PDA

View Full Version : League Teammate Horror Stories

Aslan
03-23-2016, 02:08 PM
I figured this might be an interesting topic...because I gotta think that almost every bowler that has ever bowled league has at least one story.

Presently, I have a dilemma. I joined a league...first league in this house...and I just got assigned a team. It was an older lady (about 50ish) and a younger gal (26-28). We had a vacant spot.

Week 2, the vacant spot got filled by the younger teammates love intersest. That lasted 2-3 weeks, they broke up. Then, her 2nd love interest joined. That lasted one week and then he went to jail on a meth distribution warrant. Then she brought a "friend" and he joined the team. He's a strange dude...I guess he has mental issues...and apparently they had dated in the past but are "just friends".

Well, long story short...he wanted to be "more than friends" and she did not. She kinda just used him and treated him badly...one story in particular he and her went out for her birthday and she met two other guys and they all went to a strip club...but he (our teammate) didn't have money to get in...so he waited for 3.5 hours in the parking lot. She claims he's a stalker...he claims she is manipulating him. Two weeks ago, he showed up with a friend and a girl...and our female teammate started crying and claimed the girl that was with him had drugged her and raped her a few weeks before. The male teammate claims that never happened and she (our female teammate) was making that up and actually didn't want the girl there because she owed that girl like $300 and didn't want to pay her. Then this past week, the girl shows up with a new boyfriend...she's hanging all over him...the younger guy teammate is pissed and obsessing about it...now he wants to quit the team.

To make matters worse, drama aside, the younger female teammate is a NIGHTMARE....and everyone in the league knows it. She's been kicked off of two teams because she shows up late almost every week...can't hold down a job for more than a month so is always having payment issues...and she's usually in the bar or smoking when it's her turn to bowl. Not to mention, she averages 92.

I hate to bail on this team with 8 weeks left...but if I wanted drama and the like....I'd have stayed married. I think there's a team of old women that don't have an anchor....maybe it's time to cut my losses and talk to the league secretary...ask to go from the 3rd to last place team...to the last place team. But, with only 8 weeks left till sweeps....I dunno. :confused:

chrono00
03-23-2016, 02:41 PM
Worst I can think of is summer league one year. Usually it's me and the same 3 guys every year. This particular year two of them couldn't because of work. So the other guy asked me what I thought about asking two girls we knew to join. Neither r really bowlers just for fun, they r party drinking types so figured it'd be fun. I told him the one girl would show up fine wouldn't be a problem, but garuntee the other one who is flaky and a pain in the *** disseapears half way through.

So right on cue around the halfway point, she gets a new bfs or something and no one hears from her the rest of the summer. To make it even better, we were in 1-2 place I think at the time, she disappears, then like 2 weeks later the other guy on the team gets hurt and can't bowl. So the last 3-4 weeks were just me and the one girl. Good times

Amyers
03-23-2016, 03:07 PM
Well I'm pretty sure I will never have the problem you've got I know most of the better bowlers in the area and can usually field a reasonably experienced team. The only way I'm ending up with a 90 average bowler is if it's one of my teammates wives and know he's going to be working with her through the season. I will have to say this years Friday night league has been a bit of a nightmare though. We ended up putting together a team at the last minute as the center that we had been bowling at closed.

Four Person Mixed League

My Wife- 2nd year bowling and had to bowl left handed part of her first season due to surgery. Started off with a 125 average now about 155.
An older Friend- In his 60's used to be really good but has had back to back surgeries on his back over the last year. Started 160 now 143
Me- I'm decent not good and this house has caused me problems from about the 4th week on. Started 198 now 185
The Anchor- Good bowler not great but thinks he is. Started 210 now 201

This house has less friction than any other house in the state, uses Twister pins, and honestly never carried well before they put in the Twister pins and heavier oil pattern. I average a full 10 pins less here than any other house I bowl in. The league high average is 215 and there are some really good bowlers in this house.

Problems started when the Anchor's friend started showing up and decided he could fix everyone's game. At first it wasn't annoying just a tip here or there. Then he started on we don't have enough "fun" which apparently consists of putting everyone else including your teammates down. I'm not above joking about hanging someone or giving them crap over a lucky shot but again it just got out of hand. Finally it reached a point where he was analyzing every shot everyone threw during the night and doing nothing but giving grief to everyone. the guys also an old school stroker and thinks everyone should bowl that style. It doesn't matter what I do I will never be able to stand on 15 and throw my strike ball down 8. I just don't have the ball speed for it. My wife was about to kill him and even the older guy who was friends with him had had enough. Had a huge blowup over it with the anchor who's pissed off because the team doesn't win enough games. Finally decided the coach wasn't coming back and I seriously doubt that the anchor will bowl with us next year.

I don't know it's been one of those years the older guy still thinks he should be good and get depressed because he's not doing better, We seem to get everyone's best games against us, My wife has improved but is inconsistent, and I just can't seem to find a line where I can carry in this house at all. The crazy thing really is we're all either really hot and unbeatable or all cold at the same time there is no balance to it. The team holds the top league game scores for all three spots in scratch and handicap but we are in last place because rarely can we all string more than one good game together. I really thought at the beginning of the year we were going to at least contend but it just hasn't worked out.

Blomer
03-23-2016, 10:11 PM
Wow! That first post was crazy!! Kids, don't do drugs!! Don't have any stories like anything mentioned. Kinda boring over here!

BrianG
03-24-2016, 09:10 AM
I had a guy in my mixed league only show up for 18 of 34 weeks. Most of the time he didn't show up I found out he was subbing at another alley. We were in a roll of for the second half and we had to win all three games. Lost the first game and he decided that he didn't want to bowl the last two games. Ended up losing all 3 games and dropping down to 4th place. He didn't even leave the alley he just went over and watched his friend bowl for the rest of the night.

Aslan
03-24-2016, 12:24 PM
Wow! That first post was crazy!! Kids, don't do drugs!! Don't have any stories like anything mentioned. Kinda boring over here!

Well, as of yesterday, I told the team captain either the younger gal goes or I go. She called the league secretary and the younger gal is now no longer on the team.

I feel bad for her, but bowling...especially in a non-competitive team is supposed to be fun...and the last few weeks...nobody has been having fun. The young guy feels bad because he feels like he got her kicked off...and she obviously blames him...but me and the captain are just sick of babysitting 27-year olds acting like 6th graders. Once ya hit about 30-35...ya just don't have the desire to deal with "drama" anymore. Like the captain said and I said..."we just wanna bowl".

The younger gal shows up late almost every week. I don't how many games we've lost just because of her tardiness. She's virtually never in the area when it's her turn...we always have to walk around the bowling center trying to find her. Nearly every other team has complained. She's been kicked off of 1-2 teams prior for similar reasons. Last week, when she DID bowl, she was throwing the ball with one hand while talking on the cell phone. Hard to average higher than a 96 when you just walk up and drop the ball while in the middle of a phone conversation.

So, maybe things will be better the last 8 weeks. We'll see.

Amyers
03-24-2016, 02:01 PM
Well, as of yesterday, I told the team captain either the younger gal goes or I go. She called the league secretary and the younger gal is now no longer on the team.

I feel bad for her, but bowling...especially in a non-competitive team is supposed to be fun...and the last few weeks...nobody has been having fun. The young guy feels bad because he feels like he got her kicked off...and she obviously blames him...but me and the captain are just sick of babysitting 27-year olds acting like 6th graders. Once ya hit about 30-35...ya just don't have the desire to deal with "drama" anymore. Like the captain said and I said..."we just wanna bowl".

The younger gal shows up late almost every week. I don't how many games we've lost just because of her tardiness. She's virtually never in the area when it's her turn...we always have to walk around the bowling center trying to find her. Nearly every other team has complained. She's been kicked off of 1-2 teams prior for similar reasons. Last week, when she DID bowl, she was throwing the ball with one hand while talking on the cell phone. Hard to average higher than a 96 when you just walk up and drop the ball while in the middle of a phone conversation.

So, maybe things will be better the last 8 weeks. We'll see.

Sounds like you made the right decision. Next time don't wait 20 weeks to do it. LOL

Aslan
03-24-2016, 05:05 PM
Sounds like you made the right decision. Next time don't wait 20 weeks to do it. LOL

Yeah. You and I are finally in 100% agreement! :D

Amyers
03-24-2016, 06:57 PM
Yeah. You and I are finally in 100% agreement! :D

Well I guess it's was bound to happen sooner or later

Aslan
03-24-2016, 07:57 PM
Well I guess it's was bound to happen sooner or later

And now fiery places freeze over, pigs fly, and the World collapses upon itself.

Timmyb
03-24-2016, 09:26 PM
We have a guy on our team that has bowled 12 of the 29 weeks so far. He does pay, though, which seems a little silly. However, you, my friend, are bowling in Hell......

mc_runner
03-25-2016, 11:51 AM
Nothing too bad, we were all friends but we did have someone in a league where minimum average is 140 bowl 6 games in a row under 100. He just never learned how to bowl properly, then thought too much, and got worse and worse. He's not in the league this year...

Tampabaybob
06-14-2016, 09:07 PM
Wow...and I thought I'd had some bad experiences !!

LOUVIT
06-15-2016, 05:26 PM
I figured this might be an interesting topic...because I gotta think that almost every bowler that has ever bowled league has at least one story.

Presently, I have a dilemma. I joined a league...first league in this house...and I just got assigned a team. It was an older lady (about 50ish) and a younger gal (26-28). We had a vacant spot.

Week 2, the vacant spot got filled by the younger teammates love intersest. That lasted 2-3 weeks, they broke up. Then, her 2nd love interest joined. That lasted one week and then he went to jail on a meth distribution warrant. Then she brought a "friend" and he joined the team. He's a strange dude...I guess he has mental issues...and apparently they had dated in the past but are "just friends".

Well, long story short...he wanted to be "more than friends" and she did not. She kinda just used him and treated him badly...one story in particular he and her went out for her birthday and she met two other guys and they all went to a strip club...but he (our teammate) didn't have money to get in...so he waited for 3.5 hours in the parking lot. She claims he's a stalker...he claims she is manipulating him. Two weeks ago, he showed up with a friend and a girl...and our female teammate started crying and claimed the girl that was with him had drugged her and raped her a few weeks before. The male teammate claims that never happened and she (our female teammate) was making that up and actually didn't want the girl there because she owed that girl like $300 and didn't want to pay her. Then this past week, the girl shows up with a new boyfriend...she's hanging all over him...the younger guy teammate is pissed and obsessing about it...now he wants to quit the team.

To make matters worse, drama aside, the younger female teammate is a NIGHTMARE....and everyone in the league knows it. She's been kicked off of two teams because she shows up late almost every week...can't hold down a job for more than a month so is always having payment issues...and she's usually in the bar or smoking when it's her turn to bowl. Not to mention, she averages 92.

I hate to bail on this team with 8 weeks left...but if I wanted drama and the like....I'd have stayed married. I think there's a team of old women that don't have an anchor....maybe it's time to cut my losses and talk to the league secretary...ask to go from the 3rd to last place team...to the last place team. But, with only 8 weeks left till sweeps....I dunno. :confused:

sounds like a Law and Order SVU episode I seen

LOUVIT
06-15-2016, 05:33 PM
My first real league in 25+ years will be an afternoon senior league. i was pressured last week to be team mates with 2 women and an former pro. So this week none of them showed up' true the league doesn't start until September but this being my first real league I want people that will show. I have no clue why but like 5 people asked me if I had a team and I said yes I already do. So now what? I guess wait until next week and tell them I am serious if your not I'll find others. I've never been one to be blunt but I'm too old for garbage. bowling was my life way back when and I'm serious about it now. I should add we only bowl in a practice league now, so a no show isn't important yet

Mike White
06-15-2016, 09:34 PM

I guess I've been lucky because my "Horror Story" wasn't very bad, and had a happy ending.

In a scratch leagues that paid significant money, one of the team members lost his job and had to quit.

We replaced him rather quickly, but the replacement turned out to be a major flake.

So, I decided to pay for that spot and had someone who was a regular in the league that bowled just before us act as a permanent substitute.

When our team ended up winning the league, each person won enough to much more than pay for the cost of bowling.

My investment in the extra spot ended up being a profitable decision, even after I paid the replacement enough to cover his earlier leagues cost.

jimgilmore
06-15-2016, 10:06 PM
Hello LOUVIT, You said the league starts in Sept . What was today ? Practice ?

got_a_300
06-16-2016, 12:15 PM
Hello LOUVIT, You said the league starts in Sept . What was today ? Practice ?

I should add we only bowl in a practice league now, so a no show isn't important yet

Yes I'd have to say it is practice.

Jaescrub
06-19-2016, 12:06 PM
I have always bowled with my close friends so no horror story here. But my friends bowled a summer league with a guy that got kicked out of the bowling center for life after he stalked and put unwanted hands on some one that worked at the lanes.