PDA

View Full Version : Great practice session before the sunrise

fokai73
03-13-2016, 03:51 PM
Bowling on a sport pattern (viper for the youth league) without knowing about it at first, was a great challenge. My goal today was to work on spares and since I couldn't hit the pocket and/or the spot down the lane consistently, I was leaving several types of spares - washouts and buckets included.

When I realized I wasn't on a wall shot, I changed my other plan and decided to work on my release. I wanted to see the effects of diff. axis rotation and axis tilt on the condition I was on and playing up the boards and inside the track. Also, see if I can repeat the shot when there was a release/roll that worked. It was a touchy shot - no hold and no outside, pretty tight.

The key too was to pay attention to my speed. I use the speed monitor for feed back. If I can keep my speed around 17.5mph playing up and 16.5+ when I played inside. The exit point was just outside the 10th board 38-40 ft down lane (7-9 board area). Though there were different lines (x2)I could to play on the viper today, repeating shots, speed, and focus had to be almost perfect. Unlike the House shots that hides my mistakes.

Overall, it was a good 8 games session. I normally just use 4 games to do drills/practice, but I don't always get to pactice on sport. But knowing they do this every week, I'm excited to do this in two weeks. Next, I'm at a tourney.

foreverincamo
03-13-2016, 07:01 PM
Sounds like a fun day

fokai73
03-13-2016, 08:48 PM
It was fun. It's always refreshing to bowl on patterns not made for high scores. When I go overseas (South Pacific/Asia) and local bowlers ask me where I bowl, they chuckle when I say I bowl in the mainland.

They know what kind of conditions we bowl on for leagues. Their league patterns is either a flat short or long pattern, or they have the even lanes a Sydney and odd a Tokyo for example.

185-200 averages are RESPECTABLE...

got_a_300
03-14-2016, 12:52 PM
Sounds about like our lanes here after the new owners took over and started
experimenting with the oiling machine and changed the shot now we have no
recovery area outside the 9th board and no hold area inside the 12th board so
we have around a 2 board area to hit to get to the pocket.

I guess that's why my average is so low now about 20-30 pins off but hey that
means more pins handicap for me. LOL!!!!

fokai73
03-14-2016, 01:07 PM
Sounds about like our lanes here after the new owners took over and started
experimenting with the oiling machine and changed the shot now we have no
recovery area outside the 9th board and no hold area inside the 12th board so
we have around a 2 board area to hit to get to the pocket.

I guess that's why my average is so low now about 20-30 pins off but hey that
means more pins handicap for me. LOL!!!!

What kind of machine? The authority at one house is broke and dumps more outside vs the middle. There's no bounce outside, miss right, 3 6 will be the pocket for high revrate players and 6 10 will be for the lower revrate players who were used to playing away from the pocket. lol

got_a_300
03-14-2016, 08:05 PM
What kind of machine? The authority at one house is broke and dumps more outside vs the middle. There's no bounce outside, miss right, 3 6 will be the pocket for high revrate players and 6 10 will be for the lower revrate players who were used to playing away from the pocket. lol

Sounds just like what we have here 3-6 for a high rev guy like myself and
the 6-10 for a low rev player from anywhere outside the 9th board.

We have a Kegel Crossfire machine that isn't very old it's just where they
are experimenting with the oil pattern and about to run off a lot more of
the bowlers that are still left there.

The previous owner ran off a bunch of the regulars with his bad attitude
towards the customers and now the new ones is about to run off the rest
of them it looks like.

As for myself I could care less what they do to the shot I'll just have to
make some equipment changes or just ride the tide to handicap heaven
for future tournaments. ;) LOL!!!!!!!