PDA

View Full Version : Lanes Transition

Goose
03-26-2016, 08:27 AM
I was bowling yesterday to practice with my new balls, and noticed that my ball was hitting the pocket but it was hitting with a thud (its didn't make that sound) just the way it hit, and then continued to leave one pin usually the 9, I am right handed. The previous 2 days of tossing the ball these shots would have carried all ten pins. I am throwing the ball slower than my normal, at 16.5 to 17 mph, during all 3 sessions.

Anyway, I happened onto a video on YouTube about the lanes transitioning and the ball losing power and thought maybe that is the reason?!

So, What to do to correct?
More power in the throw
Different ball
Or another idea?

Good News, I got some really good spare practice and converted almost all, but its hard to reach 200 with just one strike/game.

ChuckR
03-26-2016, 11:20 AM
We see that condition very often in the 2 leagues I bowl in. They are at 2 different lanes and use different oil and patterns. What was the video you found.
The Melee Hook I won allowed me to have a ball up(Mastermind Genius) and ball down(Rotogrip UpRoar). These balls give me a better chance to stick it to the lanes
instead of them warping my brain trying to figure out the correct adjustment during and not after league.

J Anderson
03-26-2016, 09:37 PM
I was bowling yesterday to practice with my new balls, and noticed that my ball was hitting the pocket but it was hitting with a thud (its didn't make that sound) just the way it hit, and then continued to leave one pin usually the 9, I am right handed. The previous 2 days of tossing the ball these shots would have carried all ten pins. I am throwing the ball slower than my normal, at 16.5 to 17 mph, during all 3 sessions.

Anyway, I happened onto a video on YouTube about the lanes transitioning and the ball losing power and thought maybe that is the reason?!

More power in the throw
Different ball
Or another idea?

Good News, I got some really good spare practice and converted almost all, but its hard to reach 200 with just one strike/game.
Leaving the nine for a right hander is a sign that the ball isn't deflecting enough. Throwing slower may have caused the ball to enter the pocket at a steeper angle or finish a bit higher on the head pin.

Mike White
03-26-2016, 09:58 PM

More power in the throw
Different ball
Or another idea?

Based on the description, pocket, thud, 9 pin, I've got to believe something didn't happen quite as you described.

A pocket 9 pin usually produces more of a cracking type sound.

So I have to assume what you left was really a 9 pin, because it's kind of hard to get that wrong.

I also have to assume the sound you heard was more of the thud. Sounds we are usually fairly good at describing.

So I figure what might be wrong is the fact of hitting the pocket.

If you hit the headpin higher than normal, that would explain the different sound as pins collide with other pins in a different pattern.

Hitting higher also explains the tendency to leave the 9 pin.

Since the ball starts out hitting the head pin further left than normal, you would naturally expect the ball to exit the lane further left than normal.

billf
04-04-2016, 03:57 AM
Something sounds wrong....