PDA

View Full Version : 2 Motiv balls banned???

fordman1
03-15-2016, 03:08 PM
I just read a post saying that 2 Motiv balls were having their certification revoked. Any body know what is up?

fordman1
03-15-2016, 03:42 PM
Seems it is the Jackal and Jackal Carnage. USBC say by by.

LyalC52
03-15-2016, 04:06 PM
USBC is reporting that field samples have been out of spec

mc_runner
03-15-2016, 04:40 PM
Yep.

ARLINGTON, Texas – The United States Bowling Congress has revoked approval of two Motiv brand bowling balls and removed them from the list of balls approved for competition effective today, March 15, 2016. The revocation comes after USBC determined that the Jackal and Jackal Carnage balls do not comply with current specifications and requirements in the USBC Equipment Specifications and Certifications Manual.

USBC testing showed a significant percentage of the Jackal and Jackal Carnage, both produced by Motiv, exceeded the maximum 0.060" differential radius of gyration standard specification during spot checks of bowling balls in the field. Both balls were originally approved based on test balls submitted by Motiv. The Jackal had been approved for competition in Sept. 2014 while the Jackal Carnage was approved for use in late Dec. 2015.

The following section of the Equipment Specifications and Certifications Manual details USBC governance in this situation:

"The USBC possesses the right to spot check bowling balls during the course of the year. USBC approval may be revoked if it is determined that the production balls are significantly different than the submitted test balls or do not comply with current specifications and requirements outlined in the USBC Equipment Specifications and Certifications Manual."

Pursuant to the penalties outlined in the USBC Equipment Specifications and Certification Manual, Motiv is placed on probationary status with USBC for one year, and subject to a fine of $16,000.

Unapproved bowling balls may not be used in USBC certified competition. Bowlers who used the Jackal or Jackal Carnage in competition on or before March 15, 2016 with no prior knowledge of their ball being out of specification would not be subject to forfeiture under USBC rules.

vdubtx
03-16-2016, 12:20 PM
USBC is reporting that field samples have been out of spec

Yup, Jackal averaged at a .0616 differential and Carnage averaged at .0604.

Aslan
03-16-2016, 02:18 PM
Yup, Jackal averaged at a .0616 differential and Carnage averaged at .0604.

But remember, that's an "average".

1) They would have used a "significant sample size" which I can almost guarantee was 10 or more.
2) Given how unprecedented this is, and how hurtful and damaging it is going to be to the "boy wonder" of a company in Motiv....they're gonna be "sure".
3) Motiv did not fight it in the least.

If it was a Storm Crux...and the results were 0.054, 0.055, 0.077, 0.054, 0.049, 0.062, 0.061, 0.048, 0.072, 0.071....that's a 0.0603 average. I imagine, they'd test another 10 balls to "make sure". And if Storm got a report from the USBC saying they field tested the Crux and the average is 0.0603...Storm has sold SO many Cruxes...a recall would be in the millions of $$$...so they'd fight like hell(o) to show that a 0.0003 above acceptable is not within the testing degree of error...and is statistically insignificant.

So, to AVERAGE a 0.0616 or 0.0604...AND have the USBC make a case...AND Motiv isn't fighting it....and is just gonna shell out about $750,000 to resolve the issue....it's probably not just 1-2 balls being out of spec. If HALF the Jackals were at 0.059....then the other half need to be > 0.0610....in order to average >0.060. And if it's close, given the unprecedented nature of this....the USBC probably tested quite a few balls.

It would be interesting to see the actual data.

vdubtx
03-16-2016, 03:52 PM
But remember, that's an "average".

I know, that's why I said "Averaged".

Didn't think that needed an explanation.

Aslan
03-16-2016, 06:50 PM
I know, that's why I said "Averaged".

Didn't think that needed an explanation.

I wasn't necessarily explaining it for your benefit. Obviously you have a far superior intellect.

But what are the odds that someone ELSE...reads that and goes, "0.0004! One ball is a little over and the USBC throws a fit!!!!?" And before you say that is unlikely....go back and read the Facebook page... :rolleyes:

Jessiewoodard57
03-17-2016, 10:02 AM
To help those effected by the recall, a few of the PSOs in my area are offering to drill replacement Motiv balls for free no matter if you bought your original Jackal from them or not

billf
03-21-2016, 03:03 AM
Is it bad of me to say I hated how the Carnage layout worked for me so this is to my benefit? lol

scottymoney
03-21-2016, 10:10 AM
Is it bad of me to say I hated how the Carnage layout worked for me so this is to my benefit? lol

I have a similar benefit that I got a used Jackal on ebay for $70 but it had yet to be drilled, was in the process of being plugged. I will be getting either the Havoc or Vengeance for the replacement unless they announce that a replacement Jackal ball will be released in the next month or two, I may wait it out. One thing is for sure, the new Venom Cobra will find a nice spot in my bag right after release.