PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With My Throw - Video Inside

deputy865
01-26-2016, 12:53 PM
I'm in 2 leagues this year and my scores the last 10 weeks or so have been atrocious! I need some help figuring it out.

My ball used to react very well and it was easy for me to pick a spot and predict it. Now, I'm getting basically no break out of my ball and its extremely frustrating.. especially when you throw with rotation and your ball slides down the alley and maybe breaks a few boards over. At this point, I might as well throw a straight ball!

Ball: C-Sytem 4.5, 15 pounds. The ball itself has been used for quite some time now and many many games. I've tried wiping it down, washing it in the dishwasher, etc.. No changes. I would think a new ball is in order, but I can't get any others balls to break much either.

I've had my friend throw my ball (2 finger bowler) and he can get the reaction out of it like I used to. I've also tried throwing one of his reactive balls and I still get my slip and slide, no reaction result. I've also even gone back to my 2-finger style and still nothing.

I throw with just my finger tips, even my thumb. Its hard for me to verify my speed as some lanes say I throw 15.5-16mph. and others down the way say 18~ mph. Other guys on the alley throw similar speeds and can still get a reaction out of the lanes.. If I slow my throw down to 11-12mph, I can get more reaction, but Its really hard for me to throw consistently at that tempo. I've also tried moving around, standing in different spots, aiming differently, etc.. Not getting much of a reaction still.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. My scores are embarrassing :(

Below is a picture of my ball with a piece of tape on it when I was trying to find my PAP. I was sort of guessing at it and haven't quite found it perfectly yet, but this is where it was when thrown in the video.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t52/deputy865/9A0957AB-F73F-40E7-9E25-1B7322C5CE03_zpsqnxwwlgz.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/deputy865/media/9A0957AB-F73F-40E7-9E25-1B7322C5CE03_zpsqnxwwlgz.jpg.html)

Video of throw. Watch where my ball lands, rotation and how much it doesn't react. I kind of dropped my ball a little bit, hence the bounce, but it didn't affect how the ball usually travels down the alley. Link to video so you can go full screen for a better look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dXU7yfIwR8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dXU7yfIwR8

vdubtx
01-26-2016, 01:07 PM
Your release of the ball is at about the 27-28 mark and slides through a lot of mid lane oil. Have you tried moving right and getting the ball outside a little bit more? With your release, you aren't getting enough revs on the ball to necessitate using such an inside line.

My $.02

deputy865
01-26-2016, 02:28 PM
Your release of the ball is at about the 27-28 mark and slides through a lot of mid lane oil. Have you tried moving right and getting the ball outside a little bit more? With your release, you aren't getting enough revs on the ball to necessitate using such an inside line.

My $.02

Yes, I've tried moving over to the right quite a bit and I will still slide and get very little reaction. More than before, but not as much as I used to get. So my release is the culprit?

I used to line up in the same spots (for a long time) and throw through the middle of the lane and the ball would come back pretty violently right into the pocket. Not sure what I changed or what happened... but I seem to be stuck with it.

Shane

Amyers
01-26-2016, 02:38 PM
Look like the bend in the elbow could be the culprit here causing your hand to spin the ball more than add revs. It's hard to tell in the slow motion but I believe your approach is rushed I would suggest trying to slow down and let the arm straighten out and see if that helps.

deputy865
01-26-2016, 02:39 PM
Look like the bend in the elbow could be the culprit here causing your hand to spin the ball more than add revs. It's hard to tell in the slow motion but I believe your approach is rushed I would suggest trying to slow down and let the arm straighten out and see if that helps.

My approach is rather quick... I'll admit that. When should my arm be straight? When I came back through? When I release the ball?

fordman1
01-26-2016, 02:51 PM
What is the bandage on the ball for? Is it a conventional grip? Are you trying to be a 2 hander?

deputy865
01-26-2016, 03:01 PM
What is the bandage on the ball for? Is it a conventional grip? Are you trying to be a 2 hander?

I was trying to find my PAP. I was thinking that I was getting rotation but possibly not getting very much of an angle of rotation, causing my ball not to break much. Seems there might be an issue with my release/throw though.

I use 3 fingers in my grip and I'm not trying to be a 2 handed bowler. I tried it, it feels too awkward. However, I do use both hands as sort of a stabilizer when I'm approaching. In the video, you will see me use both hands approaching and when starting to bring the ball back, but I pull my left hand away before I release.

Shane

fordman1
01-26-2016, 04:12 PM
Ok I watched a few more times. Get a new ball. Get it drilled fingertip. Get the ball out side of the 2nd arrow the middle is flooded. You can start there but at some point you need dry boards or the ball hydroplanes. The release looks fine as does the approach.

deputy865
01-26-2016, 04:23 PM
Ok I watched a few more times. Get a new ball. Get it drilled fingertip. Get the ball out side of the 2nd arrow the middle is flooded. You can start there but at some point you need dry boards or the ball hydroplanes. The release looks fine as does the approach.

New ball was my last ditch effort. I was just thinking it was me being that I couldn't get any sort of reaction out of a friends ball... He however could get a lot out of mine?

JasonNJ
01-26-2016, 09:05 PM
To me it looks like the ball is falling off your hand before you can get any significant amount of rotation on it and that you are just spinning the ball. I would tell you the next time you bowl is to try to focus on feeling the ball coming off your fingers and keeping your fingers on the ball as long as possible.

Amyers
01-26-2016, 09:22 PM
My approach is rather quick... I'll admit that. When should my arm be straight? When I came back through? When I release the ball?

I'm not an expert on the thumbless style but all the guys I know who use it have a much straighter arm through the backswing and through the release. From the video your arm is bent at the elbow throughout your swing.

The ball your using has it been fitted to you. It appears from your picture to be drilled with a conventional finger holes but thumbless? I've never seen that. I would think that would cause the ball to come of your fingers early and lose rotation.

epiepenburg
01-26-2016, 09:44 PM
Is there no thumb hole in that ball? The guys that I know that throw thumbless (including a teammate of mine) still have thumb holes drilled in the ball.

It definitely seems like you are trying too hard with your arm to get the ball to spin and not getting enough hand in it. There is a guy in my Monday league that throws identical to your video, house ball, low at the line, etc. his ball looks the same going down the lane, barely any movement to the ball.

deputy865
01-27-2016, 08:35 AM
I'm not an expert on the thumbless style but all the guys I know who use it have a much straighter arm through the backswing and through the release. From the video your arm is bent at the elbow throughout your swing.

The ball your using has it been fitted to you. It appears from your picture to be drilled with a conventional finger holes but thumbless? I've never seen that. I would think that would cause the ball to come of your fingers early and lose rotation.

I do use all 3 fingers, so yes, my ball does have a thumb hole lol

The position/depth of the holes drilled in my ball are to my liking and fitted for me. I find it comfortable. Now if the ball was drilled properly, I couldn't tell you. In the past though, this ball has hooked phenomenally and produced some great scores for me.

Only reason I took a picture of my ball was to show you roughly where my PAP is in relation to the top 2 holes in my ball.

Amyers
01-27-2016, 11:00 AM
I do use all 3 fingers, so yes, my ball does have a thumb hole lol

The position/depth of the holes drilled in my ball are to my liking and fitted for me. I find it comfortable. Now if the ball was drilled properly, I couldn't tell you. In the past though, this ball has hooked phenomenally and produced some great scores for me.

Only reason I took a picture of my ball was to show you roughly where my PAP is in relation to the top 2 holes in my ball.

Ok I just wondered as it appears to be an unusual setup. My two best pieces of advice are to have the ball resurfaced if you haven't and to experiment with slowing on the approach and straitening that elbow out and see if that helps any. Without having a before and after video it's hard to say for sure if it's completely a ball or a you problem. Either way the above items wouldn't hurt anything regardless.

AlexNC
01-27-2016, 11:14 AM
To me it looks like the ball is falling off your hand before you can get any significant amount of rotation on it and that you are just spinning the ball. I would tell you the next time you bowl is to try to focus on feeling the ball coming off your fingers and keeping your fingers on the ball as long as possible.

It never occurred to me until recently when I was reading something Rob posted, but thinking of rolling the ball - in place of other verbiage- has made a big difference in my swing and release.

Also, the title of the original post uses the word throw - which is something I have dealt with in the past (as opposed to a free swing).

fokai73
01-27-2016, 01:50 PM
I'll point out one thing in this video. and I'll start backwards, or from the release. There are more things I see, but one is enough...

You have Early timing. Sliding and releasing at the same time gets little to no leverage. The slide foot must plant or stop sliding first, then the ball is released after. Think of a punch. If the feet isn't planted to the ground, the punch will be weak. It's a push punch, kinda like your release - weak. And as under you are on the ball, it's a shame you're not getting the full potential of your release and ball motion. Many bowlers would love to be below the balls equator upon release like you are and not over the top.

Pitchers don't let the ball come off their fingers while their foot is still moving forward and up in the air. They will be off balance at release and the ball has nothing behind it. Their foot must plant, your foot must plant. No plant, no leverage, no true ball motion. A good release will feel like a back up ball......

Again this is just one thing I see, but there are more things in your physical game that I noticed that could be looked at. Like your footwork, push away, spine tilt...... finding a qualified coach is best for you to better understand how important a good set up and a sound approach is to produce quality release and ball motion.

deputy865
01-27-2016, 02:32 PM
I'll point out one thing in this video. and I'll start backwards, or from the release. There are more things I see, but one is enough...

You have Early timing. Sliding and releasing at the same time gets little to no leverage. The slide foot must plant or stop sliding first, then the ball is released after. Think of a punch. If the feet isn't planted to the ground, the punch will be weak. It's a push punch, kinda like your release - weak. And as under you are on the ball, it's a shame you're not getting the full potential of your release and ball motion. Many bowlers would love to be below the balls equator upon release like you are and not over the top.

Pitchers don't let the ball come off their fingers while their foot is still moving forward and up in the air. They will be off balance at release and the ball has nothing behind it. Their foot must plant, your foot must plant. No plant, no leverage, no true ball motion. A good release will feel like a back up ball......

Again this is just one thing I see, but there are more things in your physical game that I noticed that could be looked at. Like your footwork, push away, spine tilt...... finding a qualified coach is best for you to better understand how important a good set up and a sound approach is to produce quality release and ball motion.

Appreciate the insight. I'll try to play with my approach first, see if that yields anything different.. Or at the very least, try to break the habit I have now. I think I can see how my release SHOULD be, I just need to feel/do it!

Shane

fokai73
01-30-2016, 07:35 PM
Appreciate the insight. I'll try to play with my approach first, see if that yields anything different.. Or at the very least, try to break the habit I have now. I think I can see how my release SHOULD be, I just need to feel/do it!

Shane

Good luck

fokai73
01-30-2016, 07:35 PM

Shane

Good luck n bowl well

Tony
01-30-2016, 08:20 PM

Very good point about the timing ! The approach will need some adjustment to get the arm and feet in time.