23 PM
Consistentcy had always been key and my enemy, when I'm not consistent. When ever I'm struggling, I'm not hitting my mark, my speed varies, etc. but when I'm on, I'm consistent.

jab5325
01-18-2016, 08:20 AM
The best bowler in my house is a lefty who suitcases it, has no crossover step, and doesn't throw a big hook at all. Averages about 230, and is lucky to miss 2-3 spares across 3 leagues per week.

I'm far from the best bowler, and consistency is the biggest problem for me. When I try to help people bowl, I always try to explain exactly what 1820 said......whatever you do, do it consistently and learn how to adjust from that.

Tony
01-18-2016, 09:53 AM
It takes all kinds, one bowler I know throws a ball with speed that's right down 2nd arrow angled toward the pocket and only hooks a slight amount. He is very accurate at hitting his mark and scores well. He shot another 300 last week.
Same style delivery from a 20 something year old kid we bowled last week, I'm not sure how he can play so far right and keep the ball on the right side of the lane, but he does it consistently, he nearly shot a 300 against us last week (279)
Both of these guys average in the 220's

I've found myself that staying behind the ball more instead of the 1/4 turn or suitcase delivery that reduces the amount of hook on my ball seems to translate to better overall scoring. The higher percentage of strikes and reduction in multi pin spares has me shooting more 200 games and more games in the 240's that I had been shooting with the larger hook.