PDA

View Full Version : General question regarding swing

ukcatsbowler
03-14-2016, 03:26 PM
Sorry I am new to bowling. I've been trying to learn to hook. Pretty unsuccessful so far. I am signing up for lessons in the next month. I think that will help way more than anything.

I am trying to hold the ball in the following position: not completely flat but not completely as if shaking hands. Kind of in between the two.

Do I maintain this position throughout the entire swing and release?

I read where I would want my thumb pointing towards the right gutter at relate with my fingers slightly towards the left gutter.

Feel pretty lost at this point. I averaged around 130 just throwing straight but lucky to get close to 90 with trying to hook. Don't think I've hooked it once.

fokai73
03-14-2016, 06:20 PM
IMO since you're still fresh, I'd wait till you get your first of many lessons. As a beginner releasing straight off the back of the ball, rolling end over end is a great start.

With today's hooking balls, you don't need much hand "turn" to make it hook. Too many ppl over rotates trying to hook the ball which ends up spinning the ball instead.

Blomer
03-14-2016, 06:36 PM
What type of ball are you using? If your are new, are you using a house/plastic ball? Those won't hook. If you have a reactive ball, it's pretty hard not to get those to hook. I'm not the greatest giving advice, but there are many hear who are who I'm sure can help. Also your lessons will help a lot. The underhand football practice technique helped me. Very similar motion. When I release the ball, after the shaking hands motion, I raise my arm as if I am brushing my hair back, or lack of hair I have. I'm not the best at describing things here, but you will find thise site as a great resource.

Mike White
03-14-2016, 07:05 PM
Sorry I am new to bowling. I've been trying to learn to hook. Pretty unsuccessful so far. I am signing up for lessons in the next month. I think that will help way more than anything.

I am trying to hold the ball in the following position: not completely flat but not completely as if shaking hands. Kind of in between the two.

Do I maintain this position throughout the entire swing and release?

I read where I would want my thumb pointing towards the right gutter at relate with my fingers slightly towards the left gutter.

Feel pretty lost at this point. I averaged around 130 just throwing straight but lucky to get close to 90 with trying to hook. Don't think I've hooked it once.

Don't worry about trying to hook the ball for a while.

Stick with throwing it straight.

Develop a well balanced approach so you have a solid platform from which to release the ball.

Develop a nice smooth arm swing, so you can have accuracy.

Adding the ability to hook the ball to a solid platform is a lot easier than learning how to hook the ball first, then try to develop a balanced approach.

Amyers
03-15-2016, 12:14 AM
Good call on getting a coach. Mikes right about developing your approach before worrying about the hook. If you have a solid apriach and timing you'll find the hook comes much easier even if it doesn't look as cool at first.

ukcatsbowler
03-15-2016, 06:38 AM
Thanks guys. I do have a mild reactive ball. An ebonite cyclone that I was fitted for two weeks ago.

jab5325
03-15-2016, 08:54 AM
Thanks guys. I do have a mild reactive ball. An ebonite cyclone that I was fitted for two weeks ago.

You'll get hook with the Cyclone eventually. I have a guy in my Thursday league who averages 220 with one and throws a huge hook.

That said, don't try to be that guy.

MWhite is 100% correct. Focus on the simple things of your approach, timing, and being able to hit your target. The lessons will help tremendously! Take as many as you can afford.

Aslan
03-15-2016, 03:35 PM
1) My ex-Tuesday league anchor bowled with just a Cyclone and averaged > 190.

2) Look on the bright side...bowling is a sport that you tend to get better at very quickly in the beginning as you fix small things...that have big impacts. So, you'll be a pretty valuable league bowler in the next 1-2 years as that 130 average moves to a 160 average.

Like golf...it also gets more enjoyable as you get better at it. The key is not to have a bad outing and say, "%*&# %$&*%!" I remember when I first took up golf and would shoot 172-182 over 18 holes. It was miserable. I couldn't imagine why anyone would think golf was fun. It was just randomly hitting the ball as hard as I could...most of the time completely in the wrong direction...then hitting it 8 more times trying to get to the green...then putting 3-5 times to get it in the hole. I'd go through 19 balls a round...most of which I hit and just couldn't find.

Now...am I MUCH better at golf today? NO. Well...I'm better. Now I can get down in the 102-129 range...still not good...but man is the game more enjoyable. Still frustrating...still makes me crazy...but it's more fun...and it doesn't take 6.5 hours to play 18 holes.

Amyers
03-16-2016, 11:38 PM
1) My ex-Tuesday league anchor bowled with just a Cyclone and averaged > 190.

2) Look on the bright side...bowling is a sport that you tend to get better at very quickly in the beginning as you fix small things...that have big impacts. So, you'll be a pretty valuable league bowler in the next 1-2 years as that 130 average moves to a 160 average.

Like golf...it also gets more enjoyable as you get better at it. The key is not to have a bad outing and say, "%*&# %$&*%!" I remember when I first took up golf and would shoot 172-182 over 18 holes. It was miserable. I couldn't imagine why anyone would think golf was fun. It was just randomly hitting the ball as hard as I could...most of the time completely in the wrong direction...then hitting it 8 more times trying to get to the green...then putting 3-5 times to get it in the hole. I'd go through 19 balls a round...most of which I hit and just couldn't find.

Now...am I MUCH better at golf today? NO. Well...I'm better. Now I can get down in the 102-129 range...still not good...but man is the game more enjoyable. Still frustrating...still makes me crazy...but it's more fun...and it doesn't take 6.5 hours to play 18 holes.

I played in junior high and high school got down to the 100-120 range myself never did figure out how to play without loosing half a dozen balls though. My eye site just isn't that good.

ukcatsbowler
03-17-2016, 08:02 AM
I played competitively in high school starting in the 8th grade. Didn't start really scoring well until after college. I guess once I quit playing competitively it was less pressure. If you think bowling is expensive just look at the cost of golf clubs and green fees etc.

Mike White
03-17-2016, 10:03 AM
I played in junior high and high school got down to the 100-120 range myself never did figure out how to play without loosing half a dozen balls though. My eye site just isn't that good.

The first round of golf I ever played I finished with a score of -7.

I started with a dozen balls, and finished with 5, therefore -7.

Hey, you score your way, I'll score mine.

Amyers
03-17-2016, 10:10 AM
The first round of golf I ever played I finished with a score of -7.

I started with a dozen balls, and finished with 5, therefore -7.

Hey, you score your way, I'll score mine.

Lol I like that mike