PDA

View Full Version : Leaving ten pins, etc

Grouperdawg
01-21-2016, 05:14 PM
Hi,

I started bowling about two years ago and joined a league with some friends on Monday nights. Now we all have our own ball, shoes, etc and are a lot better bowlers and know more about bowling then I ever thought I would. Came across this forum and after reading, there is a lot I don't know, some of the talk is way over my head.

From what I am told, we have some of the worst lane conditions in town, many of the scratch bowlers have left bc they got so frustrated. I think our place went back to a house pattern now, but the amount of oil is way different almost every week.

I just bought a new ball that is really strong ( lock )

Our lanes break down really quick, by the third game I can be ten boards left of where I started. I usually start around the 25 board, or if there is a lot of oil, the 20 board. By the third game Im not getting a ton of strikes. My series last week was 230s, 215, and then 190. The week before I was 240s, 210, then 175.

I usually don't leave tens until the last game. If I do, It looks like the pin in front of the ten misses it from the front, like it spins in front of it. So, does this mean the ball is not revving as much as it hits the pocket? Would you want to slow down your throw so it angles more? It's not just ten pins, I just don't piece together a bunch of strikes in a row. It seems like it doesn't snap as hard at the end but I'm not really throwing it any different I don't think.

Other than that, In general, My worst bowling comes when it seems the outside has more oil, so if I take a normal line it breaks early and misses head pin left but if I get it out more it stays out and misses right.

Thx for any help

Perrin
01-22-2016, 09:59 AM
First.... Welcome to the board. we're usually pretty friendly and there are several folks on the board that know a lot about this sport.

For me there are two options when running into that scenario I offer both because I have found that which one works depends on the lanes....

1. you can tighten up your line and bring your breakpoint(spot downlane where the ball turns) in towards the middle of the lane. for me this works if the ball is burning up and just not able to generate enough angle to carry the corner
2. move your breakpoint closer to you downlane(from say 40' to 38') this works for me when the angle is there just a bit late in my experience this usually happens when 1 or more people are throwing urethane or plastic at the headpin generating some carry-down

as to how to tell which one to do... it's in the ball motion down lane. you have to watch the angle and roll of the ball at the pins to determine if it is burning out slighty(will have less rotation and 'hit like a marshmallow' or if the angle and roll look the same but the ball isn't quite making it to the right spot

Grouperdawg
01-22-2016, 10:14 AM
First.... Welcome to the board. we're usually pretty friendly and there are several folks on the board that know a lot about this sport.

For me there are two options when running into that scenario I offer both because I have found that which one works depends on the lanes....

1. you can tighten up your line and bring your breakpoint(spot downlane where the ball turns) in towards the middle of the lane. for me this works if the ball is burning up and just not able to generate enough angle to carry the corner
2. move your breakpoint closer to you downlane(from say 40' to 38') this works for me when the angle is there just a bit late in my experience this usually happens when 1 or more people are throwing urethane or plastic at the headpin generating some carry-down

as to how to tell which one to do... it's in the ball motion down lane. you have to watch the angle and roll of the ball at the pins to determine if it is burning out slighty(will have less rotation and 'hit like a marshmallow' or if the angle and roll look the same but the ball isn't quite making it to the right spot

Thanks a bunch, were practicing this afternoon so I appreciate your input to go try it out. Different place than league, much better conditions, but hopefully it dries out at some point to experiment. I think I understand scenario 1, really never thought of that.

With scenario 2, how do you make the breakpoint closer to you? With less velocity or do you try to put less revs on your throw?

Also, is carry down oil moving towards the pins? So the ball actually moves the oil into the dry part where it would normally break and instead doesn't break as hard, interesting

Thx for the advice!

vdubtx
01-22-2016, 11:35 AM
Here is a good video of a "ringing" ten pin which is what you are describing:

https://youtu.be/tylKw_CIR-o

For me, when bowling late in game 2 or 3, my target break point moves further down lane. Sometimes my target will be at 45' for breakpoint to get out of all the traffic that has happened in that spot.

Hot_pocket
01-22-2016, 11:40 AM
I was always told, when leaving 10 pins take a half a step back when you set up. you can try Adjusting your speed. For some people it works different ways.so play around with it. Don't be afraid to move the ball lower or higher at set-up or to move forward or backwards a step or 2 at set-up. It will feel weird but could help out. Also watch the ball as it hits. Watch to see if it deflects right, or drives straight through the 1-3 pocket. That will help with Perrin's second suggestion.

vdubtx
01-22-2016, 11:58 AM
I was always told, when leaving 10 pins take a half a step back when you set up. you can try Adjusting your speed. For some people it works different ways.so play around with it. Don't be afraid to move the ball lower or higher at set-up or to move forward or backwards a step or 2 at set-up. It will feel weird but could help out. Also watch the ball as it hits. Watch to see if it deflects right, or drives straight through the 1-3 pocket. That will help with Perrin's second suggestion.

Quite a few different moves you can make, but you have to watch if they are ringers or weak before you know which move to make. :cool:

Grouperdawg
01-22-2016, 01:32 PM
Here is a good video of a "ringing" ten pin which is what you are describing:

For me, when bowling late in game 2 or 3, my target break point moves further down lane. Sometimes my target will be at 45' for breakpoint to get out of all the traffic that has happened in that spot.

That's a great video of what is happening, the three pin hits the six too much to the left so It goes in front. If you r light that makes sense or the ball bounces right.

This was a video on my phone just bc I wanted to see what I looked like bowling. It happened to be a ten pin, but I thought I missed the pocket high, it wasn't my typical ten, I guess it bounced right

https://youtu.be/zj2LUBcu1xs

Grouperdawg
01-22-2016, 01:36 PM

So if it defects right it is weak and if it drives through it is ringing?

vdubtx
01-22-2016, 02:24 PM
So if it defects right it is weak and if it drives through it is ringing?

If it deflects right and "sits" in the channel it is a weak 10. Your video, I think was a weak 10. Couldn't zoom into it enough.

If the 6 pin hits the wall and wraps the 10 pin, that is a ringing 10.

fordman1
01-22-2016, 03:04 PM
I get madder when I keep leaving ringing 10's and the other team keeps hitting light and the head pin takes out half the rack. Don't even bring up Brooklyn's.

vdubtx
01-22-2016, 03:27 PM
I get madder when I keep leaving ringing 10's and the other team keeps hitting light and the head pin takes out half the rack. Don't even bring up Brooklyn's.

LOL. You and me both. I can be burying the pocket and leaving 10's and someone on other team will hit light and carry everything. Our team is constantly talking about that on Tuesdays.

Perrin
01-22-2016, 03:34 PM
Thanks a bunch, were practicing this afternoon so I appreciate your input to go try it out. Different place than league, much better conditions, but hopefully it dries out at some point to experiment. I think I understand scenario 1, really never thought of that.

With scenario 2, how do you make the breakpoint closer to you? With less velocity or do you try to put less revs on your throw?

Also, is carry down oil moving towards the pins? So the ball actually moves the oil into the dry part where it would normally break and instead doesn't break as hard, interesting

Thx for the advice!

I do it by changing where on the lane I focus my eyes. assuming you release the ball at the same point if you cross the 15 board at 15 feet it will get to the 6 board farther downlane than if you cross the 15 board at 14 feet. just a slight angle change

JasonNJ
01-23-2016, 12:52 AM
LOL. You and me both. I can be burying the pocket and leaving 10's and someone on other team will hit light and carry everything. Our team is constantly talking about that on Tuesdays.

Lately this seems to be a weekly occurrence with me. Most frustrating thing about bowling, my teammate and I are leaving ringing tens and the other team keeps getting light mixers and my teams been losing each week.

Grouperdawg
01-23-2016, 09:47 AM
If it deflects right and "sits" in the channel it is a weak 10. Your video, I think was a weak 10. Couldn't zoom into it enough.

If the 6 pin hits the wall and wraps the 10 pin, that is a ringing 10.

I know I missed the pocket when I threw that, I think I missed high and bounced right and then the ten ended up in the gutter.

What are the differences in adjustments for a ringing vs a hanging?

Grouperdawg
01-23-2016, 09:49 AM
I do it by changing where on the lane I focus my eyes. assuming you release the ball at the same point if you cross the 15 board at 15 feet it will get to the 6 board farther downlane than if you cross the 15 board at 14 feet. just a slight angle change

Interesting, I'm not really sure where I aim, I just kind of look at the pins and throw it

Grouperdawg
01-23-2016, 10:01 AM
Didn't leave many tens yesterday, I think two in six games, playing a house pattern where there is actually oil makes a huge difference. I have no idea why the lanes yesterday don't break down vs our league which breaks down so fast. I moved two boards in six games and threw my same ball the whole time.

The pattern yesterday is way easier than what we bowl. I missed my line left or right and would still get a strike bc would get caught in the oil or snap harder in the dry.

Practice game - 199

Teammate Grudge matches - 247, 223, 246, 213, 227

4 splits, 5 opens, 40 strikes....I was really pumped up after yesterday