PDA

View Full Version : Kettleball - Swing Training

AlexNC
01-16-2016, 08:46 PM
I've been working for a while on making some adjustments to my swing plane and also getting a more free swing. I know there are some tools out there, and for a period of time i have been using some inexpensive weights. While I was at the sports store today I happened to notice a kettle ball might suit the job nicely. I ended up purchasing one in 15 ls. Granted, for the free swing its not gonna flex like some of the other tools, but the shape is nice and I have been using it in the mirror. Also experimented with going through the approach with it. Anyone tried something like this?

fokai73
01-18-2016, 01:17 PM
I got a 15lbs KB too and use it to work on balance. I use a lighter weighted KB for my swing and use these KB's to do flexsion and extension wrist/forearm excersises.

AlexNC
01-18-2016, 01:59 PM
Do you go lighter on the swing exercise so you can keep going back and forth for a while?

Jaescrub
01-18-2016, 02:02 PM
This is a good idea on paper. I'm going to have a try with this and see if this will help me with some at home training.

bowl1820
01-18-2016, 02:48 PM
Anyone tried something like this?

The old school method:
Place your ball in a ball seesaw and use that to practice your swing.

For those that don't know what a ball seesaw is:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PUcDIWmAL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

AlexNC
01-18-2016, 04:03 PM
Old school perhaps, but new to me. May have to try this at some point. Always looking for things I can do at home/off the lanes.

The old school method:
Place your ball in a ball seesaw and use that to practice your swing.

For those that don't know what a ball seesaw is:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PUcDIWmAL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

fokai73
01-19-2016, 02:51 AM
Do you go lighter on the swing exercise so you can keep going back and forth for a while?

with the 15lbs KB I set up like I'm posting at the line. I swing the kettle bell back and forth with my non bowing arm swinging in sequence. My non bowling arm and my hips are doing most of the work. I pull with my non bowling arm back and at the same time I swing forward with my bowling arm. I work on balance at the same time paying attention to my body angle or tilt - trying not to bend forward. I don't let my head go past my balance knee. When you're actually bowling, the momentum after release and follow through will get you head past your knee naturally. But bending forward too much and changing your spine angle during this drill isn't a good idea in my opinion. Your legs should be solid in a bi-pod position/finishing position/posting and have very little movement when you swing the ball. The hip rotate horizontally on an axis, the legs. But the main focus is the legs, hips, and upper body.

With the littler weight KB, I pretty much do the same thing as the above statement. Only my focus is more in both arms moving together. Also, I focus on my forearm and elbow. I rub my elbow against my shirt swinging back and down; and the face of my forearm is face away from my body at the top of the swing. This gets my hand inside the kettle bell. On the down swing and I feel where my forearm is facing (forward) and paying attention to my hand. I try not to turn counter clockwise on the down swing too early. I let it happen naturally. And why I use a lighter weight is because I use two fingers. Always swing with awareness of both arms and especially the bowling arm. But not everyone can hold the the KB with two finger that's lighter in weight cause the handle can be too thick. So, use all four fingers for safety. Finally, with the lighter weight, I practice my push away and cross over step. I take 5 steps so I do a two step drill. One step drill if you take 4 steps. Again, the left arm is doing the push away in the correct direction. For me, I push away inside. I tend to push away away from my body and it causes too much problems.

Yes these are old school home training, or a good warm up before bowling with a see-saw, but I came up with this when life at home became a priority and going to the lanes to practice became difficult as bowling alleys close to the house started closing.

Anyway, remember to stretch out prior to doing these drills, especially if you're up in age. Workout the legs with stretches and do some squats and lunges. Rotate your hips and all that. Good luck and I hope this helps.