PDA

View Full Version : World Tour scoring system

NewToBowling
02-22-2016, 09:56 AM
Watched the finals of the World Tour bowling yesterday (came on after the Players Championship. Didn't even know it was on. My DVR just recorded it)

Looks like they tweaked the scoring a bit from previous years. At least now they shoot the spare. In previous years it was one ball pin count each frame and higher pin count gets the "point". No spare shooting whatsoever.

No it's scored almost like the traditional system except you only get one frame in the 10th. A strike and you get 30 points automatically. Not much 10th frame drama.

vdubtx
02-22-2016, 02:23 PM
30 points for each strike. Count + 10 pins for spares. I kinda like it.

LyalC52
02-22-2016, 02:41 PM
it inflates scores too much for my tastes
and takes away the drama in filling the tenth

NewToBowling
02-22-2016, 03:46 PM

Yes, that is the biggest concern. Someone having to either strike out or two strikes and count adds drama.

epiepenburg
02-22-2016, 03:53 PM

I agree.

NYMIKE
02-22-2016, 05:35 PM
Bowling scoring system has been in place for over 100 years and served us fine. No need to change things. Idea that people do not know how to keep score and cater to them is stupid, it's like I have a co-worker who does not know how to calculate percent. I asked him "how do you know that management is paying you time and a half for overtime"?

JasonNJ
02-22-2016, 05:42 PM
Bowling scoring system has been in place for over 100 years and served us fine. No need to change things. Idea that people do not know how to keep score and cater to them is stupid, it's like I have a co-worker who does not know how to calculate percent. I asked him "how do you know that management is paying you time and a half for overtime"?

I agree. Plus with the new scoring system, certain scores are impossible to get like 290+ is not a combination that can be done.

shadd
02-22-2016, 05:46 PM
Yes, that is the biggest concern. Someone having to either strike out or two strikes and count adds drama.

It lacks the emphasis on the foundation frame as well, which is crucial to scoring in the standard system.

Jekyll & Hyde
02-22-2016, 10:36 PM
my opinion, i still like the old system and the new world system would get me too confused. also, there is not much of that 10th frame drama that happens

NewToBowling
02-23-2016, 10:03 AM
Another factor is there is no reward for stringing strikes together. Each frame is independent of each other so it doesn't matter whether you had a turkey or three strikes two frames apart.

Another version they could use is "golf" scoring (read this on another board). Basically each frame is Par 2. Strike and your score is -1. Spare and it is 0. You can take as many shots as you need to knock down the 10 pins but your score will increase accordingly. If you need three shots to knock down the pins you are +1, etc...A perfect game is -12

Ishkabibble
02-23-2016, 10:24 AM
They are creating higher scores and keeping the games closer. If you go all game and only throw 1 9/ in the say 5th frame you roll a 289. The old way ia a 279. The score is inflated 10 pins.

billf
02-29-2016, 04:44 PM
No tenth frame drama? 5 of the 6 games came down to the tenth frame where a strike was needed. Belmo was too careful and left the 4-10 split. Convert and they tie with a Fagan strike.
As for league bowlers not knowing how to score, shame on them but it's true. But these changes are attempts to get the general public interested and simplifying the scoring was a huge concern during international polls.
Everybody wants changes to help the sport until charges are attempted.
Personally, I would love to try a summer league with this scoring system. It takes the game as a whole and not just small segments of it to determine a winner. As for the inflated scores, look at leagues. Those are inflated by the conditions. It's keeping up with the pace, whatever it may be that matters and not the scoring pace itself.

SAbowler
02-29-2016, 05:04 PM
I wonder how the WBT scoring would work in a handicap league/tournament or if it would even be possible.