PDA

View Full Version : Anyone participating in any tournaments coming up?

The KingPin
02-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Hello to all.

I am just wondering if anyone is participating in any bowling tournaments coming up? If so are you nervous or excited?

Jord_84
02-07-2009, 11:33 AM
I've got the women's city tournament coming up. I'm not nervous....I'm bowling singles, my mom is my partner for doubles...but I still need a team.

Singles and doubles are at the house I bowl my Tuesday morning league on, with the wood lanes, but I'm used to them so it should be good.

Team is held at my family's bowling alley, with the synthetic lanes.
I'm hoping I can get my new ball and practice on the synthetic lanes before the team tournament, since I'll likely be using that ball.

Iceman
02-07-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm doing a Kentucky house Crone Classic tourney Tomorrow, and then I have 1 other house tourney in March. Then it's the State in April and Nationals in May. I'm looking forward to them all, I'm more anxious then anything, to get to walk into new houses and see how I do that day expecially with the new style I have been using.

I do know that when you go to new houses, you tend to think less and just bowl. That's how I have been. At many tournaments, I have placed high, but not cashed everytime. I do win bracket money, so it's worth it. I usually only did 2 - 3 tournaments a year, but I've already got 4 in this season and 4 more scheduled. We may even do the executive Derby around Kentucky Derby weekend, which is pretty big. It's ABC conditions or it has been in the past. I hope state is tough so I can get a small taste of what Nationals is like.

Nationals I'm a little weary of, As anyone used the shipping services for Nationals? Are they worth it, safe and reliable?

I'm only planning on taking 3, aggress, medium, and polished. I know that will not be what I need, but I don't know what to expect, so I should have something to play. I'm going with 3 other people that are first timers, so we can all get the jitters out of the way without pressure of team win. We may even due fine, I just recall in the past, where people came back saying I shot a 110 and ended with a 372. And this guy avg 220 at home. Lol, goes to show what he really is.

I'm looking forward to it - should be a great experience and hopefully, I'll learn something. Maybe even invest in a bigger ball carrier???

ThongPrincess
02-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Nationals I'm a little weary of, As anyone used the shipping services for Nationals? Are they worth it, safe and reliable?

I used Bowling Ball Express last year from LA area to Alb. It was fantastic! I recommend you ship 4, it is cheaper. I shipped 4 and brought my spare ball on the plane with me. I was going to ship all 5 back and the price nearly doubled for the single ball. I cancelled the single ball and took it back with me.

It is easy to use, print out the form from the Bowl.com site and drop the balls off at a UPS Store. The equipment is shipped right to the venue. I put the 4 balls in 2 2-ball totes inside a case box I got from the pro shop I frequent. The boxes are stored at the venue by Team Squad time. Anytime I'm flying to National's I'll use it. Much nicer than lugging the equipment through the airport.

As for upcoming tournaments, I'll be bowling our local - North Los Angeles County USBC Tournament Feb. 28th Team and March 1st D/S. Then is Nationals in Vegas the end of June and the Petersen Classic in Chicago mid July. As for nerves, no. I've bowled enough tournaments that they do not scare me. I do get a few butterflies at the start of Nationals, but they are gone quickly.

We were trying to get a team together for the Women's Nationals in Reno, but it fell through. We had hoped to bowl right after bowling in Vegas and the dates were filled, leaving us with no dates open that worked for the 5 of us.:(

seniorstroker
02-16-2009, 05:03 PM
I've got a 8gm on Sun/22 feb, TNBA @ Surfside,SC in MAR, & NC state tourny in May..I'm a little nervous & more excited that I get to bowl on something different than THS..that is the only ones I have scheduled, but there is always several tournys on any given weekend in & around NC/SC..bowl good

jaws1945
02-17-2009, 10:10 AM
[QUOTE=ThongPrincess;5770]I used Bowling Ball Express last year from LA area to Alb. It was fantastic! I recommend you ship 4, it is cheaper. I shipped 4 and brought my spare ball on the plane with me. I was going to ship all 5 back and the price nearly doubled for the single ball. I cancelled the single ball and took it back with me.
It is easy to use, print out the form from the Bowl.com site and drop the balls off at a UPS Store. The equipment is shipped right to the venue. I put the 4 balls in 2 2-ball totes inside a case box I got from the pro shop I frequent. The boxes are stored at the venue by Team Squad time. Anytime I'm flying to National's I'll use it. Much nicer than lugging the equipment through the airport.

Re:
The problem is you are without your equipment for a week. Becomes a problem with league bowling. In 2007 I used FEDEX and shipped direct to the hotel I was staying. it was a few bucks more, but it worked out ok. I wish you could get an estimate of the cost before you print out the label on Bowl.com

ThongPrincess
02-17-2009, 11:32 PM
Re:
The problem is you are without your equipment for a week. Becomes a problem with league bowling. In 2007 I used FEDEX and shipped direct to the hotel I was staying. it was a few bucks more, but it worked out ok. I wish you could get an estimate of the cost before you print out the label on Bowl.com

I am fortunate on 2 counts - first I have enough equipment that I could ship the 4 and still have a few to chose from for league - second I live on the West Coast so the time was not so long. I shipped on Tuesday at about 4:30PM and the equipment arrived in Alb. Thursday. I shipped the equipment home Thursday early afternoon and it was home by Monday.

I'll be driving this year since it is only about a 4 1/2 - 5 hr drive to Vegas. Though right now airfare is $69/each way ;)

Jord_84
02-20-2009, 11:12 PM
yay! by a bizarre twist of fate...I found a group of women that needed someone to fill a spot on their team for state at the last minute. So I'm going to Quicy for the Illinois womens state bowling tournament in 2 weeks. Oddly enough, one of the girls on the team was our varsity team captain in high school. It's going to be a blast, I'm giddy!