PDA

View Full Version : Japan Inventational

Turkey Track Hammer
01-31-2016, 11:04 AM
Anyone going to watch it today ?

Turkey Track Hammer
01-31-2016, 04:08 PM
Congrats to the 54 year old Amleto Monacelli, good stuff.

got_a_300
01-31-2016, 04:43 PM
Yeah just finished watching it a few minutes ago I thought Chris Barnes
was going to make it to the final match but that ball change in the first
part of the game just about did him in.

I'm glad to see Amleto back in the winner's circle again on the regular
PBA Tour it has been quite a while since he won like 10 years or so on
the regular tour.

RobLV1
01-31-2016, 08:18 PM
I loved seeing Chris Barnes on TV. Bowlers can learn so much from watching him bowl: he doesn't throw the ball, he rolls the ball. Take note!

AlexNC
01-31-2016, 09:11 PM
I thought the mix of finalists made for an interesting show.

djp1080
01-31-2016, 09:14 PM
Yes, it was good to see Barnes back. Looked like he wasn't quite ready yet though. Wasn't John Szczerbinski rolling the ball? I wish I could emulate his style. Tried to take notes... :)

Briantime
01-31-2016, 09:46 PM
I watched and really enjoyed it. I did not know there was such a long history of PBA bowling in Japan.

NewToBowling
02-01-2016, 10:17 AM
I loved seeing Chris Barnes on TV. Bowlers can learn so much from watching him bowl: he doesn't throw the ball, he rolls the ball. Take note!

He definitely has great form (from what I can see).

AlexNC
02-01-2016, 11:01 AM
Yes, it was good to see Barnes back. Looked like he wasn't quite ready yet though. Wasn't John Szczerbinski rolling the ball? I wish I could emulate his style. Tried to take notes... :)

I also enjoy Szczerbinski. I know he didn't advance in the stepladder but I like watching his game. He makes it look so easy. Randy Pedersen kept mentioning "efficiency of motion" when talking about him.

NewToBowling
02-01-2016, 12:54 PM
I think the ultimate "efficiency of motion" bowler is Mike Fagan. It's almost like he is sleep-bowling.

Too bad he is taking a break from bowling.

shadd
02-01-2016, 01:20 PM

I was very interested in 2 things from Barnes...he throws a 16# ball even coming off of a very recent back surgery and he doesn't use a "spare ball". The explanation for him using no spare ball was even more interesting...limited to balls he could travel with on flights so he taught himself to shoot spares with his strike ball.

JasonNJ
02-01-2016, 01:49 PM
I watched this last night on YouTube and Amleto was in a zone. Barnes looked pretty good but he did look like he was having some discomfort in his back and yeah I found him not using a spare ball pretty interesting too. He came really close to missing the 10 pin spare a few times.

Turkey Track Hammer
02-01-2016, 05:24 PM
I was very interested in 2 things from Barnes...he throws a 16# ball even coming off of a very recent back surgery and he doesn't use a "spare ball". The explanation for him using no spare ball was even more interesting...limited to balls he could travel with on flights so he taught himself to shoot spares with his strike ball.

No spare ball, now that is interesting for sure.

RobLV1
02-01-2016, 09:05 PM
OMG, first there's Norm Duke, and now everyone keys in on Chris Barnes not using plastic. I think I can safely say that no one on these boards has even 1/4 of the control of the roll of the ball as either of these Hall of Famers. Use plastic, PLEASE!

got_a_300
02-02-2016, 04:24 PM
Use plastic, PLEASE!

Yes use plastic unless you want those averages to drop
by missing a bunch of 10 pins/7pins.

BrianG
02-03-2016, 10:21 AM
Yes use plastic unless you want those averages to drop
by missing a bunch of 10 pins/7pins.

I do not use a plastic ball when shooting at the 10 pin and my average has not suffered because of it. If you know how to break your wrist and throw it end over end I don't think a plastic ball is necessary. Now I have been doing this for years and it feels natural to shoot at the ten pin like that and I rarely miss. That being said if I was just learning how to bowl or struggling to keep the ball from hooking away from the 10 pin I would definitely suggest using a plastic ball.

NewToBowling
02-03-2016, 12:39 PM
OMG, first there's Norm Duke, and now everyone keys in on Chris Barnes not using plastic. I think I can safely say that no one on these boards has even 1/4 of the control of the roll of the ball as either of these Hall of Famers. Use plastic, PLEASE!

I don't think anyone was advocating non-use of spare ball, just making an observation. And Randy Pederson's explanation was spot on. When you want to lower your travel load, getting rid of the unitasker plastic ball is a good decision when you're a PBA pro

RobLV1
02-03-2016, 01:15 PM
I don't think anyone was advocating non-use of spare ball, just making an observation. And Randy Pederson's explanation was spot on. When you want to lower your travel load, getting rid of the unitasker plastic ball is a good decision when you're a PBA pro

Unfortunately, I hear people advocating the use of the strike ball for spares virtually every time I bowl, and very often on these boards. Many of these bowlers point to Norm Duke as a justification for this practice. I think you can understand why I inwardly groaned when Randy Pedersen gave them another high profile name to misuse to justify their bad decision.

AlexNC
02-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Unfortunately, I hear people advocating the use of the strike ball for spares virtually every time I bowl, and very often on these boards. Many of these bowlers point to Norm Duke as a justification for this practice. I think you can understand why I inwardly groaned when Randy Pedersen gave them another high profile name to misuse to justify their bad decision.

I catch flack from some of my extended family for my use of a plastic spare ball. "You should learn to use your strike ball for spares." They also get on me for dropping my shoulder etc. etc. I just kind of take it in stride and keep doing what I am doing.

JasonNJ
02-03-2016, 04:43 PM
I catch flack from some of my extended family for my use of a plastic spare ball. "You should learn to use your strike ball for spares." They also get on me for dropping my shoulder etc. etc. I just kind of take it in stride and keep doing what I am doing.

You should ask them why almost all the pros use a spare ball if using a strike ball for spares is better.

got_a_300
02-04-2016, 11:53 PM
You should ask them why almost all the pros use a spare ball if using a strike ball for spares is better.

100% agree with that for sure.