PDA

View Full Version : Month long slump now....

foreverincamo
03-03-2016, 10:31 PM
12 games now under average. Each game tonite with one split and one missed spare. Last game I hit the pocket 11 straight times. 9-, 9/, 9/, X, 8,1( pocket 7-10) 9/, X, 9/,9/,9/,9.
I tried different lines, balls, and speeds. All 10 pins with the exception of a solid 9. To top it off, three guys on the other team, all sub-190 averages, shot 680 or better. Really? Got swept again.

foreverincamo
03-03-2016, 10:34 PM
I did finally shoot over 200, but still under my average, which has fallen to 206.

RobLV1
03-04-2016, 06:01 AM
Looking at the clues that you have provided; lack of carry of the the ten pin, pocket seven-ten, solid nine, and the fact that lower average bowlers are killing the shot, I suspect that there has been some subtle change in the oil pattern at your bowling center. This may or may not have been an intentional pattern change. It could be a change in how the machine is being maintained or a change in the type of oil or cleaner that is being used. What type of surface do you keep on your bowling balls? Do most have surface, or polish?

jab5325
03-04-2016, 09:19 AM
I feel you, brother!

My FBA is well over 9, and while I've been averaging a touch over 190 since late January, I've developed a maddening tendency to tug my spares or have my thumb hang up just enough to miss by 1-2 boards.

This Wednesday, two frames in a row, I missed 7pins by 1-2 boards (the pins wiggled) and a 4-6 by not much more than that.

Last night, I tugged a 2pin and missed by a mile in the 10th to ruin a 230 game, in addition to missing a pair of 4-6s by a board.

Amyers
03-04-2016, 10:28 AM
Looking at the clues that you have provided; lack of carry of the the ten pin, pocket seven-ten, solid nine, and the fact that lower average bowlers are killing the shot, I suspect that there has been some subtle change in the oil pattern at your bowling center. This may or may not have been an intentional pattern change. It could be a change in how the machine is being maintained or a change in the type of oil or cleaner that is being used. What type of surface do you keep on your bowling balls? Do most have surface, or polish?

Have to agree with Rob here. When your posting score like that hitting the pocket and leaving consistent back row pins it's not a slump you've got a ball reaction issue.

vdubtx
03-04-2016, 10:35 AM
I certainly know the feeling. I have been in slump for about 3 months now.

Just have to keep plugging along. Getting some good practice(which I have not been able to do), usually helps me get out of it.

Keep at it ForeverinCamo!

foreverincamo
03-04-2016, 03:27 PM
I started with my OOB matte finished DV8 Ruckus Feud. Shot 204 with two opens. It was over-hooking so I switched to my Black Widow Legend, OOB finish. One split, one missed 10 pin, no strikes, 180s. That ball has an arcing finish to it so I went with the Brunswick Rhino Gold Pro Vintage OOB finish. This is my hockey-stick ball. I moved deeper into the oil and I already described that game. No matter the adjustment, something stood up.

fokai73
03-04-2016, 03:51 PM
look around the league and see how others are bowling, scoring, or averaging.

One house got popular because ppl were averaging high, 300 posted on the walls in a very fast rate - from good bowlers to 175/180 average bowlers, and the wall very strong lol.....

Now, their authority machine which oils each board (and if I remember, doesn't do reverse) is dumping more volume covering up the wall. I mean there is NO WALL!!!! I LOVE IT!!! anyway, let me calm down here.... TO SEE ALL THESE HOUSE HACKS COMPLAIN AND WHINE IS BEAUTIFUL!!!! I get text messages like: "I'm struggling, I can't get my ball to hook, I need a new ball, I suck", and on and on and on...

Okay... I'm back.... Yeah Rob may be right... Something or things have changed?? seeing others struggling could be an indication things have changed, but not as drastic as I mentioned above.

I struggled big time last jan. and parts of feb (I wan't there mentally) and I took two weeks off. I spent time with my kids and smoked some salmon that my friend caught when he visited his dad up in Alaska lol

foreverincamo
03-04-2016, 04:06 PM
My overall game was better. I hit the pocket a lot yesterday, which was an improvement. My carry was just poor. Move left = weak 10, move right = solid 10, move up = pocket 7-10, move back = solid 9. I'm going to practice Sunday morning for 2-3 hours and see what happens.

foreverincamo
03-05-2016, 04:18 PM
What's weird is two of the higher series thru old equipment and went mostly down and in. I've been throwing over third going out to around 7 and averaging around 220 until the last 4 weeks. Maybe I just need to throw my weaker, shinier equipment and go straighter. I may get my other Marauder Mutiny drilled pin-up this week and do that.

foreverincamo
03-10-2016, 11:16 PM
Lanes were super toasty. I used my polished asymmetric DV8 Thug the first game. Was playing around 7 and crushing the pocket and got nothing. One strike, six ten pins, a 9 pin, and a 7 pin. Shot in the 170's. Switched to my spare ball, a highly polished symmetric DV8 Marauder Mutiny drilled pin-under. Shot 232, 204. Almost shot average overall with a 610 series.
Gave up trying to swing an aggressive ball and went with the Thug playing outside. Just couldn't carry. The Marauder carried but it should never hook like it was tonite. Was like bowling on sand. Threw that ball over third arrow out to first arrow and it wheeled back all night. Spare shooting was better. Missed three 10 pins and chopped the 3,6,9,10 apart.

mc_runner
03-11-2016, 08:35 AM
It might be worthwhile to video your release and compare it to a video from before (if you have it). You could be doing something slightly different like opening your hips or shoulder or something subtle that is just enough to throw the release off and impact your angle into the pocket?

Amyers
03-11-2016, 09:39 AM
Lanes were super toasty. I used my polished asymmetric DV8 Thug the first game. Was playing around 7 and crushing the pocket and got nothing. One strike, six ten pins, a 9 pin, and a 7 pin. Shot in the 170's. Switched to my spare ball, a highly polished symmetric DV8 Marauder Mutiny drilled pin-under. Shot 232, 204. Almost shot average overall with a 610 series.
Gave up trying to swing an aggressive ball and went with the Thug playing outside. Just couldn't carry. The Marauder carried but it should never hook like it was tonite. Was like bowling on sand. Threw that ball over third arrow out to first arrow and it wheeled back all night. Spare shooting was better. Missed three 10 pins and chopped the 3,6,9,10 apart.

Either something in your release has changed or the shot has changed looks like you found the answer in the Mutiny. I find when the temps start going up my ball starts hooking more myself I always end up throwing weaker equipment in the spring and summer myself could be what you are seeing.

foreverincamo
03-11-2016, 10:22 AM
I was happier with my consistency to the pocket. I had no splits and missed the pocket three times. All but three first-ball shots left me single- pin spares, and I missed three 10 pins. The lanes have been different the last 5 weeks compared to the previous two months. A much straighter shot with weaker equipment worked better last night.
I'm going to practice Sunday. I do have video to compare to

foreverincamo
03-11-2016, 10:26 AM
I need to figure out a different ball for game one. I do have another Marauder Mutiny sitting at home I could get drilled pin-up and see how that would work.

Hot_pocket
03-11-2016, 10:30 AM
Have you tried taking half a step forward/ backward or raising/ lowering your ball at set-up? I hear it can help carry the 10 due to a change in speed. I know the feeling with not carrying. Last Sunday I would blow the rack on 1 lane and the other Lane would have a flying messenger that would consistently shoot behind the 10 pin. It was ridiculous. Easily could have shot better if I would have carried.

foreverincamo
03-11-2016, 10:35 AM
At least with the weaker equipment I was able to maintain around 15 mph at the pins and get to the pocket. Some guys were throwing around 20 mph. Our lead off bowler ran out of gas halfway thru game 3. He just couldn't keep up the ball speed.

foreverincamo
03-11-2016, 12:18 PM
7 straight 10 pins in game one, and I made 6 minor adjustments. The last two moves gave me the solid 9 and the half-pocket 7 pin. That ball just went too long before making its move. I hit the pocket but the angle was too steep.

foreverincamo
03-11-2016, 12:23 PM
Game three I only left one 10 pin. And missed it in the 10th. Every other leave was the 4 pin or I struck.