PDA

View Full Version : How do you play a pattern like the Chameleon?

jab5325
01-19-2016, 08:40 AM
How do you guys play a pattern like the Chameleon?

RobLV1
01-19-2016, 10:22 AM
How do you guys play a pattern like the Chameleon?

The Chameleon pattern gained it's name because of how fast it changes. It is also affected a lot by individual lane topography. I made the top three in a Chameleon tournament a couple of years ago. It was four games across four pairs of lanes. During those four games I stood from 15 board to 35 board and targeted accordingly, using three or four different balls. Having an open mind and a willingness to move quickly is the key to playing Chameleon.

J Anderson
01-19-2016, 11:29 AM
The Chameleon pattern gained it's name because of how fast it changes. It is also affected a lot by individual lane topography. I made the top three in a Chameleon tournament a couple of years ago. It was four games across four pairs of lanes. During those four games I stood from 15 board to 35 board and targeted accordingly, using three or four different balls. Having an open mind and a willingness to move quickly is the key to playing Chameleon.

The first season that I bowled in a sport league, if a poll had been taken at the end of the season, Chameleon would have easily been the least liked pattern. As Rob says it play very differently from one lane to another due to individual lane topography. It is also very sensitive to who is and has played on it. It's very common to hear comments like, "This isn't the same pattern as last week", or "This isn't really Chameleon because it's not playing anything like it did at the PBA regional that I bowled in."

You can use the rule of 31 as a rough guide as to where to start and let the lane tell you how to play it. While sometimes it's better to not watch other players, especially if you might feel pressured by them getting better pin carry than you, on this pattern you need every hint you can get. On sport patterns I will move based on opponent leaving a 4 or a 9 pin.

jab5325
01-19-2016, 11:33 AM

The first season that I bowled in a sport league, if a poll had been taken at the end of the season, Chameleon would have easily been the least liked pattern. As Rob says it play very differently from one lane to another due to individual lane topography. It is also very sensitive to who is and has played on it. It's very common to hear comments like, "This isn't the same pattern as last week", or "This isn't really Chameleon because it's not playing anything like it did at the PBA regional that I bowled in."

You can use the rule of 31 as a rough guide as to where to start and let the lane tell you how to play it. While sometimes it's better to not watch other players, especially if you might feel pressured by them getting better pin carry than you, on this pattern you need every hint you can get. On sport patterns I will move based on opponent leaving a 4 or a 9 pin.

It indeed changes very quickly. I could throw the same line 3-4 frames at most. It's tough to stay "in front of", too, in my opinion. A simple 1-2 board adjustment doesn't necessarily work the way it would on other patterns.

Overall, things seemed that if you went high or Brooklyn, it was better than missing wide outside. There were numerous washouts as the pattern changed throughout the night.

bowl1820
01-20-2016, 11:32 AM
PBA Experience Patterns: Chameleon
Published on Jun 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9GoBSw3FEE

fokai73
01-20-2016, 01:25 PM
In the past, I would go by what everyone said on how and where to play the pattern. Failure.

Real world tells me where I should start and play. I do want to know a few things before bowling on a pattern. I want to know the length, volume, surface, temperature, and my equipment. I've bowled on a pattern where the spot was on the twig (1 and 2 board). Then go to the next house with the same animal pattern and the spot was around 3,4,5. Same name, but there are differences in the two.

There are too many variables and the 31 formula is...... okay, but it's not a solid one. Basically, I let my ball do the talking for me. Using my past experience also helps me.

Knowing your equipment, having access to a spinner, and understanding ball motion is a good start when bowing sport. Keeping ahead of the pattern is another part, but that's another topic.

Perrin
01-21-2016, 11:00 AM
There are too many variables and the 31 formula is...... okay, but it's not a solid one. Basically, I let my ball do the talking for me. Using my past experience also helps me.

it provides a point to start at on an unfamiliar pattern/house. Great for what it is.... just don't let what you do be based solely on it. :) always adjust for your style, the house, equipment, etc