PDA

View Full Version : Ball speed monitors

Timmyb
01-28-2016, 11:50 PM
Does anyone have any idea how accurate the speed displayed on the screens at bowling alleys actually are? I bowled at one house a while back, and was showing close to 18, but at another it was under 16. I didn't feel slow, so what gives?

AlexNC
01-29-2016, 07:18 AM
Does anyone have any idea how accurate the speed displayed on the screens at bowling alleys actually are? I bowled at one house a while back, and was showing close to 18, but at another it was under 16. I didn't feel slow, so what gives?

While I can't give a definitive answer, I can tell you that any house I bowl at gives a different result. There is one house in particular that is unique as it gives the speed on the monitor, but they have another speed display mounted at the pins - and they are two different speeds. Haven't bowled there in a while, but perhaps they were measuring both speed at release and at the pins, but not sure.

You can get a more accurate measure of your speed by finding the elapsed time from release to pins using a stopwatch:

3.0 sec./13.9 mph.
2.9 sec./14.4 mph.
2.8 sec./14.9 mph.
2.7 sec./15.4 mph.
2.6 sec./16.0 mph.
2.5 sec./16.7 mph.
2.4 sec./17.4 mph.
2.3 sec./18.1 mph.
2.2 sec./19.0 mph.
2.1 sec./19.9 mph.
2.0 sec./20.8 mph

Amyers
01-29-2016, 08:53 AM
While I can't give a definitive answer, I can tell you that any house I bowl at gives a different result. There is one house in particular that is unique as it gives the speed on the monitor, but they have another speed display mounted at the pins - and they are two different speeds. Haven't bowled there in a while, but perhaps they were measuring both speed at release and at the pins, but not sure.

You can get a more accurate measure of your speed by finding the elapsed time from release to pins using a stopwatch:

3.0 sec./13.9 mph.
2.9 sec./14.4 mph.
2.8 sec./14.9 mph.
2.7 sec./15.4 mph.
2.6 sec./16.0 mph.
2.5 sec./16.7 mph.
2.4 sec./17.4 mph.
2.3 sec./18.1 mph.
2.2 sec./19.0 mph.
2.1 sec./19.9 mph.
2.0 sec./20.8 mph

Good info Alex. The speed monitors at bowling alley are very inaccurate.

mc_runner
01-29-2016, 09:02 AM
Alex, is that speed overall? Or at the pins? I remember seeing a conversion table awhile back (probably posted by bowl1820) but can't remember where that speed was measured at since the ball slows down as it transitions to hook and roll

Amyers
01-29-2016, 09:14 AM
Alex, is that speed overall? Or at the pins? I remember seeing a conversion table awhile back (probably posted by bowl1820) but can't remember where that speed was measured at since the ball slows down as it transitions to hook and roll

Could be wrong but I think the stop watch method gives you the average speed not at release or pins. I'm sure bowl1820 will correct me if I'm wrong.

AlexNC
01-29-2016, 09:59 AM
(arr
Could be wrong but I think the stop watch method gives you the average speed not at release or pins. I'm sure bowl1820 will correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm pretty sure its average speed. There is a way to use reference points for the speed at release and the speed at the pins (arrows etc.) I'm pretty sure its average speed. There is a way to use reference points for the speed at release and the speed at the pins. If I recall correctly, the Storm VLS spreadsheet has you calculate speed at release using the moment the ball leaves your hand and then crosses the arrows.

Goose
01-29-2016, 10:03 AM
To add to AlexNC's comment, I watched a youtube by Talk Bowling and they gave this calculation for ball speed and I cross referenced it to the ball speed measured at the lane and it was on target.

41.14/seconds from your stop watch = ball speed

bowl1820
01-29-2016, 10:07 AM
Yes the stopwatch method gives you average ball speed.

Ball speed monitors are notorious for being off, usually they don't keep the maintenance up on them. When they are working okay, The angle ball pass's through the sensor can affect the reading somewhat. Lane conditions have a affect also.

The main thing to use the monitor speed for is to watch for variation in speed. If your slowing down or speeding up.

There are 3 basic speed measurements:

Ball Speed at Release:
This is the main one that is usually asked for when giving your bowler spec's. It's measured in the first 15 feet of the lane this used instead of the whole lane to attempt to take friction, as well as ball motion out of the equation. You typically measure this using the video camera method.

Speed at the Pins:
This is the speed usually showed on the monitors, the angle the ball goes through the sensors has a small affect on the speed readout.

The rule of thumb to figure your off hand release is to add 3 mph to the monitor speed. Example: 15mph on the monitor plus 3mph gives you a release speed of 18mph.

The closest way to get your off hand speed using the monitor is to roll a plastic ball straight down the middle of the lane.

Overall speed:
This is the one measured using the stop watch method.

There is a IPhone/IOS app called "Bowl Speed" which is surprisingly accurate, but you need someone to operate it while you bowl.

NewToBowling
01-29-2016, 10:53 AM
Using the monitors your ball speed will be different from strike to spare ball. Your spare ball will measure a bit faster as it is going straight vs angle on strike ball. At least that has been my experience

ChuckR
01-29-2016, 11:44 AM
I find the best ball speed monitor is the pins. If I am to fast I slide past the head pin. To slow and splits. I haven't figured out what knowing a ball speed ahead of time offers.

Timmyb
01-30-2016, 06:04 AM
I find the best ball speed monitor is the pins. If I am to fast I slide past the head pin. To slow and splits. I haven't figured out what knowing a ball speed ahead of time offers.

In my case, since I'm getting older, I'd like to know if I'm starting to slip by the third game. I used to be faster as I went along. Not so much any more.

ChuckR
01-30-2016, 09:50 AM
In my case, since I'm getting older, I'd like to know if I'm starting to slip by the third game. I used to be faster as I went along. Not so much any more.

I find the same thing. Thursday, I threw 248, 214, 201, 196. Looking back afterwards I realized I was getting tired and coffee was not the answer.

Timmyb
01-30-2016, 11:54 AM
I find the same thing. Thursday, I threw 248, 214, 201, 196. Looking back afterwards I realized I was getting tired and coffee was not the answer.

Last time I threw 6 games, I was gassed by the end, although my six game series was 1352!

foreverincamo
01-30-2016, 03:51 PM
I don't use the MPH readout as anything more than to compare what happened with any particular shot with what speed was read. If I went light, slow the next shot down and see what a mile an hour slower does anything to help. At my house it seems that the more extreme the angle entry into the pocket, the slower it reads.

Timmyb
01-30-2016, 05:59 PM
At my house it seems that the more extreme the angle entry into the pocket, the slower it reads.

That would make sense. I was really bending it the last game.

Aslan
01-30-2016, 07:35 PM
I don't use the MPH readout as anything more than to compare what happened with any particular shot with what speed was read. If I went light, slow the next shot down and see what a mile an hour slower does anything to help. At my house it seems that the more extreme the angle entry into the pocket, the slower it reads.

The more extreme the entry angle, the slower the ball is going.

The two thumbless bowlers on my Wednesday team have very high RPMs...put a ton of their body into the shot (as most high rpm guys do)...and you'd think they were throwing the ball super fast...but the camera reads 9-12mph.

Why? The ball must slow down to hook. The revs...simply are the "brakes" that allow the ball to change direction.

It's like a car on a slippery road. If you're going 100mph and then cut the wheel...you'll probably skid...until the wheels can gain traction and grab the pavement. During that period of time...the car is decelerating even if you have the pedal to the floor...until it is able to go slow enough that the wheels can change it's direction.

The anchor on our team is also a decent spare shooter with the same strike ball and just coming up the back of it...but when he gets really mad....he uses a light house ball to pick up the spare by throwing it as hard as he can up the back of it...and last time the camera read over 27mph. I think his normal strike ball shot is 12-14mph. It has probably 22-25mph put INTO it....but most of that energy is going in the wrong/other direction than the direction he is throwing the ball.

bowl1820
01-30-2016, 08:03 PM
The more extreme the entry angle, the slower the ball is going.

In regard to the monitor sensor and how they measure speed. The angle the ball passes through the optical speed sensors located down lane, Does have a bearing on the speed measurements.

Balls traveling at the same speed, passing through the sensors at different angles will show slightly different speeds. The more extreme the angle, the longer it takes the ball to pass through the sensors and thus show a slightly slower speed.

foreverincamo
01-31-2016, 07:30 PM
We have a guy who averages 23 mph on his strike shot. His spare shot on 10 pins has so much speed the ball has bounced out of the pit and come all the way back to him.

billf
01-31-2016, 10:14 PM
Studies have shown the ideal RELEASE speed is 18-21mph. Where the cameras read it down lane are only useful to compare for that lane only. Oil amount, lane surface, coverstock, axis tilt and axis rotation are just a few things that will affect the down lane speed.

Release speed is easy. Most coaching programs have it built in but the old school way works still. Video with a camera and time the ball from foul line to arrows. Multiply by 4 and use the previous table to get your release speed.