PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

RobLV1
01-24-2016, 05:25 PM
When you get up on the approach ready to roll your shot, what's your thought? Do you always use the same "swing thought," or does it change from shot to shot or from day to day?

bowl1820
01-24-2016, 06:28 PM
I try to focus on one thing only, whether its ball position or hand position throughout the swing etc..

This allows me to focus on some aspect of my game and helps quiet the extraneous thoughts which can distract me from making a good shot.

It's hard to do sometimes, when that happens I refer to it as losing my focus.

When I'm focused, I can just get on approach and go. I have one thought in my mind, I know everything else is going where it's suppose to so I'm not worried about them.

When I lose that focus, I start trying to control everything. Is this right, is that right, when that happens then everything gets off.

Bowlers can be big control freaks and when you start over thinking things and trying to control them all you get into trouble. A good bowler should be focused on thing when they are on the approach.

djp1080
01-24-2016, 06:30 PM
For the longest time I've had the tendency to pull up on my backswing after having turned my hand counterclockwise as well. This is the worst of both. So I've come up with a mantra that seems to be working well for me and that is to say to myself, "Keep your thumb right, keep your fingers under the ball and behind it, RELAX." Then go. I've been tucking my right elbow into my torso a bit and keeping my forearm parallel to the deck which helps me relax my right arm, hand and fingers while all the weight of the ball is in my left hand before pushing away. Been incorporating a cross-over step on step 2 of a five step approach which has helped me stay on line a bit better on both my first shot and also on spare shots. Until all of this becomes part of my normal game, I'm going to keep up with this technique. So I guess I always use the same "Swing Thought" these days...

AlexNC
01-24-2016, 06:55 PM
I try to think of a few keys related to whatever it is I have been working on. Lately I've also been trying - though not always successfully - to limit these thoughts to "do's" and not "don'ts".

Amyers
01-24-2016, 07:16 PM
I try to focus exclusively on my mark and path I want my ball to take. Unfortunately when I'm struggling other things start to intrude.

epiepenburg
01-24-2016, 07:27 PM
once my feet are set, then it's nothing on the mind except focusing on my mark.

TonyInPortland
01-24-2016, 10:00 PM
I don't think about anything; maybe that's my problem.

Hot_pocket
01-25-2016, 02:11 AM
i focus on making sure the ball feels comfortable on my hand and my mark. When i start leaking the ball out or pulling then i try to focus on getting the push out going in the right direction.

mc_runner
01-25-2016, 08:32 AM
I try to focus on my mark, and stop thinking about anything else... let muscle memory do the trick. When I start thinking or focusing on a certain area of my approach or swing I screw up other parts.

I try to have a song in my head as well. Helps with the focus.

However if something is off in my swing, I'll try to pinpoint what happened and fix it (thinking about it after the shot).

Jaescrub
01-25-2016, 09:01 AM
I try to get my eyes and hand working on the same page. If I can get a good feel down in practice I tend to stick with it if not then it ends up being a long night. What feel the same as the week before looks very different to others ha ha ha.

scottymoney
01-25-2016, 09:21 AM
As soon as I pick up the ball my brain stops all thoughts other than foot position and target. I get to my spot on the approach and then put my hand in the ball at that point it is all about hitting my target.

Aslan
01-25-2016, 01:59 PM
I try to think of a few keys related to whatever it is I have been working on. Lately I've also been trying - though not always successfully - to limit these thoughts to "do's" and not "don'ts".

I refuse to answer this question as the answer only further supports the belief that I'm a mental case. :eek:

Grouperdawg
01-25-2016, 03:40 PM
I get my feet settled on my mark and then visualize the line of the ball, let out a breath and then let if fly. My only thought is the line of the ball, once I exhale its deep concentration

jab5325
01-25-2016, 04:02 PM
Lately, I try to remember not to screw up!

All kidding aside, my usual focus is my mark.

BrianG
01-26-2016, 08:59 AM
When I get in my approach I try to clear my mind of everything. As I am walking up to get my ball I will tell myself to stay slow and relaxed.

Tony
01-26-2016, 09:17 AM
Once I get left foot set I get my knees slightly bent and focus in on the target, I think of the path I want to see the ball take.